PDA

View Full Version : Sign Makers Read This From Dupont

Keith Outten
09-11-2007, 10:22 PM
This afternoon I was invited to an unveiling of Dupont's new Corian colors for this year. During my visit I met Marcy Cross-Spiron who is a Regional Sales Manager and Todd Apple the Regional Director - Americas. I discussed with both of them the problem that sign companies have getting certified to purchase Corian and I was assured that Dupont will help any sign company that wants to start purchasing Corian.

All it will take is a phone call or email to Daniel Andersen, he will take care of getting your company setup with your local distributor. You will not have to pay any fee or satisfy any equipment prerequisites. Call or email Daniel and provide your company information and he will do the rest. This offer is for businesses, there is no provision for individuals to purchase Corian that I know of at this time.

The person to contact is:

Daniel S. Andersen
daniel.s.andersen@usa.dupont.com
Cell Phone# 847-274-7076

Make sure you mention my name (Keith Outten) and that you were told to contact Daniel about getting certified to purchase Corian. I would email him first. Tell him you are in the business of making signs and are not a counter top installer.

Dupont has created 19 new colors for this year. Two of the new colors are transparent (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65232) and will most likely be real popular with those who make lithophanes (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56128&highlight=lithophanes). Both of the transparent colors (Glacier Ice and Arctic Ice) are variations of white and I was told that there will be more transparent colors available soon. Many of the new colors are stone style colors and will be excellent materials for sign makers.

Craig Hogarth
09-13-2007, 11:58 AM
What is the standard size for corian and how much can you generally look to spend on it? Is there typically a minimum purchase amount?

Ed Carpenter
09-19-2007, 7:20 PM
SolidSurface.com (http://solidsurface.com) has been offering all sizes of remnant/surplus pieces of Corian and other major brands for a while now. They also just started offering full sheets of b-grade material (the stuff that doesn't make the official cut). This resource would be perfect for signmakers and anyone else who wants to get their hands on some solid surface material.

Keith Outten
09-20-2007, 6:10 AM
What is the standard size for corian and how much can you generally look to spend on it? Is there typically a minimum purchase amount?

Craig,

Corian is sold in 1/2" thick sheets 144" long and 30" wide. It is also available in 1/4" thick sheets 96" long and 30" wide. There are a few colors that you can still order that are 3/4" thick. A distributor will normally sell you one full sheet or more, there are no half or quarter sheets that I am aware of.

There are four price ranges from my local distributor and I expect they will vary depending on your location given the shipping fees associated with sheets that are as heavy as Corian. Prices range from $260.00 to $475.00 per sheet in my area. At first glance it seems expensive but I have found Corian to be dirt cheap as a sign material. Lower finishing costs, less painting and the ability to use it on interior as well as exterior projects are major advantages. Labor costs are much lower than any other type of material I have used and customers love the look of Corian.

I am aware that Dupont has always had a "B" grade but in the past they destroyed it to prevent it from being used in the counter top trade. I will do some checking to see if it is commercially available for sign makers now. The problem with purchasing Corian over the Net is shipping costs due to the weight. I expect the cost of purchasing from a local distributor would more than offset the lesser cost of ordering from out of state. My shop scraps USPS flat rate shipping boxes that are 8.5" by 11" by 5.5" weigh about 40 pounds when they are full of Corian.

Kevin L. Waldron
11-12-2008, 5:26 PM
After not being contacted by a Corian dealer I contacted a company that sells Hanex. We have been buying their product which I find of good quality. I assume it is priced according because when doing research on the web the prices are close or slightly cheaper. I usually buy 6 to 12 sheets at a time and have found the product works great.

Thanks,

Kevin

Mick A Martin
07-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks Keith for posting this information I contacted Daniel and I am now setup to buy Corian.

Mick

Elliott Wesley
08-09-2010, 10:48 PM
good tips, thx a lot

Anthony Albano
08-11-2010, 6:46 PM
Is Corian being used for outdoor signs also? How would it hold up to UV/Sun and how about expansion/contraction with the weather? Thanks

Keith Outten
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Corian is an excellent choice for exterior signs. Dupont says it should last up to 50 years in an exterior application.

All materials expand and contract but I don't think Corian has the thermal growth that acrylic does.

I have some exterior signs that have been in service for five years and they still look great.

Jim Underwood
08-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Could a Cabinet Shop get set up to buy the stuff?

I'm primarily interested in getting it for carving and signage. With the housing sector in a slump, a shop needs all the diversity it can get...

Keith Outten
08-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Jim,

If you are going to be making counter tops you must get the Dupont certification otherwise your customers will not be eligible for the warranty.

Sign shops don't need the certification.

Jim Underwood
08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't anticipate making counter tops.

Ian Stewart-Koster
10-14-2017, 10:07 PM
What guidelines are there to routing the stuff- I've always been told 'avoid it like the plague - it'll ruin your cutters!' but a job came through needing a logo routed 5mm deep into a counter front in Corian. I suggested the corian supplier might be able to do it, and I sent them the vectors.

Curt Harms
10-15-2017, 8:28 AM
What guidelines are there to routing the stuff- I've always been told 'avoid it like the plague - it'll ruin your cutters!' but a job came through needing a logo routed 5mm deep into a counter front in Corian. I suggested the corian supplier might be able to do it, and I sent them the vectors.

That's not my (limited) experience. Stuff cuts and routes fine with carbide woodworking tooling, that's what fabricators use. I tried cutting a little with a carbon steel bandsaw blade and again, no issues. Solidsurface.com has small pieces for anyone who wants to experiment. I've used bits for feet on outdoor wooden stuff. Sand any gloss off, drill a couple holes and countersink them, epoxy the corian pads to the bottom of the wood and I put a couple brass screws to hold until the epoxy sets and also for reinforcement. Several years and no degradation. Lots of moisture but not much UV exposure. I got scraps from a fabricator's scrap barrel, small pieces mostly.

Keith Outten
10-15-2017, 12:21 PM
Corian routes and cuts easily and it won't damage or reduce the life of your carbide bits or saw blades. Go slow, this is the only thing you need to know, I have had 1/4" spiral router bits cut more than 20 full sheets of Corian sign blanks (60 plaques from each sheet) and the bit is still serviceable. A good carbide band saw blade will cut Corian like softwood. I have a one inch band saw blade and i can rip Corian about as fast as I can push it through the blade. Routing has to be done slower to keep the heat down, the good news is that you don't have to worry about the edges burning when you route them at any speed.

Dupont says that Corian will last 50 years in exterior service, you never have to worry about UV exposure.