PDA

View Full Version : Simple Band saw Tension Gauge

Dana Vogel
09-11-2007, 10:39 AM
:rolleyes:Fabbed this band saw tension gauge today after seeing a close up of some different designs that are based on commercial gauges. Actually I took their concept and took it in an entirely different direction but based loosely on those designs I just used different materials and a came up with another way to fasten the dial indicator but the basic function of my gauge is the same measuring blade travel in thousandths of an inch with a fulcrum/pivot type bar.

Dana Vogel
09-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry , looks as if my pictures did not post with this message. I quess I need to resize the pics before SawMill will accept.

Dana Vogel
09-11-2007, 1:26 PM
Go to this link to view full size pics of the Tension Gauge
http://picasaweb.google.com/vogeldp/BandSawTensionGauge

Sorry for the delay! But SawMill does not upload any pic over 105kb which is under what my camera produces.

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2007, 1:37 PM
What's the cost of construction? How about a pic or two of you showing it in action. Great looking gauge btw. :)

Dana Vogel
09-11-2007, 1:49 PM
Cost was nothing, I had scrap 1/2" Phenolic some extra knobs from a DeWalt router fence and the dial indicator I've had for awhile. Yes ,sure I can setup this gauge and post pics but actually it is very simple to do just mounts to any band saw blade that is in a relaxed or non tensioned state.

Tom Veatch
09-11-2007, 11:17 PM
...But SawMill does not upload any pic over 105kb which is under what my camera produces.

Dana, don't know what OS you're using, but there is a "Powertoy" free download from MicroSoft for XP and Vista that adds an "resize" option to the context menu when you right click on a graphics file in a folder's file list. If you're interested, DAGS "Powertoy Image Resizer".

Bob Feeser
09-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Microsoft Image Resizer directly from the Microsoft download site. It is for WIndows XP. All you have to do is click on the following link, and choose run or save, then open. After you install, you just right click on any picture on your hard drive, and choose resize picture. Then pick the size, small, medium, and large, then it saves the picture with the same file name, in the same folder, except it has the word small, medium, or large attached to it. Highly recommeneded. Here is the link. http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Dana Vogel
09-13-2007, 9:32 AM
Thanks for the Resizer it was a long overdue utility I need.