PDA

View Full Version : T-Track Router Bit

Jim Kountz
01-30-2004, 8:33 PM
Anyone here ever used the router bits that cut t-slots? I was looking at the regular aluminum t-track and came across the bit to make it instead and wondered how it worked out. First glance it seemed to me that one could just buy the bit and then make all the tracks you need. However after some thought I was wondering about things like it weakening your tables and fences. Also I wonder if it (the routed track) breaks easily when you tighten bolts down? Anyone?

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Becker
01-30-2004, 8:39 PM
Jim, I have the cutter and have used it a few times. The slots on my DP auxiliary table haven't broken out in over five years, although I left a "generous" shoulder thickness. Do remember you need to cut a straight slot first before routing the "tee". You can use the router with the same guide or cut a dado on the table saw.

I think that the metal tracks are stronger overall, but if you plan things out, the bit will be a good investment and save you a lot of money. Do use good baltic birch plywood, however. Softer materials, such as MDF will probably not hold up.

Kent Cori
01-31-2004, 8:34 PM
Jim,

I used the Amana tee slot bit (purchased from Rockler) to make tee slots in MDF fences for my router table, table saw sacrificial fence and even to build a shop made Wolverine jig. It works great although as Jim says you need to cut a vertical slot first.

You can make all the MDF tracks you want for next to nothing. You can also use hardwood if desired.

BTW, I have no affilitation with either firm.

John Miliunas
01-31-2004, 9:15 PM
Jim,

Just used one a couple weeks ago in making my router fence. Works just fine, though like Jim indicates, I also left plenty of meat on it. :cool:

Mark Singer
01-31-2004, 9:18 PM
I have also used the T slot and toilet bolts...I made a miter saw fence with stop block using it

James Carmichael
01-31-2004, 9:45 PM
I have also used the T slot and toilet bolts...I made a miter saw fence with stop block using it

LOL Mark, glad to know I'm not the only one who thought of using toilent flange bolts.

Jim Kountz
02-01-2004, 2:41 AM
Well this all sounds good to me. I think I'll pick one up and give it a try. The aluminum t-track isnt really all that expensive but it would have to be more convienent to just make one when ever you need it. Thanks for the tips guys.

Jim