PDA

View Full Version : Drum making - I have the wrong lathe !

Brian Weick
09-11-2007, 5:59 PM
I Thought I had all the wright tools, the write lathe , the write process. I was way off! I have the wrong lathe to start with and I can't move my van in the backyard- thats the first problem, I don't know how I am going to connect my lathe spindle to the rear wheel On my van - I'm going to need a drive shaft and some universal joints for starters. I don't have the parting tool they have either. and the cutting mechanism assembly is something I don't have as well. Everything is so precise and I will never be able to achieve the clean cuts they do- that's out of my league , I am so embarrassed :eek: I guess it's back to the drawing board.:( see for yourself ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-Ss6I5W7E
Brian

Harvey M. Taylor
09-11-2007, 6:12 PM
May I suggest you quit while you are ahead. Looks like it is uphill from where you are. Max

Dustin Cranford
09-11-2007, 6:25 PM
You might be a redneck if.........

Mike A. Smith
09-11-2007, 6:26 PM
Thinking about getting one of those coring bits for my mini-lathe...

Dick Strauss
09-11-2007, 6:27 PM
Brian,
You are right...you have the wrong tools for making that hill-billy lathe. Notice the precisely crafted rim done with an electric chainsaw. I could never hope to achieve that level of quality in one of my pieces. I could never have a glass of wine with those folks either (it probably takes a 5 gallon bottle to fill it).

Jim Becker
09-11-2007, 7:21 PM
LOL!

Seriously, we can all laugh a lot about that, but you know what? That fellow is darn clever and is producing a product in a very effective way...you have to admire the ingenuity!

Brian Weick
09-11-2007, 7:27 PM
LOL!

Seriously, we can all laugh a lot about that, but you know what? That fellow is darn clever and is producing a product in a very effective way...you have to admire the ingenuity!

Really,
I can tell you one thing Jim, if I was to build a homemade lathe I would have never thought of my van as the power drive system ~ and it really was a clever idea the way they designed it! I thought it was pretty cool, just a little unorthodox - I couldn't believe my eyes!- but yes - an ingenious idea that is.
Brian

Bill Stevener
09-11-2007, 9:20 PM
Sure beets a bowl gouge. :D

Shane Whitlock
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Now that is too cool! ...lol ... Very efficient and probably a whole lot safer than turning a log that size on the lathe.
Wood be a great way to rough out your drums Brian and then finish it on the lathe ;)

Brian Weick
09-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Now that is too cool! ...lol ... Very efficient and probably a whole lot safer than turning a log that size on the lathe.
Wood be a great way to rough out your drums Brian and then finish it on the lathe ;)

Yea,
Shane, that would take a chunk of time out of that process - that's for sure. Unfortunately and realistically for me, a precise cut, I don't think that will work out ;even if I had my machinist make that for me. Tail stock - no matter how strong the MT bit is, and mine is #4 1" thick at the neck-that would either snap it write off like a pretzel break or spin in the quill. I was just putting this up because I can not get over what some people will do to turn wood? -----LOL
Happy turnings
Brian

Jon Lanier
09-11-2007, 10:52 PM
So that's who makes all those super large chess pieces. :rolleyes:

Kevin McPeek
09-12-2007, 12:52 AM
That thing reminds me of this diabolical thing my dad had for splitting wood. He would bolt it onto the hub on our blazer and stick a log on it and it would basically thread itself on until it split. He would do it like the guys who use a screw chuck and just hold the blank up to the spinning lathe...surprised he is still alive.

Ernie Kuhn
09-12-2007, 3:20 AM
Necessity is the mother of invention. Guy is a genious! And, using an air-powered chain saw for final trimming?
Impressed the heck out of me.
Ernie

Guy Germaine
09-12-2007, 6:48 AM
I didn't know Stihl made a "power" parting tool! :eek:

Brian Weick
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Necessity is the mother of invention. Guy is a genious! And, using an air-powered chain saw for final trimming?
Impressed the heck out of me.
Ernie

Ernie,
that was an electric chain saw parting tool for your lathe- not air. I wouldn't want you to get the wrong parting tool- that will really effect the precision when you cut the ends off! Who would of thought- my hat goes off to that guy , seriously- what a concept!
Brian

Ernie Kuhn
09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Brian,
Just watched it again, just as entertaining as the first time. In the final scenes, trimming the ends off, looks like same chain saw used earlier but, looks like air hose coming out the back, with an in-line oiler/or moisture filter? I'm probably wrong but, that last bit looks like the hose/filter setup I have on some of my compressor powered stuff. Still applauding the ingenuity of the whole setup. Amazing.
Ernie

Brian Weick
09-12-2007, 5:17 PM
Brian,
Just watched it again, just as entertaining as the first time. In the final scenes, trimming the ends off, looks like same chain saw used earlier but, looks like air hose coming out the back, with an in-line oiler/or moisture filter? I'm probably wrong but, that last bit looks like the hose/filter setup I have on some of my compressor powered stuff. Still applauding the ingenuity of the whole setup. Amazing.
Ernie

Ernie,
I could be wrong as well- I have never worked with the advanced method of parting your work with that specialty tool they own- frankly, I don't know how I missed that"- I mean isn't obvious- we have had our heads in the sand ~ how did that idea get by us,hmmmmm
-Does the Air Chainsaw parting tool do a better job, you know- a cleaner cut - or does the electric chainsaw parting tool do a better job, I'm not sure which one to get - I looked in my woodworker magazines last night and call me sally, but I don't see the tool listed in there, just some manual chisel parting tool- who in their write frame of mind would ever buy that thing ~ please - I mean really! :p
Brian

Ernie Kuhn
09-12-2007, 6:38 PM
Brian,
Googled it. Found CS Unitec, Norwalk, Ct. 10" to 25" bar, 1.2 to 4 hp, needs 92cfm at 90psi.
Think I'll keep what I have, compressor would probably cost more than my next car.
Ernie