PDA

View Full Version : Planer/Molder Help

Marc Coogan
09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
This is my first post and would like to say hello to everyone.I need to purchase a planer.I thought it would be nice to be able to cut moldings also.So I was set to buy the grizzly 13 planer molder for around a 1000.
Then I saw the woodmaster 718 that would run about 2600 with the pro-pack to my door.Seems like a good deal moder/planer/sander.I just need a some direction I guess on what to buy also open to other ideas.Any woodmaster owners out there Is switching from planer to sander hard, how much time does it take after getting it would you rather have seperate mach. for each task.My wood shop is 20 x 36 so saving space isnt a big deal just looking to spend my money wisely.
-Marc

Marc Coogan
09-10-2007, 2:47 PM
39 views and no thoughts?

Jim Becker
09-10-2007, 3:03 PM
Patience, Marc. There are not a huge number of Woodmaster users on most forums and those that have them may be at work... ;)

Oh, and welcome to the 'Creek!

Montgomery Scott
09-10-2007, 3:05 PM
You are probbaly better off going to woodnet to ask the question as there are a number of owners there and I haven't heard any negative stories about WM. You can also get an info packet from WM that includes a DVD on the changeout of the heads. Looks pretty straight forward. There is also RBI that makes a 15" combo planer as well that is well regarded.

Tim Lynch
09-10-2007, 4:54 PM
I have very little molder experience, so take this for what it's worth. A few years ago I bought an older Craftsman 12-1/2" planer/molder. It's a big heavy one (Model 233831). I didn't pay much... under $300, if I recall. I fixed it up and used it as a planer for a couple years and got satisfactory performance. Not many bells and whistles, but planes pretty well and has two feed rates.

I recently decided to try the molder function and bought a set of 3 HSS cutters from an ebay "store." The blades are fairly small... about 2-3/4" long and cost around $60. They are a symmetrical pattern that I used to cut casing and basecap.

All I can say is wow, the molding (rift sawn white oak) turned out great. I did no sanding; just nailed it up. The changeover/set up takes me about 20 minutes.

Although I haven't done it yet, I can see that I could set up multiple knives in the molder and leave it ready to mold different profiles.

My advice would be to look around for a used molder that you can use as a dedicated molder. It seems even a less-than-top-quality molder can produce good results. When my budget allows, I'll probably buy the latest and greatest finish planer.

Marc Coogan
09-10-2007, 5:19 PM
I orderd the wood master DVD should have it in a few days.This would be my first new tool purchase what a pain to many choices.Buying used is so much easier looks good,get to use it before you pay,and its saves some money.

Tom Veatch
09-11-2007, 2:08 AM
Marc, I don't have any experience with any of the particular models you've mentioned, but my philosophy is to go with dedicated machines for each task. The reason being to avoid the frustrations associated with wanting to do something and the machine being configured for something else. I've found that to be very frustrating and a real momentum breaker.

Marc Coogan
09-11-2007, 2:46 PM
I was starting to think the same thing myself anyone out have a grizzly molder.I would like to know what they think of it.

Dick Strauss
09-11-2007, 5:00 PM
Marc,
I don't own a WM but have used one with great results.

Let me explain:
I bought some very curly hard maple lumber from a local farmer/sawyer. Unfortunately my buddies Delta 8" jointer and 15" planer couldn't surface the curly wood cleanly, even with new blades set properly. I ended up jointing the material just to get one flat surface even if it ended up a little rough.

So, I asked another buddy if I could to try his WM. Well, I was able to smoothly plane down the lumber with almost no tearout. The WM has a separate DC motor for the roller drive system that you can adjust from 0-16fpm. After a few tries, I found that a speed of about 25-30 (4fpm with 280 CPI) worked best for this curly lumber.

Knowing how much of a difference the speed might make for certain lumber, I guess the VS Grizzly (G0488) for a few hundred dollars extra is a closer comparable unit. The WMs also have a much beefier motor (5HP vs 2HP). For the extra $$$$, I think I'd take the WM712/18 and get the extra capacity along with the stronger motor!

FYI-The sales price is currrently closer than you think:

WM712 12" 5HP planer $1300 (sale..MSRP of $2600)
WM718 18" 5HP planer $1700 (sale..MSRP of $3500)
Grizzly (G0488) 7" 2HP planer $1200

I don't work for either Grizzly or Woodmaster...just presenting my opinion!

