PDA

View Full Version : The Impractical Cabinetmaker

nick brigg
09-11-2007, 4:10 AM
Yes, the book by james krenov. in the "real veneer" section he talks about gluing veneer to "cross bonded solid core". is that just slabs of inexpensive solid wood, cut into strips, re-glued, veneered with an inexpensive veneer diagonal to the grain, then finally topped with bandsawn veneer?

Mike K Wenzloff
09-11-2007, 9:38 AM
Hi Nick,

Yes (partially), commonly called a cross-banded core. It is possible to still purchase cross-banded core plywood though it is difficult to source.

For the core, I prefer to begin with flatsawn boards of a wood which has little movement...Makore is my usual choice. The strips are sawn, rotated 90 degrees and reglued. I either use shop sawn veneer applied cross-grained or thin bending ply as the cross veneer. Then, again shop sawn, the thicker show veneer is applied the same direction as the core.

You need to consider how thick the cross-banded and show veneer layers are going to be, thickness the core following glue up to its appropriate thickness and so on.

It's an old concept, predating Krenov quite a bit.

Take care, Mike

Jim Becker
09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Mike, any chance you could post a picture of a construction as you described?

Mike K Wenzloff
09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Ha--thanks for the extra work, Jim!

I do have some core panels glued up for the next cabinet in-process. It's been languishing for two years. I have the "roll" of bending ply, no show veener. The original show veneer slabs ended up being made into saw handles:eek: . I was lovely wood and made great handles, though.

I'll snap a couple pictures if needed. Here's a drawing of how commercial lumber core is made and is the same for the present discussion...

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/veneer/cross-banded.jpg

Take care, Mike
back to worky...

Steve Schoene
09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Ah, that's what I always knew as lumber core plywood.

nick brigg
09-11-2007, 1:21 PM
oh so the cross bond is infact 90 degrees to the core? then the show veneer is in the same direction as the core!

also, since there will be end grain on 2 sides of the core, is a "splined on" solid edge able to hold on? like with a 1/4 ply spline. i know end grain just sucks up the glue like no tomorrow.

Mike K Wenzloff
09-11-2007, 2:05 PM
Hi Nick,

I use a glue size (watered down glue) to soak into the end grain (and allowed to dry), attach the edge grain veneers (all four), and then the face veneers to cover the edge veneers. That way I can lightly ease the edges all-round and not show the edge veneers.

Take care, Mike

nick brigg
09-11-2007, 5:44 PM
is glue size really enough to keep the edges from eventually de-laminating?

Mike K Wenzloff
09-12-2007, 1:19 AM
Hi Nick,

The glue size simpy allows the bonding agent for the veneer to not soak into the end grain as much. I usually use PRG or epoxy as my veneer glue.

With the size, you do not want to use so much the end grain is impervious to absorbing the veneer glue, just significantly slow it down. It makes for a very good bond. Cabinets have been made this way for a long time. Even with the glues used back then, it provided a good bond.

Take care, Mike