PDA

View Full Version : Strange DC ?

Reed Wells
09-11-2007, 5:37 PM
Here's a good one guys. I have two DCs with one 5" main port in each. Can they be hooked in tandum? Maybe a double 5" Y with an eight inch inlet. I know it,s a goofy question, but I would like to be able to use two or three machines at a time. Any one with an opinion? Thanks, Reed

Rob Russell
09-11-2007, 8:35 PM
Sure - hook them up in parallel as you sort of already posted.

Brian Weick
09-11-2007, 8:41 PM
The larger you make that feed line the less draw you will get-that's for sure-Here is some information that may be of valu. http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Combining_Dust_Collectors.html
hope this helps
Brian

Jim Nardi
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Sucking air is way more complicated than hooking 2 in tandem and getting double the volume of air moved. If you posted a small stick drawing of your layout with machine size it would help get a very good plan. Perhaps splitting your system up would be the most efficent way without seeing it.

Tom Maple
09-11-2007, 10:35 PM
You would need a 7" diameter pipe to equal two 5" pipes. 8" would drop the velocity too much. This is approximate, since friction loss is different for two 5's compared to one 8". Other than that you could feed the two 5" DC's with a 7" pipe.

glenn bradley
09-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I sure wouldn't hesitate to use them together; one as a below the TS the other as the over arm and so forth. I had asked a similar question awhile back and indeed the math, etc. required to keep the machines from fighting each other and actually working poorer than when alone was enough to steer me off the idea.

It seems like it should be a no-brainer but, alas. I remember Car and Driver or some mag like that had taken a Honda CRX and put two motors into it to make a 4x4 dirt racer. It worked great but the synchronization of motors, etc. wasn't a piece of cake.