PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Ants

Greg Crawford
09-10-2007, 12:03 AM
I have a couple of hummingbird feeders that the ants found. It dawned on me that maybe something really sticky would deter the ants without repelling the birds. I've tried using double sided carpet tape, like is used on router templates, and wrapped it around the hook one of the feeders is on. So far, it looks like it's working. Just please don't tell the EPA! I'm sure there is some environmental regulation I'm violating. After all, I'm not using the product in accordance with label directions.

Jim Becker
09-10-2007, 8:47 AM
Interesting tip, Gregg. Maybe I'll try that indoors....the combination of messy little girls and two messy birds don't seem to help with controlling the little buggers...:eek:

Stephen Beckham
09-10-2007, 9:05 AM
Watch though - those little critters are creative and like good little soldiers - some will sacrifce themselves so that others may crawl across them. It's only a matter of time - it's like when their in water - some will sacrifice themselves so others can stay atop the water...

Crazy little critters...

David G Baker
09-10-2007, 9:42 AM
Greg,
A product called Tangle Foot is sold by nurseries and some hardware stores and is designed for exactly what you are looking for. It is very sticky the ants will not cross the barrier. I used it on trees in California that attracted ants and it worked great. It needs to be reactivated once in a while by rubbing it to clear off the dust that has adhered to it. It is a mess if you get it on you but is harmless to pets and humans. Make sure the items you want to protect are totally isolated from touching anything that the ants can use to bridge the product.

Greg Crawford
09-11-2007, 7:27 AM
Interesting you mention that David. I used to have some and used it all up, so didn't have any on hand. I guess that's where I got the idea. I need to get some more, as it really worked! Just don't use it on items you will be handling very often, as it doesn't wash off hands very easily.

Thanks,

Greg