PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see a CNC and a Laser section not combined like it is now?

Ed Lang
09-10-2007, 3:34 PM
Would you like to see a CNC and a Laser section not combined such as it is now?

If so, let your opinion be known.

What machines are you running?

Kenneth Hertzog
09-10-2007, 3:43 PM
I see very little cnc information going on here and I see a lot of laser info going on here. :confused: ( carve write being the exception ) :o I have both cnc and a laser so either way I would look at this site
ken

Frank Corker
09-10-2007, 5:52 PM
I prefer it as it is. Seperate.

Nancy Laird
09-10-2007, 5:55 PM
I prefer it as it is. Seperate.
But Frank, it's now combined. Ed is wanting to separate the two.

I think that if there were two different forums, we'd see a lot more action from the CNC folks. The two processes are NOT even near to similar and I don't understand why they were combined in the first place (I wasn't here, so...)

Just MHO - worth all of .0198.

Nancy (102 days)

Michael Kowalczyk
09-10-2007, 5:57 PM
I don't see the need for two separate ones right now. Like Kenneth said there is very little CNC activity on here and most of few that have both CNC and Laser are already here. I think most of the CNC specific questions probably go to the machine or software specific forums anyway. If it is a cross platform question like tooling, jigs, ideas etc... then they might end up here. Ed I think it would be safe to say that if you had a Shopbot question that you would ask it on the shopbot forum and then if you got no satisfactory response you might post it here or maybe simultaneously post them but either way I think we will all go the CNC machine or software's forum. I see most people, in my humble opinion, that use generic forums for machine or software specific questions are 1 of 3+ types:
1: They bought the software and or CNC machine legally and tech support or warranty period ended and just do not want to pay for support.
2: They have bootlegged/pirated software and can not get support legally
3a: bought machine at auction or used and don't want to pay for support
3b: Still have warranty or active support but like to hear different ways to solve the same issue, if there is one or help others if possible.

Now of course the above by no means is a limiting factor and does not cover all the possibilities. It just cracks me up when I am on wood forum (that is like a spiders home) and some one asks an autocad, cabinet vision, or other software that charge $1,000.00"s a year in maintenance fees, specific question(s) and are disappointed when they do not get an immediate response.

When I look through the list it looks like over 90+-% of them are laser only very few CNC only and a small % of us that have both. My personal opinion is leave it as "status quo".

Keith Outten
09-10-2007, 6:08 PM
We have a growing number of Members who own CNC machines, just how many I'm not sure at this point. We can split the laser engraving and CNC forums if there are enough people who would prefer to have a dedicated CNC forum.

Personally I would like to see our CNC posts grow and expand. It would also be nice to see more file sharing here for CNC machines no matter what manufacturer. Visiting the manufacturer specific forums is certainly an option but not all of them have an active and thriving communities. The advantage we would have is that all machines would be welcome and there is something to be said for cross talk between different groups.

Nancy, when I started this forum is was called Laser Woodworking. When the Carvewright machines started showing up we renamed this forum Laser Engravers and CNC Tools so that anyone looking for a place to share information about CNC could join in.

Originally we didn't have a Turners Forum, all the wood turning posts were part of the GWW Forum until the volume of turning posts got so large it warranted its own Forum. This is what I hope will happen with the CNC portion of the Laser Engraving and CNC Tools Forum in time.

Nancy Laird
09-10-2007, 6:11 PM
Personally I would like to see our CNC posts grow and expand. It would also be nice to see more file sharing here for CNC machines no matter what manufacturer. .

And in my opinion, Keith, the best way to do that is to separate the processes and give CNC its own forum.

Nancy (102 days)

Michael Kowalczyk
09-10-2007, 6:12 PM
Boy Nancy and Frank,
You both typed faster than I was thinking and typing and running the shop and taking calls and ...:)

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2007, 6:25 PM
It seems to me that a CNC only person wouldn't like to wade through all of the laser posts. Maybe the separation now would increase the number of CNC posts as those owners would look more frequently at the new section.

Mark Winlund
09-10-2007, 6:42 PM
I think they should be separated. When I think of this group, I think "laser only" because so few CNC issues are addressed. I have both, and would like to participate in more CNC discussions. I believe CNC 3D is the wave of the immediate future. These things go in waves... first it was pantographs, then CNC engravers, then vinyl cutters, then color sublimation, then laser machines. One has to stay on the "bleeding edge", so to speak. Everyone now has a cnc engraver, but there was a time when it was a huge moneymaker. Vinyl cutting was the same. Lasers are now the big thing, but their time will come. One has to be ready for the next wave.

