PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore Kitchen Table

Stephen Stokes
09-10-2007, 7:05 AM
This table was inspired by David Ellsworth and Mark Singer's tables. For those of you that have had the pleasure of attending David Ellsworth's turning class, you will recognize the gap in the middle to be a natural edge. For those of you that have studied Mark's Wenge table, the base will be very familiar.

I set out to build this table with Ellsworth and Mark's table in minde. It is not complete yet, but after seeing the barber pole curl show up with the first coat of finish, I could not wait any longer to share the pictures.

The wood is quartersawn book-matched sycamore from Talarico in Pennsylvania. Overall dimensions are 40" x 78". The ends of the table are 38".

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
S Stokes

Joe Unni
09-10-2007, 7:12 AM
Steven,

Beautiful wood - just stunning!! And very nice work on the base. It's kind of neat to borrow details from designs you've seen and or studied and find a way to incorporate them into your own.

Good work indeed. Very much looking forware to the final product.

-joe

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Nice lumber~!!

Jim Becker
09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Very nice!...Talarico really has incredible QS stock from what I can see. And your table is great!

I have fondled both David's and Mark's tables, too...and love the design with the gap. I may do the same when I eventually build a new dining table for our home.

Ted Calver
09-10-2007, 12:15 PM
It's a beauty!! Does the base have to go up the stairs?

Stephen Stokes
09-11-2007, 6:26 AM
The base will go out the sliding glass door around the back through the back door.:D If it had to go up those stairs, I would be in trouble!:eek:

Stokes

John Shuk
09-11-2007, 8:16 PM
Very nice lumber. It is kind of rare to see pieces made of sycamore but I really like it alot. I have had the pleasure of visiting with David Ellsworth"s table as well and it is really inspiring. He told me that "it was of course inpired by George Nakashima"

jonathan snyder
09-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Stephen,

Very nice design!! I really like the sycamore!! What are you finishing with?

Jonathan

Suanne Lippman
09-12-2007, 12:12 AM
What is sycamore like?
I need some 6/4 for a project that needs some interesting grain and will take a dark stain; and can get some cheap 6/4 sycamore.
Is it a reasonable choice?

Stephen Stokes
09-12-2007, 6:53 AM
Jonathan,
I am finishing with Waterlox. If you look closely you will see the can in the picture.

Suanne,
It is unusual for American Sycamore to have the barber pole curl that you see in this wood. However, it is common for quartersawn American Sycamore to have a substantial amount of ray fleck. That being said, the ray fleck is not large like oak. If you search on the internet or view Talarico's web site you can find examples of the ray fleck typical of American Sycamore. Just be certain you are looking at American Sycamore as European Sycamore is in the Maple family.

Regards,
Stokes

Nate Rogers
09-12-2007, 7:27 AM
Stephen,
I really like it, please post some pics of the table when it is completed..I would love to see them, well done!!

Ed Falis
09-12-2007, 2:00 PM
Beauteous!