PDA

View Full Version : First issue with Laser

Stephen Beckham
09-10-2007, 9:01 AM
Well - it was sure to come... My X axis belt has started fraying again - this time it's still linear, but it's about four inches long now. SO I ordered a new one. I was freaked out over the price - $25... If I had known that, I would have ordered one much sooner - I figured being Kevelar it was going to run me at least a bill or two...

Anyway - They say they shipped me a 5.25' belt. The belt is actually 60.25" long...:mad: :mad: :mad:

To the untrained eye (mine) I figured that must right...:confused: Nooo - 5.25' is about 64" long. 60.25" is 5' .25" long...

Well - good thing the instructions doesn't include cutting the old one off... It's back on and will have to hold out another day or two.

Thinus Rabie
09-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Well - it was sure to come... My X axis belt has started fraying again - this time it's still linear, but it's about four inches long now. SO I ordered a new one. I was freaked out over the price - $25... If I had known that, I would have ordered one much sooner - I figured being Kevelar it was going to run me at least a bill or two...

Anyway - They say they shipped me a 5.25' belt. The belt is actually 60.25" long...:mad: :mad: :mad:

To the untrained eye (mine) I figured that must right...:confused: Nooo - 5.25' is about 64" long. 60.25" is 5' .25" long...

Well - good thing the instructions doesn't include cutting the old one off... It's back on and will have to hold out another day or two.
Hi Stephen ,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Hope you get the problems solved very soon.

All the best

Thinus

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I find it curious that your belt frays, either you have some other problem causing it or you have put a lot of miles on your laser. How long have you had it, and how much is it run? Mostly rastoring (harder on the belt)?

Mines over 3 years old, run 6-8 hours a day most weekdays and some weekends and still have the original belts with no sign of wear (knocking on wood). I probably have a mix of use that's 20% more cutting then engraving.

Stephen Beckham
09-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Joe - I got it early in 2006 and it's got some miles on it. Mostly rastering.

I've got to find out - the auto tensioning jig was tight - causing the spring to not pull on the belt as the belt loosened. It seems like the spring should be allowed to keep tension the belt all the time. I've noticed it getting sloppy lately.

I'm pretty sure - it's my fault (I hope big brother didn't see that). What the hell - it's not under warranty anyway. I've talked about it a couple threads back where I had the laser in my Bus. It was very humid a couple times - from there it got really cold and I'd have to run several heaters to get it up to temp before burning anything. I believe the extremes in cold/warm and dry/wet environments led to my problem. Mostly running the laser in sub 30 degrees once or twice. Kevlar doesn't flex much when it's cold. Of course I wasn't happy about it either... This one is on me - not the laser...

All said and done - I'm extremely happy with the Epilog. This post was more about checking parts more closely. :rolleyes:

Mike Null
09-11-2007, 7:48 AM
Steve
You may well be right but there was another fellow on this forum who had similar problems which were recurring. I'm not sure what the final disposition was but I wouldn't be quite so fast to blame myself.

Bill Cunningham
09-11-2007, 9:56 PM
The mini must be quite a bit different from the TT.. If the X belt was too long, you could simply cut it down to size.. The belt on the TT is held to both sides of the head by matching the grooves on the belt, into grooves in the head, and holding it in place with two screw down clamps. The tension adjuster then tightens it up.. pretty simple..