PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cutting Vinyl

Gary and Jessica Houghton
09-10-2007, 3:03 PM
I have read all the posts and all the cautions and ubderstand all the risks associated (PVC) with cutting vinyl. I have also read the many recomendations of purchasing a vinyl plotter. However, we have the need to laser cut a material, such as vinyl, for the occasional sign or window decal. I haves seen the reocmendations from the post that suggest "PVC free" polyester for these applications.

Our questions is: Where, specifically, can one find this polyester material? Can someone recommend a specific source?

Thanks,

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2007, 3:16 PM
Unfortunately I know of no source for any variety of colors in the poly vinyls. It's available in the metal foil-like films like mirror poly gold and silver, and clear. The clear can be painted with Krylon or Rustoleum made for plastic but it becomes hard to handle (weeding and applying) after painting.

My information from Arlon is that their vinyl contains so little PVC that it is safe to laser cut, that's per their factory techs but I prefer to be safe and use it very rarely. When I do, it's just to apply to acrylic to cut letters in the same color as I use for regular vinyl sign work so the colors match. Until you can get your own plotter, you might consider establishing a relationship with a local sign shop, where they cut your vinyl for you at a wholesale price, and you do laser work for them.

Craig Hogarth
09-10-2007, 4:22 PM
Spectra Eco Film is PVC Free and comes in a wide variety of colors. I haven't used it, but I just recently seen an advertisement for it. If you get some, let us know how it works out for you.

http://imprintables.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/dspCatalogCategory/catID/9/subCatID/145/index.html

ETA: The stuff is pretty pricey and if you are going to be doing more than the occasional sticker, it'd probably be much cheaper in the long run to get a vinyl cutter.

Scott Shepherd
09-10-2007, 4:31 PM
You can get sample booklets from all the major manufacturers. Some will give them away, some charge $10-15 each for them and give you a rebate when you buy your first roll.

There is a very limited amount of product out there that fits that description.

Some name brands would be Oracal, Avery, 3M, Arlon, and a couple more I can't remember off the top of my head.

Fellers (fellers.com) and signwarehouse.com both have the type of material listed next to it. So you can look for them in their catalogs or websites. The material will also have to be taped down, as it comes in rolls, so plan on having to tape it down flat somehow.

Larry Bratton
09-10-2007, 8:55 PM
I have read all the posts and all the cautions and ubderstand all the risks associated (PVC) with cutting vinyl. I have also read the many recomendations of purchasing a vinyl plotter. However, we have the need to laser cut a material, such as vinyl, for the occasional sign or window decal. I haves seen the reocmendations from the post that suggest "PVC free" polyester for these applications.

Our questions is: Where, specifically, can one find this polyester material? Can someone recommend a specific source?

Thanks,

Try Rowmark LaserLights. It's mighty close to plotter vinyl and is laser safe and has an adhesive back. It's also engravable http://www.rowmark.com/laser/Laserlights/laserlights.asp
I also print with a large Canon inkjet printer and laminate output with a polyester laminate. I have a laminate that is actually a 3 part product. I put it through a hot laminator first which applies a hot laminate to both sides. Then I am left with the printing with a release liner, underneath is a pressure sensitive adhesive. Peel off the liner and bingo..you have a stick on graphic. I can also cut it in my laser because it is paper and polyester. I use it with backlit media to apply to acrylic in the light boxes I am making for sale.

Mike Null
09-11-2007, 7:53 AM
I used to work for a very high volume shop and we lasered vinyl masks for all our sandblasting work. This was a rastering process and was done on thousands of pieces. We never had a problem with either of the the lasers.

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Spectra Eco Film is PVC Free and comes in a wide variety of colors. I haven't used it, but I just recently seen an advertisement for it. If you get some, let us know how it works out for you.

http://imprintables.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/dspCatalogCategory/catID/9/subCatID/145/index.html

ETA: The stuff is pretty pricey and if you are going to be doing more than the occasional sticker, it'd probably be much cheaper in the long run to get a vinyl cutter.
This is a heat transfer vinyl for application to fabric. I would not recommend it for use in permanent outdoor sign applications, vehicle or window lettering.

09-11-2007, 3:49 PM
Larry,

Can you share the specific products you are using in the laminate scenario? Also, if available, I'd love to see pics of your light boxes.

Thanks!

Larry Bratton
09-11-2007, 7:00 PM
Gary .Sending you a PM

Joni Campbell
09-13-2007, 7:10 AM
Myself and a friend both cut vinyl lettering. I have a plotter but at the moment have no where to set it up :( As soon as the remodling is done maybe I could cut them for you. But if you need them asap go to www.stencilmein.com (http://www.stencilmein.com) her name is Tori and is actually a new member of the creek :)

Mike S White
09-10-2013, 11:05 PM
#m Makes This now. http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?zzzzzzhfrKNzTb_z4b_zz_FZMjvZZZZ8-

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2013, 7:51 AM
Glad to see that, it will make a great film for doing puzzles. Too bad it's not available in colors, you must use a large format printer if you want color for such work as covering acrylic to cut out letters/logos.

Martin Boekers
09-11-2013, 9:45 AM
Vinyl is changing, I believe Magic Touch carries a PVC free vinyl. search here as I seem to recall there was posts with a vendor on this.