PDA

View Full Version : Anything better then Dremel?

Gary Keedwell
09-11-2007, 5:29 PM
LOML has a Dremel that she is not very happy with. Looking for a rotary tool that doesn't vibrate as much. Has anybody used a Proxxon IB/5? Has some pretty good specs. Any other good brands out there?:) .
Gary K.

Doug Shepard
09-11-2007, 5:39 PM
The Foredom is another option. It's pricey but gets a lot of good owner comments. I haven't used either it or the Proxon though. If you're just using it like a router though you can get collet adapter to use the Dremel bits in a laminate trimmer.

Dave Novak
09-11-2007, 5:45 PM
The Foredom is another option. It's pricey but gets a lot of good owner comments. I haven't used either it or the Proxon though. If you're just using it like a router though you can get collet adapter to use the Dremel bits in a laminate trimmer.

My Father's a pretty accomplished woodcarver, and swears by his Foredom (and ridicules my Dremel) and this website for ordering both foredoms and everything else associated with woodcarving http://www.fandfwoodcarving.com/

Gary Keedwell
09-11-2007, 5:57 PM
My Father's a pretty accomplished woodcarver, and swears by his Foredom (and ridicules my Dremel) and this website for ordering both foredoms and everything else associated with woodcarving http://www.fandfwoodcarving.com/
Dave & Doug....The Foredom looks great but cannot justify the $$ for amount of usage it will get. Proxxon still looking good>:o
Gary K.

Doug Shepard
09-11-2007, 5:57 PM
My Father's a pretty accomplished woodcarver, and swears by his Foredom (and ridicules my Dremel)...

Heck, I ridicule my own Dremel:D It works, but durability is a question mark with me. The first one was returned for a new unit after self-destructing with about 4 hours (not continuous) use. I still also have an older Ryobi Dremel-type clone (no longer made) that works just fine (doesn't fit all the gizmos though) and gets most of the heavier duty use that I'm a bit afraid to subject the Dremel to.

Doug Shepard
09-11-2007, 6:02 PM
Dave & Doug....The Foredom looks great but cannot justify the $$ for amount of usage it will get. Proxxon still looking good>:o
Gary K.

I dunno. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to make a deal
Sure honey, you can get a new Foredom if I can get a new .....:D

Gary Keedwell
09-11-2007, 6:10 PM
I dunno. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to make a deal
Sure honey, you can get a new Foredom if I can get a new .....:D
Good one Doug. Hmmmm Re-tooling the old router center.......

Gary K.

Michael Schwartz
09-11-2007, 7:14 PM
Dremmles are great for hobby work. The biggest problem is the brushes don't last long.

I prefer a pencil sized die grinder. They draw about 1CFM and so you don't even need a large compressor. They usualy run up to 50,000 RPM and with the right burrs rated for that speed cut wood very smoothly and are great for carving. They use the same collets and can take the same accessories as a dremmle too, just run it at a lower speed.

Gary Keedwell
09-11-2007, 8:00 PM
:confused: I never thought of using air....but LOML will want good old electricity.
Gary K.:)

Paul Williams
09-11-2007, 9:12 PM
Gesswein makes some great grinders. Way out of the dremel price range, but will last you a lifetime. I have used one of their smallest and cheapest units a model UP 211 for over 10 years with zero problems.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-12-2007, 7:51 AM
Foredom is the choice for mold makers (I mean big commercial injection molds).

Paul Williams
09-12-2007, 10:06 AM
While I agree with those who have posted that Foredom makes a very good shaft drive rotory tool, I would not consider it for a dremmel replacement. I own a Foredom that I use for roughing out decoy carvings. It will drive a 1/4 inch shaft cutter, and also has a chuck handpiece for smaller cutters. However, when I am done with the rough cuts, I put it away and take out a rotory tool that has a small handpiece with collets and is connected to a variable speed power source by a flexible wire. Mine happens to be Gesswein, there are other manufactures. My point is the dremmel is a detail machine, and you are probably looking for something smaller and easier to handle than the Foredom flex shaft tool if the need is detail work.

Gary Keedwell
09-18-2007, 5:35 PM
Hey everyone. Just a little note to say that I sent away for a Proxxon Professional Grinder IB/E and it arrived today from Highland. Great service from Highland, by the way.
Haven't really used it yet but am already impressed. It came in a nice sturdy carrying case with a handle to carry it. It runs smooth and very quiet. A little bigger then Dremel but 3 times better. Tried a few bits with long shanks to check run-out and you can't see any with the naked eye. Concentricity is as advertised.;)

Think Im gonna like it alot!!!
Gary K.

Doug Shepard
09-18-2007, 6:18 PM
You know da roolz. No pic=it dint happen.:D

Ken Genovese
09-18-2007, 6:32 PM
I picked up a Proxxon FBS 115 last week at Rockler on closeout for $30.00. Works Good!