PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer Bench Dog Holes?

Jared Cuneo
09-09-2007, 9:55 PM
First of all, is this wise? Second, if so, what's the best way to do it? Large countersink bit in a drill or router chamfer bit? I'm leaning towards the drill method, but haven't seen a countersink bit this large at the big box stores....

Even Woodcraft only lists a 3/4 diameter bit, and that would slip right into the hole :confused:

And BTW, thanks for everyone's help in getting this far....Perhaps you've noticed the dumb questions for the past month... :)

Thanks!!!

JC

Jim Becker
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I did not chamfer my dog holes, but I did ease the edges with a little 220 paper just a proverbial hair...more of a safety thing than anything else.

glenn bradley
09-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I did what Jim did but have seen folks use a router and a chamfer bit to get the result you discuss. I prefer to have full support all the way to the surface for my dogs.

Gary Keedwell
09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I didn't chamfer mine either but for reference, I have a 1 1/2" countersink in my shop. If you can't find it in woodworking catalogs, try a BIG BOOK like Mc Masters. Funny how machinist's tools work just fine for woodworking.;)

Gary K.

Bruce Page
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I didn’t champher mine. I don’t see any advantage, in fact adding a champher only takes away support for the dog.

Jared Cuneo
09-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Seems unanimous, no chamfer on the dog holes :)

Thanks!!!

JC