PDA

View Full Version : "Safe Back File"

Mike Cutler
09-10-2007, 11:01 AM
It would appear that I got in over my head yesterday.:eek:

I bought a saw in an antique/junk store thinking it was a Disston D8 thumbhole saw.
Apparently, it may an Disston 120 ACME, 28" skewback ripsaw( I won't really know until I get all of the paint off. Which requires a 6" "safeback file" to sharpen the teeth. As near as I can tell a "Safeback" file is a file with only one set of teeth. The other two sides are flat.
Where do I get one of these files? and how is it used? The Disstonian site mentions it's special use, but no amplifying instructions.

I'll post a picture of the saw, if I have too. It's kind of embarrassing though:o .
One side of the saw has been painted with a wood duck scene, and the other side of the saw has been painted with a butterflies and flowers scene. The handle was "antiqued", as if a 90-100 year old saw wasn't antiqued enough.
The good news is that the blade is absolutely dead straight, and I highly doubt anyone has ever attempted to sharpen it.
I intended to restore it for use. So any tips to remove the paint would be great. I'm leaning towards Zip-Strip at this time.

TIA
Mike

Pat Zabrocki
09-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm no pro on the collectible thing but as I recall the 120 is kind of rare. Nice score but without pics........."didn't happen"

cheers
Pat

Mike Cutler
09-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm no pro on the collectible thing but as I recall the 120 is kind of rare. Nice score but without pics........."didn't happen"

cheers
Pat

Pic's? With or without the paintings? :eek: ,;)

The only thing I have to go on for identification is the single wheat sheaf chip carving on the handle. ( D8 had none,and D-100 had a lot).The aggressive angle of the teeth (zero), and the depth of the gullets.
Until I get the paint off it's still an unknown. If the Disstonian site is correct, the only saw that looks the same is the 120 ACME with the fingerhole handle.

Bob Smalser
09-10-2007, 6:15 PM
I have a few 120's now, including a thumbhole rip.

I wouldn't worry about duplicatiing Disston's flat-back teeth on these if it's already been resharpened with conventional teeth, especially if filing those teeth costs you any sawblade. Disston discontinued teeth with unbeveled backs around 1928, and after than even the older ones were generally sharpened with convention teeth.

But if the saw has its original width and is a pre-1928 you want entirely original, running one face of a slim taper file across a grinder will produce a "safe-back" file. Brownells sells safe-back files, but not in slim tapers.