PDA

View Full Version : Finally, after a long hiatus

Ron Coleman
09-10-2007, 5:27 PM
The latest piece. Turned alabaster with ebony and kingwood accents.

About 5" diameter and 6 1/2" high. The finished wall thickness is about 7/32".

Ron

Mike Vickery
09-10-2007, 5:39 PM
Beautiful piece Ron I really like it. I saw a demonstration on turning alabaster last year and thought it was very interesting.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-10-2007, 5:40 PM
Beautiful work Ron, I have been experimenting with turning some crystallized agate and am very interested in this work of yours. I suppose I should start with alabaster or soapstone. This is wonderful with the wood accents.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2007, 5:56 PM
Ron.....Exquisite! Stunning! Very well done sir!

Doug M Jones
09-10-2007, 6:25 PM
Ron,
Very impressive work. Where do you get alabaster? Any special technique involved?

It's a very stunning piece.

Doug

Ron Coleman
09-10-2007, 6:57 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the comments. I was really happy with this piece. It started life back in February as a demo piece at our monthly club meeting and then it just sat till I got back to it.

Getting back to turning after being away for so long wasn't that bed. It just took some time to find all the little special gadgets I have for doing things.

Ron

Robert McGowen
09-10-2007, 7:05 PM
That is certainly one of those "Wow" pieces that people like so much. Very nice job.

Ron Coleman
09-10-2007, 7:08 PM
Ron,
Very impressive work. Where do you get alabaster? Any special technique involved?

It's a very stunning piece.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

Alabaster isn't difficult to turn, just slow and dusty and it really dulls tools. I use carbide tipped tools for the bulk of turning just to save time sharpening every few minutes.

I buy the alabaster from Colorado Alabaster Supply. Just call 'em up and they'll send you a box of rocks. :p

http://coloradoalabaster.com/

For some real insight into turning alabaster visit Max Krimmel's web page for a blow by blow description of the entire process. He has the most fantastic tutorial that gives all the details.

http://www.maxkrimmel.com/

I use most of the same methods except I haven't got into soaking the rough turned piece in the glue bath. So far I haven't had any pieces fail on the lathe.

One special note, if you like drywall dust, you'll love turning alabaster. :D

Best to have a good dust collector.

Ron

Ron Coleman
09-10-2007, 7:19 PM
Beautiful work Ron, I have been experimenting with turning some crystallized agate and am very interested in this work of yours. I suppose I should start with alabaster or soapstone. This is wonderful with the wood accents.:)

Thanks Chris.

I'm trying to figure how you go about turning agate. Isn't it really hard?

Alabaster is just a step above talc (soapstone) in hardness so it doesn't scratch as easily. Talc is a good starter stone and is easy on the tools. It does make slippery dust on the floor though.

Ron

TYLER WOOD
09-10-2007, 7:27 PM
Certainly one of the nicest looking pieces of turned alabaster I have seen. I will be contacting you for some information. Thanks for sharing a gorgeous piece!

Jim Becker
09-10-2007, 7:31 PM
Ron, that's outstanding!

Pete Jordan
09-10-2007, 7:52 PM
Ron,

That is a wonderful piece and a great motivation!

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2007, 7:52 PM
Ron the piece is a beauty. Very well done.

Mike A. Smith
09-10-2007, 9:28 PM
Wow! Really beautiful Ron.

Neal Addy
09-10-2007, 9:51 PM
Exquisite work, Ron. I love the color contrasts. Very elegant finial, too.

What type of glue do you use for adhering wood to stone? Any unique challenges in mixing both mediums?

Kevin McPeek
09-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Very nice piece. Great combination of materials.

Max Krimmel was the person who demonstrated at our club last year and it was pretty neat stuff. I chalked it into the "someday" column.

Ron Coleman
09-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Exquisite work, Ron. I love the color contrasts. Very elegant finial, too.

What type of glue do you use for adhering wood to stone? Any unique challenges in mixing both mediums?

Thanks Neal

For bonding wood and stone I've been using Weldbond PVA glue. Seems to work well.

http://franktross.com/weldbond.asp

As for mixing wood and stone I think the secret is segmented construction when adding rims and foot pads. I've only had one failure and it was a very small bowl and I used a solid piece of wood for the rim. With segmented construction there is very little cross grain movement to deal with. Plus I think the Weldbond glue never really dries rock hard which allows a little movement. I also think the very dense tropical hardwoods work the best.

Ron

Ernie Nyvall
09-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow Ron, that's a beautiful piece. A fine combination and I really like that finial.

I'd also be interested in hearing about Chris turning agate. Okay... where'd you get the diamond tipped turning tools?:D

Jon Lanier
09-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Ron,

That is just beautiful. I don't have a lathe yet, but that's the kind of stuff I'd like to learn. If anything to be able to give those out to my kid's teachers for Christmas and end-of-the-year thank U's.

Very Kewl!

Wayne Bitting
09-12-2007, 7:38 AM
Ron - thanks for the push to get me to finally look for suppliers in my area. I wanted to try talc but didn't know where to find it. I spent most of my time at work yesterday (it was a very slow day...) researching suppliers and techniques. Must say I was quite inspired by your piece. Can't wait to give it a try. Nicely done!

Ron Coleman
09-12-2007, 8:28 AM
Ron - thanks for the push to get me to finally look for suppliers in my area. I wanted to try talc but didn't know where to find it. I spent most of my time at work yesterday (it was a very slow day...) researching suppliers and techniques. Must say I was quite inspired by your piece. Can't wait to give it a try. Nicely done!

Thanks Wayne.

I've even seen talc and alabaster (for a price) at Dick Blick Art Supplies.

Post some pictures when you get some pieces finished.

Ron