PDA

View Full Version : Radial Arm Saw- guard help!

Heather Deans
09-11-2007, 1:19 PM
Hi All- I just started a new job at a college theatre department and inherited a shop. At some point in the past, the guard was removed from the radial arm saw (Delta 33-890). I want to replace the guard, but the actual part is going to run almost $400!! with shipping,ect. Do you all know any place other than the manufacturer that might carry a part for this? Any suggestions? The saw has some other problems (not safety related) so I really don't want to spend that much money on it, but I don't have the funds to replace it this year either. Any help would be great!
Thanks-
Heather

Ted Miller
09-11-2007, 4:01 PM
Heather, Do you need the blade guard or the leaf guard. I have not used the leaf guard for 15 years and its your for free if you like...

Heather Deans
09-11-2007, 5:02 PM
Hi Ted- The leaf guard! If you're not using yours and want to send it my way I would be thrilled! I'm at a college and they frown on not using the guards. :) I'd be happy to reimburse you for shipping costs, ect. PM me and we can set up the details. What a fabulous group!
Heather

Harry Niemann
09-11-2007, 7:46 PM
What the heck is a leaf guard?

Jim Kountz
09-11-2007, 8:10 PM
Now this is why I love the internet and this forum. Fellow woodworkers helping out in ways that would never have been possible before. Ted, way to go my man, and Heather, happy (safer) radial arming!! LOL

Jim

Chris Rosenberger
09-11-2007, 8:54 PM
What the heck is a leaf guard?

http://www.leafguard.com/home.asp:D

Chris Rosenberger
09-11-2007, 9:07 PM
Leaf guard.

Rich Schneider
09-11-2007, 9:22 PM
parts for most saws and other equipment for Delta equipment can be purchased through Dewalt Service Net at www.dewaltservicenet.com (http://www.dewaltservicenet.com) I took a look on there to see if they had the leaf guards since I have the same saw and they are in stock and $25 each, so whoever told you $400 was a little but high priced. I'm not affiliated Dewalt Service Net in any manner, but have had to occasionally buy parts for some of my Delta machines and have had good luck so I thought I would pass the info along. The other cool thing about their site is they have all the exploded parts diagrams for the machines. So if you know the model number and are trying to figure out how something comes apart or what parts you need or are missing you can search for and find the diagrams..it is a great reference.

Ted Miller
09-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Heather, PM me you address and I will ship it off.

I work at a college as well and we just filled our brand new scene shop with 55K worth of tools.

My office is in a small carpenter shop here at work and if I need other equipment I go over to the scene shop since they have it all...

Ted Miller
09-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Heather, You have a PM...

Heather Deans
09-12-2007, 3:09 PM
Hi All- Thanks so much to Ted for the help. Maybe the specifics of my saw are slightly different, but I originally tried the Delta Service Net after I got off the phone with Porter Cable to double check. After triple checking with my local repair shop, I gave up. Its possible that there was a glitch in the system they discovered after my inquiry, but $25 was definitely not what any of my three attempts found. Maybe when I have a few spare minutes I'll check if they changed the cost! Anyway- thanks all for the help, its great to have someplace to go with this sort of question!
Heather

Ted Miller
09-12-2007, 4:43 PM
Heather, Here is where I go for all my replacement parts on most of my tools:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-33890-type-radial-arm-saw-parts-c-3275_4111_4138.html