PDA

View Full Version : sealing logs

Wally Wenzel
09-10-2007, 5:53 PM
I was given 6 logs ofbox elder each about 4-5 feet and a foot in dia. a couple a little smaller. My question is since i don't have access to ancor seal in this part of the world i bought parafin wax melted it and brushed on several coats will this do the job? Ileft most in log form and cut some in blanks, rough turned 2 and have them in DNA. Yhe only down is there isn't much color but it is the best kind,FREE. Thanks :confused:
Wally

Jim Becker
09-10-2007, 7:35 PM
Very hot, melted paraffin is a perfectly good end-grain sealer. The lumber guy I used to buy from (he unfortunately died recently...) used that method for about 47 years in the business. Anchorseal is obviously easier...it's a wax emulsion that goes on at "room temp" (there is a version for below freezing weather, too) with a brush. Anchorseal can be ordered direct from UC Coatings and if you don't want/need 5 gallons, go in with several turners and divvy it up.

George Guadiane
09-10-2007, 8:33 PM
I was given 6 logs ofbox elder each about 4-5 feet and a foot in dia. a couple a little smaller. My question is since i don't have access to ancor seal in this part of the world i bought parafin wax melted it and brushed on several coats will this do the job? Ileft most in log form and cut some in blanks, rough turned 2 and have them in DNA. Yhe only down is there isn't much color but it is the best kind,FREE. Thanks :confused:
Wally
If you can get an old iron or something else like that (which you can ruin) brush the wax on then iron it in. You can add more wax later, but my experience shows that the wax works best when it is "in" the end grain a little.

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2007, 8:52 PM
Yup....if you don't have any Anchorseal around, then you can easily melt some parafin wax to seal the logs up. Works real good and its inexpensive enough and locally available.

Wally Wenzel
09-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Thank you Guys, glad to hear it will be OK. Ihave to much to try and rough out all at once so that should preserve it for some winter time turning.
Wally:)

Dick Strauss
09-11-2007, 3:54 PM
Wally,
Wax woprks better but old latex paint works in a pinch. You probably want to thin it slightly.