PDA

View Full Version : What I've been up to (knotty pine kitchen cabinets) ...........

David Duke
09-11-2007, 5:33 PM
Here are some pictures of what I've been working on the past couple of months. These are made of knotty white pine, the customer is going to finish them but they've been living in the house for a month now and they're still unfinished. I hope he gets to it before they get all stained up. I also built and installed the master and guest baths and the utility room cabinets all the same style plus built in shelving units in all closets including a monster size master closet (wish I had gotten pics of that because it was pretty extensive).

David Duke
09-11-2007, 5:35 PM
Few more pics

Tyler Howell
09-11-2007, 5:56 PM
That's a beauti Dave:cool:

Zahid Naqvi
09-11-2007, 7:01 PM
That's some neat work Dave

Jim Becker
09-11-2007, 7:28 PM
Everything turned out beautifully, Dave!!!

Steve Beadle
09-11-2007, 7:37 PM
I love knotty pine, and you've done a beautiful job, David. I am getting started on re-doing the doors and drawer fronts on our kitchen cabinets, and am also using pine. I was intending to do raised panels on the doors, with an arch at the top, but now that I have seen your doors with the flat panels (at least they look flat to me in the pictures), I am reconsidering. How thick are the rails and stiles on your doors, and how thick is the panel? And are the panels set in grooves, or rabbeted into the back side?

Thanks for showing us this beautiful kitchen! And, yes, it would have been nice to see the closet work as well.

Steve

Roger Ronas
09-11-2007, 9:13 PM
Gosh Darn that's a beautiful kitchen.

next summer I am doing ours and we've chosen KP as well. Found some fire burn that has streaks of yellow, blue and other colors thru out the wood.
What are the interior of the cabs like? I would assume that the glass door ones are KP but are the others as well, or are they something else?
I like the castling of the corner upper, we planned on doing that as well.
We are thinking of raised panel doors but with a beading of some type.

Beautiful!!!

Roger

James Reichman
09-11-2007, 9:33 PM
Very nice work. I like the country look of KP. The pantry is real nice.

David Duke
09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys, this was a pretty big job for me, overall I built about 52' of cabinets for this house, I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but the pantry is HUGE...........it stands 96" and comes out 54" from each corner, it has 8 pull out shelves on the bottom section with fixes shelves on each side of the door and in the center, thank goodness for CAD programs, it would of taken forever to figure all the angles without it.

Steve- the rails/stiles are 3/4" thick x 2 1/4" with the top rail at 4" for the arch. The panels are flat and are milled with a V groove panel making bit and 1/2" thick and back cut to fit in a standard 1/4" rail/stile bit groove.

Roger- the case work is 3/4" birch ply except on areas that are exposed there I used knotty pine ply

Jason Tuinstra
09-12-2007, 1:33 AM
Great looking kitchen. Lots and lots of space. Nothing like that. Any ideas on how they're going to finish it?

Richard M. Wolfe
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Very nice work, David. Like the design and layout. Not your part, but they should have finished the work before the cabs were loaded and they've lived out of them for a month now. Every day that goes by makes the finishing more iffy even if something doesn't get spilled on them.

Ralph Okonieski
09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I just completed my first kitchen cabinet. While I'm happy with mine for its intended use, yours are much nicer (much, much nicer). Beautiful work!

Ed Falis
09-12-2007, 1:42 PM
Aside from the obvious build quality, I really like your design work on this one.

Pat Germain
09-12-2007, 1:57 PM
David, did you make the appliance garage door yourself, or was that a pre-fab unit?

Great work!

David Duke
09-12-2007, 2:15 PM
I made the tambor for the appliance garage myself, in the past I have just bought the complete unit (spring, rod and rails) but I couldn't find a source for knotty pine tambor so I had to make my own......pretty simple really.

On the finishing I tried to talk them into letting me finish them before install but he wanted to save a little money and do it himself..........I think he's regretting that now because they have a newborn and are going to have to find alternate living arrangements because of the fumes. They have finished the master bath putting a medium brown stain with a couple of coats of poly, I personally think that they went too dark but my preference on knotty pine is just to use a sanding sealer followed by several coats of lacquer.