Mark

Michael Kowalczyk
09-10-2007, 6:44 PM
Hey Keith,
I just did a quick check and there are only 6 CNC only and 19 Laser & CNC on the list and I am sure that list is not exclusive to the total amount of active members/user's but if there was a NEED for a separate one I say OK but I just don't see a NEED. Maybe you could PM the other CNC user's and see what they think also.
I think if everyone just adds their machinery and software in their signature, anyone could do a search and see who has the same stuff and PM them or elect to just post the question. (I will try a search and see what happens)
I wonder if the 6 who only have a CNC go through this forum even though they do not have a laser?

Yes I agree that some are not as active as this one. I think there are 9 posts on this subject in the last 3 hours and I can not see the amount of hits from this screen yet but I will shortly and post it here (51)

File sharing is a nice thought but from my experience is hard to find because most of the CNC people I know make their living from it and it is hard to give that kind of help to a possible competitor. Fun things like whirlygigs or generic items for the home I have seen and given a few myself but not to common from what I have seen. cross platform can help both sides. I often let some one that is unfamiliar with the product look at it and see if they understand it or assemble it and ask their opinion to see if what I see clearly is conveyed that way also.

Marc Myer
09-10-2007, 7:17 PM
Either way, I'd like to see more CNC options. I still own a CNC machine, but haven't used it in years. I'm looking to buy a new one, but the dedicated Yahoo and other forums are not the same as our Sawmill Creek. They can be inordinately technical and a bit arcane for my taste.

In fact, I'd like to ask if you CNC mill owners can tell us what CNC machine you are using, and if you'd recommend it?

pete hagan
09-10-2007, 7:29 PM
Seperate the forums...I've been asking CNC related questions at CNCZONE.com because my impression is wood working, crafts people and more home shop stuff here at the creek. I'd like to have a large gantry wood cnc but right now I'm just a laser and metal working CNC guy with just decent wood skills and equipment. The wife would not let me build what I wanted in a manly garage and my real shop is very small ~3000 sqft.

When I get to buy that "gentlemen's horse farm" around here I'll have a shop bigger that the house for certain.

Pete

Scott Challoner
09-10-2007, 8:46 PM
Can one post go to more than one forum?
Perhaps there could be a separate CNC forum that is also directed to the laser forum. That way, the CNC folks wouldn't have to wade through all of the laser only stuff, but us laser only people still get to keep an eye on CNC applications. (Hope this doesn't sound greedy)
As Mark W. mentioned, you need to be prepared for the next big thing. As my business grows (hopefully) I may see more need for CNC machines. I would like to be able to keep an eye on their applications.

Dennis Ford
09-10-2007, 8:50 PM
I would like to see it seperated. I have a small home made CNC machine, usually go to cnczone for their forum.

Keith Outten
09-10-2007, 9:24 PM
Can one post go to more than one forum?
Perhaps there could be a separate CNC forum that is also directed to the laser forum. That way, the CNC folks wouldn't have to wade through all of the laser only stuff, but us laser only people still get to keep an eye on CNC applications. (Hope this doesn't sound greedy)
As Mark W. mentioned, you need to be prepared for the next big thing. As my business grows (hopefully) I may see more need for CNC machines. I would like to be able to keep an eye on their applications.

Scott,

Cross posting can be done but the feeling is that threads are almost always better suited to one forum based on the original posters intent. There are often fine lines to consider but it can get confusing when people see the same thread in multiple forums.

We recently created a new Sign Design and Fabrication Forum, although there is some shared interest from laser engravers we felt it would promote the topic better by having a dedicated forum just for signs. I think that we may also see more CNC discussion, and see a more rapid growth rate if we create a new CNC Forum based on watching the turners forum here explode when we decided to create a forum just for turners.

What we don't want to do is create so many forums here that it becomes difficult to navigate The Creek, to find information or keep in touch with those you share an interest.

Kenneth Hertzog
09-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Hi all
I started with some pantagraphs and still have all 5 then went and purchased a sherline CNC milling machine and then a sherline lathe. And then went into the craft business. currently have 5 lathe and 2 milling machines at this point I purchased the laser engraver to further the craft business and it has been a great asset to the business. This Fourm has been a very big asset to my business all though I don't post that often I read daily. And as stated earlier CNC information has been almost nonexistent. BUT i'm still here and glad of it.
If seperated it would be interesting to see how many people will post info. on the CNC portion.
ken
thank you all for helping make this fourm what it is :) ;)

Michael Kowalczyk
09-11-2007, 1:27 AM
We recently created a new Sign Design and Fabrication Forum, although there is some shared interest from laser engravers we felt it would promote the topic better by having a dedicated forum just for signs. I think that we may also see more CNC discussion, and see a more rapid growth rate if we create a new CNC Forum based on watching the turners forum here explode when we decided to create a forum just for turners.

