PDA

View Full Version : Stand for Jet mini

Dustin Cranford
09-10-2007, 4:35 PM
Quick question on the Jet mini vs. Is the stand worth the extra cost or should I just find a cheaper alternative and invest the money in other things? Stand is roughly 125.00. I don't have a bench but, could probably build one if needed.

Dustin

Robert McGowen
09-10-2007, 4:40 PM
I have a Jet mini and the Jet stand. I think that it is worth the money. You can also get an extension for the stand that fits the bed extension if you ever get one. I have had the mini on a bench and with the small bed height, shavings tend to pile up under and around the lathe and are a pain. With the open stand design, they just drop to the floor.

And $125? Amazon, $107.11 with free shipping right this second.

Alex Cam
09-10-2007, 5:04 PM
I think you'll find one of our very own, Mr. Ken Fitzgerald, used 2x12's strung across a "Little Giant" ladder system for 18 months or so. I would probably attribute that situation more to an addictive personality and an inability to focus on ANYTHING other than wood turning, though (it takes one to know one).:D

By my calculation, a $107.11 lathe stand would be a bit cheaper than a $399 ladder and a couple of 2x12's.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2007, 5:20 PM
I think you'll find one of our very own, Mr. Ken Fitzgerald, used 2x12's strung across a "Little Giant" ladder system for 18 months or so. I would probably attribute that situation more to an addictive personality and an inability to focus on ANYTHING other than wood turning, though (it takes one to know one).:D

By my calculation, a $107.11 lathe stand would be a bit cheaper than a $399 ladder and a couple of 2x12's.:D

Yeah it probably is cheaper and you don't find yourself being a contortionist when you are trying to turn the bottom of something that's in the chuck! BTW ....it was 1 2x12 between 2 halves of the Little Giant Ladder system and I had a choice stand or new tool......stand or new tool.....This kept repeating itself for 18 months.....I already had the ladder and the 2x12:D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2007, 5:23 PM
Seriously Dustin, I think the stand would be a good idea. It provides a good stable base and you can step around the end of the lathe have a little better access! My plan was and is to finish my shop. I'm taking delivery on a PM3520B next week. Then I will build a bench and mount my Jet VS Mini on it. I will continue to use the Mini for some small things and to use my Beal buffing system.

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2007, 7:57 PM
Dustin I built my stand for my Rikon Midi. I used some 2 X 4's and 3/4" plywood. Put 160 lbs of sand on the lower shelf and it doesn't move. I think my total like $23. Plywood was what I had lying around.

Mike Peace
09-10-2007, 11:37 PM
I like my Jet stand. I have the bed extension and the stand extension. Solid and doesn't collect the shavings like a flat surface as was previously mentioned.

Patrick Taylor
09-11-2007, 3:12 PM
I like my jet stand too. It provides good access.

Scott Brihn
09-11-2007, 4:14 PM
I use the Jet mini w/ extension on the Jet stand. For me the stand was worth the extra cost. I needed the ability to set the Jet mini at the appropriate height (for me).

When I bought the lathe it sat under my bench for 6+ months before I used it. Now with it on the stand I tend to use it more because I don't have to drag it out each time.