PDA

View Full Version : Attention railroad fans in the NY area

jeremy levine
09-10-2007, 10:08 AM
One of the absolute best free "rail fan" events in coming October 20th
The metro-north Croton-Harmon open house.

Metro north , the commuter rail road for Westchester NY ( and a bit of Connecticut ) anually opens their largest repair facility ( really BIG). You can walk among a dozen or more cars and engines, and enter many of them inside and see more and take a free foliage ride outside. The machine shops ( oh man ) are open to see and almost every operational aspect of the railroad staffs a "booth" with very knowledgeable people. There are demos ( track cuttings, signal operation , line repair ).

They also have lots of trinkets for kids ( and adults )

I have no association with the railroad but everyone I know ( kids and adults ) love it. If you plan to go, plan to be there early.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/harmon_openhouse.htm

Brian Weick
09-10-2007, 10:14 AM
One of the absolute best free "rail fan" events in coming October 20th
The metro-north Croton-Harmon open house.

Metro north , the commuter rail road for Westchester NY ( and a bit of Connecticut ) anually opens their largest repair facility ( really BIG). You can walk among a dozen or more cars and engines, and enter many of them inside and see more and take a free foliage ride outside. The machine shops ( oh man ) are open to see and almost every operational aspect of the railroad staffs a "booth" with very knowledgeable people. There are demos ( track cuttings, signal operation , line repair ).

They also have lots of trinkets for kids ( and adults )

I have no association with the railroad but everyone I know ( kids and adults ) love it. If you plan to go, plan to be there early.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/harmon_openhouse.htm

Jeremy,
thanks for the post- I used to be into HO RR designs and layouts and did have one many years ago- That will definitely be a great tour! :)
Brian

John Shuk
09-11-2007, 8:31 PM
Thanks Jeremy. I'll have to save the date. I've done some work in there and seen some of the shops but would love the official tour.

Ed Falis
09-12-2007, 2:09 PM
Jeremy,

Thanks for posting that. My son is a railroad fanatic (he's in the boilermaker union and hopes to eventually get a job blacksmithing with the MBTA in Boston), and will almost certainly head down there for it.

- Ed

jeremy levine
10-18-2007, 9:21 AM
Rain or shine. There is also a free "foliage" ride , the trees are looking good.