What we don't want to do is create so many forums here that it becomes difficult to navigate The Creek, to find information or keep in touch with those you share an interest.

Hey Keith,
Which came first, the Turners forum or the Laser Engravers...?
Since the Turner"s forum seems to be the 2nd largest in the activity and posts levels on the Creek, it would be interesting to see the stats on this.

Would you need another moderator?

Frank Corker
09-11-2007, 3:38 AM
I'm sorry I just want to clarify. I would prefer them to be seperate. Checking two different forums is not too difficult for those who have both and much easier to find answers/previous posts if you are searching a particular answer to your question.

Ed Lang
09-11-2007, 7:37 AM
Michael Kowalczyk, Keith and I have talked at least twice about making Laser one and CNC another topic. That is why I posted the question, I wanted to know what others thought. I own a ShopBot PRT Alpha96 and just three days ago hosted a Camp ShopBot, with several factory folks here. Believe me, not paying for software, or support is not the reason I post here. Most if not all of my posting about the CNC machine is done on either the ShopBot forum or the Vectric forum. I love the Vectric software! I also use Corel X3 for the design of both laser and CNC projects. I asked, and ShopBot responded by adding a Corel topic on their Forum. I find Sawmill Creek to be the the last place I would post about CNC. I also find Sawmill Creek to be the first place I would post about laser engraving. Keith would like to see the CNC section grow. I bet there are many other laser engraving sites, but this one meets my needs and I am comfortable here. That is just not the case with CNC, so I go elsewhere.

I got a little "stiff" when reading your post so wanted to make sure the "air" was clear about why I posted the question.

If you look at the ShopBot forums or their company web site, you will find that I contribute to both the forum and the company web page.

I had folks at my ShopBot camp that found out about it because of my post here.

SMC is a large group of folks with a lot of knowledge.

Bob Reda
09-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I would like to see two forums. I believe that it would increase the cnc traffic , right now as most have said this is considered a laser engraver forum ( the best of the web) so cnc users are a little reluntant to post. Also so cross filing is here, I could use the corel files that are passed on to each other here on my cnc machine. I would check both forums. I run the Vectic software but would like to know and hear about other software programs specificly to cnc machines. I would like to see file sharing for cnc machines, I have no problem helping out a fellow woodworker looking for a file for a job as long as we are not both bidding on the job. 3d or 2.5 d engraving and carving is now big for cnc , just because the software became easier to use and models are plentiful, yet this is not pratical for lasers. I would like to listen to and learn the different materials to route, laser engraving these materials doesn't do me any good. So there are a lot of differences between the two. As far as the maintaince programs go, most cost more than the software over the longhaul (even artcam) maybe some of us don't do this 8 hrs a day 6 days a week and the price is a little steep per year to ask a question . So there would be a lot of benefits to having seperate forums. As I would suspect that the members here at SWC would not hesitate to help one another when asked, this has been our trademark.

Bob
prt48(used),vecteic Vcarve Pro-4, Cut 3d,Photo V carve\
Corel 11 and X3
All Adobe software
Casmat Pro
Turbo cad
Carvewright

Keith Outten
09-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey Keith,
Which came first, the Turners forum or the Laser Engravers...?
Since the Turner"s forum seems to be the 2nd largest in the activity and posts levels on the Creek, it would be interesting to see the stats on this.

Would you need another moderator?

Michael,

The Turners Forum is the first that was a spin-off of another forum here. There was a lot of discussion before we decided to make the change and clearly it was the right decision. The Turners Forum quickly grew and assumed the second most popular Forum here. Of course part of the reason is that turners are a large group anyway but many would not participate here until we had a dedicated Forum.

The Laser Woodworking Forum was something I started that didn't make sense to many of our Members at first. Laser engravers aren't what most consider woodworking machines but I felt that many woodworkers would embrace the technology and the Forum would grow...and it has. Our Laser Forum is very popular and Members report to me every month how beneficial it has been helping them to solve problems and increase their own experience. There is definitely strength in numbers and our strength has helped several of our Members deal with the manufacturers of their machines when they have had serious problems.

