PDA

View Full Version : Maple burl HF please critique

Bob Hallowell
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
this is a peice from a larger burl I got a few months ago in the woods, it crack on the sides (long grain) so I wasn't able to get big peices out of it but this was from one of the smaller peices I saved.

7"tall, 6 1/2" wide

Buffed anitque oil

Please tell me what you all think as I am alwasys trying to learn.

thanx,
Bob
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/bobha8/mbhf38.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Well Bob I can't critque because it looks pretty good to me. I really like the wood. Well done.

Neal Addy
09-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Bob, I really like the form. You nailed the proportions. Nicely tapered foot, good curve line up the wall, and a high soft shoulder. Great example of the classic form. The raised lip nicely defines the opening and makes one want to peer inside.

Excellent work!

George Guadiane
09-10-2007, 1:02 AM
Not to pick nits Bob, but is it possible that the burl is cherry?
I like it, no matter what you call it.

mike fuson
09-10-2007, 1:14 AM
Nice piece indeed Bob, the wood is very interesting . The thing I try to remember when doing hollow forms is to keep soft flowing lines and to stay away from sharp transitions. I like the form and would imagine that it looks quite nice sitting on a shelf. Nice work.

Keith Christopher
09-10-2007, 7:23 AM
Nice flow and good lines to me, good choice in wood.

in EBAY terms: A+++++++

Bob Hallowell
09-10-2007, 7:24 AM
Not to pick nits Bob, but is it possible that the burl is cherry?
I like it, no matter what you call it.

George you are probaly right I harvested this burl in the spring before the leaves were out. The tree was small and the bark didn't really look like either but the wood was white at the time so I called it a maple but is probaly cherry.

thanks for the other comments guys,
Bob

Alex Cam
09-10-2007, 7:37 AM
Great piece -- I have nothing negative to say about it. Excellent job.

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2007, 9:00 AM
Beautiful hollow form Bob! Love the grain, color, all the defects and most of all - the shape! Great job! Saved this one to my favorites folder! Thanks for posting!

Frank Kobilsek
09-10-2007, 9:13 AM
Bob,
Its just plain good.

Personally on my pieces I wonder how thin it has to be before its really 'special', but ussually I am pleased with myself if the wall thickness is consistent. Veiwing thru the hole your wall thickness looks right at the point where I find myself thinking this is great but if I could have gone just a bit farther I'd really impress somebody. Then when showing my work to non-turners, thin doesn't impress anybody so ... ??? ...

Keep up the good work.

Frank

Christopher K. Hartley
09-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Bob I'd say darn nice work! Form appears to be right on and the wood has lots of character. I wish I could help you with a critique but I really can't find anything. Lighting precluded me from commenting on the finish as i can't see it well enough. Overall rating? Do More of them, I like it!!:)

Bob Hallowell
09-10-2007, 7:11 PM
Bob,
Personally on my pieces I wonder how thin it has to be before its really 'special', but ussually I am pleased with myself if the wall thickness is consistent. Veiwing thru the hole your wall thickness looks right at the point where I find myself thinking this is great but if I could have gone just a bit farther I'd really impress somebody. Then when showing my work to non-turners, thin doesn't impress anybody so ... ??? ...

Keep up the good work.

Frank

Thanks for all the kind words guys, and Frank I agree. this peice is about 3/16 and all the thinner I dare.

Bob

Ernie Nyvall
09-10-2007, 10:31 PM
It's a very nice piece Bob. Since you asked, I'm going to get picky, but of course I'm no expert and it's just my opinion. First of all, it's hard to get a good view of it without a straight-on profile pic. All the pics seem to be looking down just a bit. In the pic with the hole, there seems to be a small flat spot just before the shoulder, but I don't see it in the other pics. After the shoulder the sides have a nice smooth curve to the foot, but for me, I would like to see them bulged out a bit more to make for a smoother transition from the shoulder. That being said though, the angle of the pictures is going to make the sides look straigter than they are. I really like the way you did the shoulder up to the mouth... very nice form there.

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Well....I looked and looked.....the only thing is, like Ernice, I'd like a more straight-on profile pic. Other than that and from what I've seen so far, its all good and the only problem with it? It's not in my collection. ;)

Ed Scolforo
09-11-2007, 4:03 PM
Well Bob, I really like everything about it, the form and the wood are great!