PDA

View Full Version : Noob Jointer Question

Ken Gartin
09-10-2007, 1:49 PM
Never owned a jointer but have been researching them and have now purchased one! So jointers have adjustments (whether wheel or lever) for the infeed and outfeed tables, right? Why would anyone ever want to adjust the height of the outfeed table? Shouldn't it always stay flush with the cutter height? Is it just to make fine adjustments after blade changes or to compensate for possible variations in blade sizes?

I've thought about this and I really hope it's not a stupid question that I'll regret asking, but oh well! :)

John Hemenway
09-10-2007, 1:53 PM
Not a stupid question, at all. In fact you answered it too!

Ken Gartin
09-10-2007, 2:06 PM
That's the only reason I could imagine! Thanks!

Ken Gartin
09-10-2007, 2:08 PM
BTW - Forgot to gloat a little...:D

This is what I bought (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130151533653&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003)

David DeCristoforo
09-10-2007, 2:14 PM
As you surmised and they verified, it's way easier to adjust the outfeed table to the knives than the other way around. Also, most quality jointers have a way to lock the outfeed table solidly in place once it's adjusted. This is in addition to the typical "kip lever" type table lock. If your jointer has such a locking system, be sure to make use of it as the outfeed table can "creep" out of adjustment if you only use the kip lever to lock it in position.

Jason Beam
09-10-2007, 2:45 PM
Someone once told me that you can adjust the outfeed table to create very shallow arcs in a controlled fashion. I have never tried it, and it may verywell have been a load of hooey. :)

Edit: Oh and nice deal, btw. Congrats!