James Suzda
09-12-2007, 8:01 AM
Hi Marc,
I’ve got the Woodmaster’s 718’s “little brother”, the 712, and have no complaints with the unit’s performance. The 712 has the same 5 hp motor as the 718 and with the variable speed feed rollers you can do a very nice job of molding or planing with very little chatter/milling marks.
I can switch from the planing head to the molding head in about 15 minutes. It takes longer to set up the proper depth and position if I’m trying to duplicate a previous run of molding. Because one of my knives is longer than 3 ¼ inch long I have to use the planer head to hold the knife and I have to take the planer knives out and replace them with the molding cutter. As you can imagine it takes a little longer to replace the planer knives than 15 minutes!!
I’ve never used the sanding drum so I can not give you any reports on it’s use. But, I think with the 5 hp motor and the variable speed feed it would be a little more powerful than my Performax is. But, I’ve heard reports that the hook and loop system might heat up and loose it’s grip on the paper.
One part of the Woodmaster that really shines is the use of the gang saw. If you are running a large amount of molding you can cut each piece of trim exactly the same width with no variance in a 16’ length. Try to do that with a table saw! <grin>
One final comment, you can call the Woodmaster sales-staff and do some “wheeling and dealing” with them. Don’t ever pay the full price for one!!
I could go on and sing more songs of praise, but everyone would think I work for Woodmaster.
Jim
PS: If you would like more info send me a PM. I sort of skimmed over the good and the bad to keep the message posting manageable.

Alister Orme
09-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't have direct experience with the grizzly, I do have a sears 13" ,which along with the jet are similar/lookalikes to the grizzly.

The sears can put out some nice stuff, is a bit finicky to set up- but with magnetic bases and other set up tools ...not unreasonable. I assume the same to be true of the griz and jet. The only problem I've had with the sears was the belt.... and this is solved in the other two brands by the way power is delivered to the shaft..much sturdier

I also have the shopfox knock off of the williams hussey and love the thing.
Set up is a breeze.

I have a separate planer to prepare stock.

Marc Coogan
09-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Thank You for your input.I am going to wait till next week to make up my mind.I did try to get woodmaster to drop the price a bit with no luck.I was just looking for a break on shipping but they just went on about how good their 718 is.

Keith Outten
09-13-2007, 7:00 AM
I own the Grizzly GO552 two HP planer/molder. It is a solid machine, smooth and quiet with plenty of power. At this point I am still making new red oak molding for our home renovation and the machine has performed perfectly. I have ordered knives from Grizzly and a couple other vendors including a custom set of knives I ordered for a neighbors molding. This is one of those "Jewels" that are a joy to use and I never tire of watching perfect molding exit the machine.

Marc Coogan
09-19-2007, 8:06 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.E-bay made my mind up for me.I picked up a woodmaster 718 with the propack and 6 moldinging knives for 1675.00.It was just 2 1/2 hours from my house.The guy I bought it from had a huge shop and was really nice he spent some time with me to show me how to use it etc.One of the best e-bay people so far.Hopefully I will get it hooked up in the next few days-Marc

Brian Weick
09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Marc,
It sounds like you want 1 machine to do it all. I was so close to getting one of those WM 718's. I have heard no complaints about it -Except-------, Changing from one platform to another- this is what stopped me from moving ahead. I never gave it much though until I talked with some owners of the WM. Biggest complaint was the changing from either planning, sawing, or shaping, something you have to take into consideration when you want one piece of equipment to do it all. My opinion is that when you have one machinery that is dedicated to just each step ,you will get better results ,less headaches and save time. You have to consider how much you really are going to save by doing it yourself- after all time is money- no matter how you look at it. I can go down to my Grossman's outlet and get 3-1/2" x 8' detailed decorative cherry cove molding for $3.95,yes-$3.95. And there are other sources I have as well. Point being ~ the time it takes to create this molding plus the cost of the wood , it's more like you will have to charge $3.95 per linear ft and up. This cost (if you made it) would be justifiable if you are refurbishing homes in there original detail and character. the shaper paddles will run you $75.00 and up for custom ground blades, and it is more likely that you will use them just for 1 job :eek: . I am not trying to turn you away from getting a machine that will do all that you expect out of it, but you have to look at all that is involved, expense, setup, repeated use issues. If you enjoy creating molding- go for it, but look at the realistic outlay of everything if you plan on marketing this.
Hope you enjoy what ever you get Marc.:)
Brian