PDA

View Full Version : Colt Spindle Lock Problem

glenn bradley
09-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Has anyone else had trouble with the spindle lock on their Colt failing. I've had mine repaired once after only changing bits a few times. It has failed again after only changing bits twice. I am not over tightening. I'm from the 'just tight enough' school of thought on router collets. There is a provision for a 10mm wrench instead if I can find one thin enough to fit the slots on the shaft.

Bill Huber
09-11-2007, 12:20 AM
What fails?
I have had no problem with mine and I use it a lot..
It will stick at times but I can just pull it back out or one time I did have to use a small screw driver on it.

Mike Henderson
09-11-2007, 12:44 AM
If you do need to use a wrench, get one from a bicycle shop. They make very narrow wrenches for working on the hubs. And they're all in metric.

Mike

Jamie Buxton
09-11-2007, 1:04 AM
Yes, that's apparently a common problem. I see it mentioned a lot in various forums. Mine has completely failed, and a friend's has too. I don't think that undertightening the collect is a good approach. A better answer seems to be using two wrenches. The wrench for the motor shaft must be rather thin. I made one from a piece of 1/8"-thick flat stock. It took maybe ten minutes with a hacksaw and a file. I've heard that if you hassle Bosch, they'll send you a thin wrench -- but that will take weeks and a bunch of phone calls.

Dick Rowe
09-11-2007, 4:10 AM
I'm not sure if things have changed, but a while back I contacted Bosch via email, got a response the same day, and had the required wrench a few days later. I was impressed with the prompt service.

They did tell me that they were aware of the flaw and were working on a fix. Also said they would contact me when the fix was ready and tell me how to get free repairs.

That was a year ago, and I haven't heard anything from them, but the extra wrench works fine so I haven't followed up.

Doug Lindley
09-11-2007, 7:17 AM
I have also contacted Bosch from this website http://www.boschtools.com/product-services/contact-us/
I nicely told them that the Colt spindle lock was poorly designed and that I was disappointed in the tool, they responded that they were aware of the issue and would sent me a 10mm wrench which I received a few days later.

glenn bradley
09-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Bill, the last time it failed the actual shaft slot had rounded over and they replaced the shaft. Quite quickly too I might add, I was impressed. I have contacted Bosch and they are aware of the problem but the person I spoke to said they have no wrench to send(?). They do recommend a 10mm so I guess I will pick one up. I have no problem with the two wrench approach and actually prefer it on my other routers. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something without realizing it.

Mike Goetzke
09-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Glenn - try to call back again (different CS operator). I received the wrench w/o any problems.

Dick Rowe
09-11-2007, 3:06 PM
Glenn,

You might want to check before you purchase a standard 10mm wrench.

When I had the problem my 10mm wrenches were all too thick to work on the Colt. The wrench that Bosch sent was a lot thinner than a regular wrench.

Bill Huber
09-11-2007, 3:24 PM
Bill, the last time it failed the actual shaft slot had rounded over and they replaced the shaft. Quite quickly too I might add, I was impressed. I have contacted Bosch and they are aware of the problem but the person I spoke to said they have no wrench to send(?). They do recommend a 10mm so I guess I will pick one up. I have no problem with the two wrench approach and actually prefer it on my other routers. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something without realizing it.

Thanks for the info....

I wonder if they fixed the problem, well I hope they have fixed it and I don't have the problem down the road aways.

Martin Shupe
09-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Hmm, I have one of these, but have not used it very much. Looks like I'd better order a wrench before mine breaks as well.

Jerry Allen
09-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Just take a 10mm open end and grind the head until it fits...

Alex Berkovsky
09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
...When I had the problem my 10mm wrenches were all too thick to work on the Colt.If you're buying a wrench from a bike store, tell them you need a 10mm cone or brakeset wrench.

You can get one online (http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=17238&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show%20All%20Products) if you wish.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-12-2007, 5:00 PM
Every time I see this post all I can think of is the CG 7.62 MM Chain Gun. And it hasn't even got a spindle.
Well, it does just not in that way.

ryan smythe
09-12-2007, 9:35 PM
i have the same problem as you, i have a skinny wrench so i just use that.