PDA

View Full Version : Gold Fill

Gregg Vaughn
09-11-2007, 3:02 PM
I am looking for a "very shiny" gold fill for some wood plaques. I've tried the "Rub n Buff" and gold acrylic paint, but the look is not what I'm looking for. Has anyone found something that may be what I'm looking for? The fill is for lineart police badges.

Frank Corker
09-11-2007, 3:35 PM
Gregg you would be best calling in to a picture framer, they have to use all that type of stuff for the frames, I'm sure a little advice would not be out of their way for you

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2007, 4:03 PM
You could do gold leaf. I have not tried it on plaques but have on sandblasted wood signs. I use 1-Shop metallic gold paint, then when it's dried to the right tackiness apply the leaf. Might be tricky with tiny letters though. There's also gold leaf paint, like this:

www.misterart.com/store/browse/003/cat_id/51/Craft-Supplies-Gold-Leaf.htm

(They have leaf too)

Mike Null
09-11-2007, 5:40 PM
I use gold foil from Johnson Plastics for plaques. It looks great and is easy to use.

The "in Memoriam" is the foil.

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2007, 6:39 PM
I use gold foil from Johnson Plastics for plaques. It looks great and is easy to use.

The "in Memoriam" is the foil.
Mike,

The foil is on the surface, or did you engrave and manage to stick it to the engraved letters?

Nancy Laird
09-11-2007, 7:43 PM
I use Liquitex Professional Acrylic artist color, Hevy Body Iridescent Bright Gold. It's available at Hobby Lobby and Michaels, and works VERY well.

Nancy (101 days)

Mike Null
09-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Joe

You're right, the foil is on the surface and the outline of the letters is laser engraved. I usually black fill the outline to make it stand out better.

This is a good technique for plaques but would not be good for something that is handled a lot.

Gregg Vaughn
09-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks everyone ... This group continues to be a great resource of good people!