PDA

View Full Version : Got some logs the other day, what do I seal with?

Chris Pasko
01-31-2004, 1:38 AM
I picks up a couple sections of oak about 30" diameter and 6' long or so. Absolute bear to move, but I made it =). I have them sitting in my yard now and want to try and get them off the ground.

I understand I need to seal the ends? Will any paint work for this? Also, is it only the end grain that needs to be sealed, or anywhere there is a cut?

Thanks,

Chris

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-31-2004, 6:32 AM
Chris, nice score on the log sections! The best thing for sealing the ends is a product called Anchorseal. You can check the product out at:
www.uccoatings.com. Latex paint, a few thick coats, will also do the job to prevent the end grain from checking. Usually, I only coat the end grain portion of a Log that I leave whole. If you are going to slab the logs into Turning Blanks, some seal all exposed wood. What I have found to work when slabbing for blanks is to seal the end grain, and then several inches down the face of the Slab on either end. With some wood that is more prone to bad checks, such as Cherry, I will seal the entire blank. Good Luck Chris, sounds like a good bunch of Oak ya got there. I'l bet those monsters were fun to wrestle around! ;)

Jim Becker
01-31-2004, 8:55 AM
A second on the Anchorseal. It's the right product for the job and the bucket will last you a very long time. Be sure to get the "below freezing" formula unless your shop is heated during the coldest days.

Dennis Peacock
01-31-2004, 6:01 PM
Chris,

I cast my vote along with Kevin and Jim...Anchorseal....It is a great product, inexpensive and a little can go a long way. Once you try it, you will want to use it on all you turning blanks that you are now collecting.

Chris Pasko
01-31-2004, 6:14 PM
Thanks guys, I will go ahead and grab some of that.

As for the wrestling....shwew, I slept well that night =). Luckily I had an excavator to load it up at the site, and a big skid steer here to unload it and position it. I have been contemplating a logosol or norwood mill to start cutting some lumber as I have access to many trees, and a couple nice clear large cherries that are downed on my property now.

I have a 30' 36" diameter red oak clear the whole way waiting for me at my friends farm down the road =), thats the next project hehe.