PDA

View Full Version : 3 General Questions

Trent Flemming
09-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi All,

1. Will Oak Plywood work for a top surface rather joining solid oak? The project is a medium size desk for a childs room.

2. My Dewalt 618 Plunge router sticks when fully plunged. I have cleaned it, slicone sprayed cleaned it again, etc. This unit has only been utilzed a hand full of times. Any thoughts?

3. Any ideas of how to improve dust collection on the Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw? I have adapted a large plastic plant pot to the back of the saw over the slides and placed a 4" duct in the bottom of the pot, but it just doesn't get the job done.

Thanks

Trent

glenn bradley
09-10-2007, 11:49 PM
1. Ply should be fine for a desk top but will not be as tough as solid material for a child. Watch your quality; the cheap stuff has terribly thin veneer.

2. I'd contact DeWalt on that one. If the unit is under warranty I would let them deal with it. If not, perhaps someone here with that model will chime in.

3. CMS are notorious for poor dust control. I use a high powered shop vac connected where the bag would normally go. This has been my best solution as my CMS is not stationary. Other folks have built large hoods and below the saw deck collection points on their stationary CMS with good results. It will depend on your use of the saw. Anything you find that does a decent job of DC on a CMS would be welcomed by anyone here.

Cary Swoveland
09-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Hi All,
...3. Any ideas of how to improve dust collection on the Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw? I have adapted a large plastic plant pot to the back of the saw over the slides and placed a 4" duct in the bottom of the pot, but it just doesn't get the job done.

Thanks

Trent

Trent,

This is my solution for my 12-inch Dewalt non-slider:

This works extremely well for 90-degree and 45-degree (counterclockwise) mitres. I get virtually all the dust produced, and don't even have to have all my other blast gates closed. For other mitres, and bevels, I must remove the dust collection box, which takes about 30-seconds. With the box off, I have no dust collection at all, but I don't have to remove it very often.

Dust collection for a sliding mitre saw is of course more challenging, but perhaps this approach could be adapted.

Cary

James Phillips
09-11-2007, 9:05 AM
Hi All,

1. Will Oak Plywood work for a top surface rather joining solid oak? The project is a medium size desk for a childs room.

Thanks

Trent

I like ply better for desk tops. It is flat, requires no glue up and will not split. Put a nice thick finish and it will be plenty durable.

Bill Arnold
09-11-2007, 9:44 AM
... 3. Any ideas of how to improve dust collection on the Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter saw? I have adapted a large plastic plant pot to the back of the saw over the slides and placed a 4" duct in the bottom of the pot, but it just doesn't get the job done. ...Trent,

Here's the solution I used for my stationary miter saw. In use, you can see the cloud of dust being generated and drawn back into the chamber.

Kent Fitzgerald
09-11-2007, 9:48 AM
Ply will work, but it limits your options for eventually resurfacing the desktop.

As a general suggestion, if you're using red oak (solid or ply) you'll probably want to fill the open grain to provide a smooth writing surface (or use a desk pad).

Trent Flemming
09-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the great replies.

Hey Cary do you think you could post a couple of more pictures of you dust collector? It looks like you have some type of box inside the box. Could you elaborate.

Thanks again.

Trent

Cary Swoveland
09-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks for all the great replies.

Hey Cary do you think you could post a couple of more pictures of you dust collector? It looks like you have some type of box inside the box. Could you elaborate.

Thanks again.

Trent

Sure. Here's the right side of the saw at the completion of a 90-degree cut:
This is the left side of the saw at the completion of a 45 degree mitre:
Here I am removing the two machine screws that hold the dust collection box in place:
I'm doing this because my next cut is neither a 90 nor 45 degree mitre, or involves a bevel. Here's what the box looks like after it's removed:
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cary

Dave Hale
09-12-2007, 8:29 AM
Cary,

Like Trent was saying.....

Go back to the 1st picture you posted and tell me what the 'brownish' box is inside of the larger, lighter box. Or am I just seeing things?

Cary Swoveland
09-12-2007, 1:15 PM
Cary,

Like Trent was saying.....

Go back to the 1st picture you posted and tell me what the 'brownish' box is inside of the larger, lighter box. Or am I just seeing things?
What you are seeing is the back of the box, which is segmented, to facilitate air flow. I replaced the last picture above to clarify that.

Cary

Trent Flemming
09-12-2007, 1:57 PM
Cary,

Thank you for the pictures. I'm going to work on imitating your design this weekend.

Trent

Justin Bukoski
09-12-2007, 2:30 PM
Trent,

If you are worried about durability you can use an epoxy finish on the top that will outlast the top. This is the finish that many bars use for the bartop.

Cary Swoveland
09-12-2007, 2:32 PM
Cary,

Thank you for the pictures. I'm going to work on imitating your design this weekend.

Trent
I'd be interested in hearing how it works out. It took me awhile to get all the dimensions right, and had to remove a small part from the saw to make it fit. I elected to merely slide the flex hose into the dust collection pipe to make it easier to R&R the box: I first disconnect the flex hose, then remove the box.

Cary

Paul Hendrickson
09-12-2007, 3:04 PM
Bill and Cary, you have both given me some great ideas to think about. Thanks.