PDA

View Full Version : Threading dowels

Marc Gélinas
09-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi guys,
I've looked around at the different alternatives for making my own wooden screws (for a couple of vises) such as thread boxes and the Beal system and all of them do seem fine. However since big never seems to be big ENOUGH! I, of course, would like 2" threaded dowels. So; I'm left with a few alternatives: 1- buy one realllllyyyy expensive threading kit I saw (several hundred) or 2- buy a small thread box, take it apart, see how it's made and make my own. Any suggestions (PLEASE!!!)
PS. Can dowels be threaded on a lathe? (and let me know if that's a question I should already know the answer to!)

Marc Gélinas
09-10-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.fine-tools.com/gewind.htm

harry strasil
09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
yes on a metal turning lathe, with compound set at 29 degrees like metal so it cuts on one side and just scrapes the other side. prevents tearout of the grain.

its best to oil with linseed oil first like using the screwboxes and taps.

harry strasil
09-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I have been thinking of ordering the Beal set up and then making a bigger sleeve to cut larger threads for my work bench.

Eric Hartunian
09-11-2007, 1:06 AM
I wanted a large, wood screw for my leg vise on my psuedo Shaker bench. I looked everywhere, and couldn't find anything big enough. I tried to make one on my own, using hard maple. The male screw portion is not an impossible task if you have a lathe, a sharp saw, v gouge and a bit of patience. Basically, you turn a cylinder to whatever major thread dia you want. You decide on your TPI, and using a piece of paper, draw parallel lines at that spec. Then, wrap the paper around the cylinder and offset the lines by one, which turns the straight lines into "threads". Do all this with the piece still chucked in the lathe. Now, using your xcut saw, cut a uniform depth kerf all around the cylinder, following the lines, turning the piece by hand. When you make it all the way around, the whole length, you deepen your saw kerfs with the v gouge.

Now, that was much harder to explain than it was to do. I did it, and had acceptable results the first time.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to make the female portion!
Good luck,

Eric

Jim Nardi
09-11-2007, 4:46 PM
Roy has a video on how to make it all. I wouldn't use dowell.

josh bjork
09-11-2007, 5:21 PM
Why not use really tough wood? A bigger screw wouldn't be my first option.

Marc Gélinas
09-11-2007, 8:47 PM
Thank you for the suggestions,
While we're at it I've got beech, ash, access to a 3" X 10" X 12' board of cherry, hard and soft maple as well as other woods not suitable for threads. What are your suggestions?

Tim Sproul
09-12-2007, 7:50 PM
For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to make the female portion!

You need a threadchaser.

toolsforworkingwood.com sells some Ray Iles threadchasers and has some general information on them that should help you make your own threadchaser to suit the size and threading you want.

Glenn Madsen
09-12-2007, 9:10 PM
Beech or maple would work best, I'd think. You're looking for hard, straight grain... Soft maple is generally hard enough.

josh bjork
09-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Ipe is about the toughest all around but easy to get wood, if you're somehow worried about it being tough. Even woods like hickory and elm have fibers that stick together with tenacity which would keep the threads from shearing off. Make the nuts longer so more threads make contact too. 1 1/2" is pretty good sized.

Dan Klauder
09-14-2007, 1:01 PM
FWIW - Roy's video is from his 24th season:

2406. Wooden Thread Cutter
Make your own giant wooden vise screws and nuts with this ingenious hand cranked device.

If I recall correctly, it was very interesting/informative (no surprise there...). Unfortunatley, it does not seem to available for viewing online...

- Dan

Marc Gélinas
09-14-2007, 8:38 PM
Thanks all for the great suggestions, I might give thread chasing a try, or I'll settle for 1-1/2" or buy a small thread box and copy it(undecided voter!). (By the way I have a couple of the Roubo books in which a thread box is described, but the engravings aren't that clear.)
Oh! and if anyone reads this is it true that soaking the wood in mineral oil for 24 hours helps with the thread cutting?

Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Thom Karlmann
09-24-2007, 2:37 AM
Dan: Thank you so much for identifying that episode on threading from the Woodwright's Shop! Now for the next step: can you help me in getting that episode #2406?

How do I proceed? I REALLY want the tape of that show. Please assist.
Please email me.

Thom

Wayne Morley
09-26-2007, 12:11 AM
The Workbench Book by: Scott Landis has a section that describes how wooden threads can be made using only hand tools.

Marc Gélinas
09-26-2007, 7:52 PM
As luck would have it I have both the toolbox book and the workshop book but am obviously in need of the workbench book. I guess I'll just have to make space in the bookshelves!

James Davis
09-27-2007, 9:55 AM
I called UNC-TV and asked about that video. It is not available at this time but there are many of his shows on DVD that can be purchased from them. Just give them a call and ask.

James Davis