PDA

View Full Version : Hey Nancy

Brian Robison
09-11-2007, 3:41 PM
OK, I give up, what's the 101 days thing all about?

Nancy Laird
09-11-2007, 4:12 PM
Retirement!! Blessed, glorious retirement, at least from the day job. I'm gonna stay home, burn wood on the lasers, turn pens and other stuff on the lathe, build cabinets and furniture with LOML, run our business, and go to work in my jammies (or something comfortable). I can hardly wait!!!!! After 42 years of fighting traffic, keeping to set hours, punching a time clock (at times), eating on the run, running errands on my lunch hour, commuting as much as an hour in each direction, dealing with condescending bosses (present one excluded) and whiny clients, wearing heels and pantyhose (and a girdle in the 60s and early 70s), and cultivating extreme digestive problems and high blood pressure, I'm going to stay home, do my thing, and have fun. LOML is making the same move in March. We are also going to do some traveling that we've been wanting to do--so stand by, Creekers! We may be coming your way in 2008.

The celebration starts at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 21, and I'm not sure when it will stop. It's gonna be a nice Christmas gift to myself.

Nancy (101 days)

TYLER WOOD
09-11-2007, 4:50 PM
Congrats Nancy. I hope you will visit West Texas sometime. We have a few friendly folk down here who would make you feel welcome and loved!!!

Brian Robison
09-11-2007, 4:51 PM
God bless you! It sounds like you deserve a great retirement! Something tells me you'll be busier than ever but loving every minute of it.

Nancy Laird
09-11-2007, 5:20 PM
God bless you! It sounds like you deserve a great retirement! Something tells me you'll be busier than ever but loving every minute of it.

Yep, Brian, as it is now, I'm gone from home 10 hours a day to the day job, then going home and working 3-4-5 hours a night. I'm killing myself. I figure that when I retire and have more time to do marketing (to those who work the same hours I do now), I'll be able to keep myself busy at least four days a week.

Congrats Nancy. I hope you will visit West Texas sometime. We have a few friendly folk down here who would make you feel welcome and loved!!!

Tyler, I have some quasi-friends in Lubbock and, although I'm not anxious to go see them, I've never been over there and I'd like to visit the area, just for the heck of it (and to visit you). I've already told David that I want to take a trip to Amarillo and Palo Duro Canyon, so through Lubbock going or coming home is a real probability, as we like taking the "blue roads."

Nancy (101 days)

Stephen Beckham
09-11-2007, 9:52 PM
Nancy - I was wondering about the days and figured some braver-sole-than-I would ask... (Thanks Brian)

Anyway - it's a hoot. When I retired from the military they told the wife - it's "Twice the Husband for half the pay." I thought they said "PLAY" and haven't stopped yet...

If you're ever in the Louisville, KY area - give me a shout. I'll give you a tour of the bus - it might give you and idea of how to convert a RV for travelling and burning... You could then do road shows...

Bill Cunningham
09-11-2007, 10:36 PM
OK, I give up, what's the 101 days thing all about?

Well!!! That answers that for me too!!! I though maybe Nancy quit smoking or something..:D I got 4 years to go to retire.. wait a minute.. I work for myself now!!:eek: Gad Now I got 'nothing' to look forward to!! The one thing I keep telling the folks that say things like "it must be nice being 'semi' retired and having your own business, not having to tow someone elses line".. Well, sometimes it good, but the reglar paycheque was nice too.. When you work for your self, it's always 'feast or famine' and days off are 'only' periods of no income...

Nancy Laird
09-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Stephen, we have a motor home we are trying to sell. Thought that when we retired, we'd go traveling in it. No dice. Traveling in a motor home is too much like being home for me--cooking meals, washing dishes, cleaning toilets---well, you get the picture. Add in that LOML gets extremely tired wrestling 36 feet of bus down the road and collapses at night, and we decided to try to sell it and get out from under. We may end up pawning it off on our son--his wife loves it!!

Nancy (101 days)

Eddie Watkins
09-12-2007, 1:47 AM
Nancy,
I've been retired 39 days now and haven't missed work a minute. It is truly a glorious experience. I have yet to find time to watch Oprah once!:eek: 101 days sounds like the first of the year.

Eddie

Nancy Laird
09-12-2007, 8:35 AM
Nancy,
101 days sounds like the first of the year.

Eddie

December 21, 5:00 p.m.!!

Nancy (100 days)

Leigh Costello
09-13-2007, 1:07 AM
Nancy,
Double digits! Won't be long now! I had figured our your count and was using your countdown as a countdown to Christmas. I figure if I haven't finished by the 21st of Dec, I won't get whatever needs doing done.

ps Hubby wanted one of those little bitty houses on wheels till he learned that if I don't clean at home, what would possess me to clean on the road!

Belinda Barfield
09-13-2007, 7:40 AM
Nancy,
Double digits! Won't be long now! I had figured our your count and was using your countdown as a countdown to Christmas. I figure if I haven't finished by the 21st of Dec, I won't get whatever needs doing done.

ps Hubby wanted one of those little bitty houses on wheels till he learned that if I don't clean at home, what would possess me to clean on the road!

Leigh,

You are a woman after my own heart. Honey keeps pestering for the motorhome, especially after his brother bought one. I told him unless he was hiring a traveling maid the idea was a no go. My bad, then he picked out the traveling maid! That hussy ain't go nowhere with us!:eek: :D

Nancy Laird
09-13-2007, 9:22 AM
This is just to announce that I am now a double-digit midgit!!!

99 DAYS!!

Didn't think the day would come!!

Nancy (99 days)

Jim King
09-13-2007, 9:36 AM
I am officially retired due to age but then again have never really worked. I have always had a good time whatever and where ever I was and whatever I was doing so nothing much seems to have changed. Nothing much ever seemed like work.

I just get grouchier with each year.

Belinda Barfield
09-13-2007, 9:38 AM
GO NANCY! I'm there with you in spirit, just a few years behind.

Jeff Bower
09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Congrats Nancy, my parents have 1.5 years left and they recently bought one of these. http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/itasca/navion/

It's the perfect size for 2 adults and still has tons of storage.

Stephen Beckham
09-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Nancy - it's coming soon - don't let it sneek up on you....

http://www.ttgconsultants.com/early-retirement-planning/retirement_clock.jpg

Nancy Laird
09-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I read somewhere that when one is retired, the only way you know it's Sunday is the color comics--and that's a problem because in Albq., the paper prints color comics on Tuesday too!! :confused: Am I going to be confused, or what?

Nancy (99 days)

Nancy Laird
09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Congrats Nancy, my parents have 1.5 years left and they recently bought one of these. http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/itasca/navion/

It's the perfect size for 2 adults and still has tons of storage.

Jeff, I think if we could downsize to something like this, neither of us would complain. However, the big Greyhound-size bus has just gotten to be too much for us.

Stephen, there is NO WAY that this is going to sneak upon me---I'm keeping my eyes and ears open!:D

Nancy (99 days)

Stephen Beckham
09-13-2007, 8:36 PM
Nancy - bet you a wooden nickel - you'll hit some point and say oops - I didn't expect that this soon... :rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
09-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Maybe, Steve, just maybe. But I sort of doubt it. I've been counting down (informally) for 5 years!!!

But you are right, the older I get, the faster the days and weeks go. Where has 2007 gone??? It was just the other day that we had 26" of snow on New Year's?

Nancy (99 days)