File sharing between Laser Owners and CNC Owners would be a definite benefit from a growing CNC community. Not just vector files as many CNC routers are now capable of raster engraving with new software that has recently come on the market. Another major plus is that our forum would not be machine or manufacturer specific, all would be welcome. Considering how many different laser engravers that are represented here we get along quite nicely and there haven't been many barriers to overcome. We can do the same thing in support of the CNC group.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations and feedback, we don't have to make a hasty decision, we have plenty of time to discuss this at our leisure. Keep your comments coming.

Michael Kowalczyk
09-11-2007, 1:30 PM
Hey Ed,
I kinda figured that this may have spawned out of the Shopbot camp you hosted. I am glad to hear it went well. Even though I do not use a Shopbot, if I lived closer I probably would have stopped by to say Hi and learn something also. We all benefit from this forum and I put out the questions as I did to invite other thoughts. If you are able to overcome the cons in the beginning, the pros can grow faster and with less hiccups.

When you get ready to take a road trip do you just get in and drive or do you go through a check list? If you do not think of what could go wrong first, how do you know what to check or bring? Do you check your oil, coolant, wiper fluid, air in tires, do you have a good spare with air in it, etc...? Or would you just make sure your tripleA was paid up and hope for the best? Sure we can't see all that could happen but if you knew that something happened on your last trip would you not check it also. Even better is if a friend took the same road trip before, with a different vehicle, and advised you of problem they had you would probably either call ahead and see if it still existed or make plans for an alternative route to avoid that problem. Now there's no guarantee that the alternative route will not have any problems but if you do your diligence, in my opinion, most can be avoided.

Ed, I think a dedicated CNC forum here would be a great asset to the Creek Members. I also agree with Keith's last post about
"Thanks to everyone for their recommendations and feedback, we don't have to make a hasty decision, we have plenty of time to discuss this at our leisure. Keep your comments coming."
So please do not think I directed or implied anything to you personally. Like you I am also active in several other forums to and know that pirated software is rampant in many of them. I do pay my maintenance fees for software and CNC tech support because I use them to run the business and when I need a specific answer, I want to be able to call and get it quickly. This forum has many members that are both knowledgeable and giving. My hope is that I give far more than I take.

Kim Vellore
09-11-2007, 7:25 PM
I like it AS IS, Mostly laser and a few CNC. I have both CNC and laser and like the views of folks having both. If one wants more info on CNC there are many CNC forums that are buzzing with CNC only folks. One recent example was how to convert Corel Vector graphics to Gcode, That is something that would not have come up in a CNC only or a laser only forum. This was a very useful piece of information for me because I would have never thought of using Corel for CNC

Kim

Mike Kelly
09-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Ed, I think having separate CNC and Laser sections would be better in the long run. I enjoy reading both, but would probably be more stimulated to ask or answer on the CNC only section.

Mike Golka
10-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I post and check in both the turners and general forum as well as keep a eye open here but as stated several times in this thread not much CNC action. I personaly would like to see more. If seperating the section gets more CNCers chating go for it.
-----------
24" x 36" Homemade CNC

Robert Murray
10-10-2007, 11:53 PM
I am just getting start with my laser these forums have saved me 100s of hours of trial and error. Thanks for that.

From my limited time here it would seem to make the most sense to have two sections.

Keith Outten
10-11-2007, 7:57 AM
Thanks Robert, I hope that we will be as successful with CNC routing as we have been with our Laser Engraving Forum and I think everyone will benefit from additional people joining our Community sharing their talent and expertise.

It seems that there are plenty of our Members who are supportive of the new CNC Forum so we will create the new Forum this weekend. A few of the CNC posts will be moved from existing forums to the new forum as time permits.

Thanks everyone for your time and comments.

Keith

Larry Bratton
10-12-2007, 8:50 PM
Should be separate. Totally different procedures and software involved. Toolpathing for CNC machines and the related issues are simply not related to creating output for the laser via a printer driver and print oriented software. Just my two cents worth.

Neal Schlee
10-13-2007, 11:52 AM
IMO, split'em up if you want CNC to grow, they're 2 completely different animals.
Seems a lot of small operater's have Shopbots and they have a very good forum, I watch it regularly and I own Multicams.

Neal

Gary Gilbert
10-13-2007, 12:37 PM
I would be in favor of a laser-only forum.

Neville Stewart
10-13-2007, 8:11 PM
I'd love to see some CNC posts actually & yes it would be nice to find them easily AKA their own heading.