PDA

View Full Version : Slipped into the Vor....Tex

Tom Hamilton
09-09-2007, 9:10 PM
Greetings experienced Turners from a very inexperienced Turner:

About 45 minutes experienced.

But I'm thinking this could be fun. The recent thread about a deal on a Delta Midi prompted a delivery on Texas. So I'm now trying to figure out how to use this thing.

The practice piece is a piece of 2X. Lot's of learning to do.

But the tools are confusing. I've got this bunch of old Buck Bros turning tools, some work and most don't.

So the questions:

How do you sharpen these babies. I tried to "scary sharp" them but that was not efficient. The books say get a grinding jig. Do you all have a recommendation? Wood Mag thinks the Penn State Ind version is a buy. Anyone have experience this one?

Second, are these old tools users or display. Would a new set hasten the learning curve. Again Wood Mag likes the Benjamin's Best set. Any support for this brand in the Creek? Or any other brand.

Finally, any Houston turners who want to teach a private lesson or several?

Best regards,

Tom, in Houston, happy to be in the vor....Tex

Nancy Laird
09-09-2007, 9:20 PM
Bump, bump, bump, bump, another one bites the dust.:D Welcome to the vortex, Tom, although from the looks of that spindle, you know more about turning than you are letting on.

You might try contacting Chris Hartley in Spring. He's a member here (just had his interview posted yesterday). He's been an invaluable resource for me, and I'm sure he'd give you some pointers.

Nancy (103 days)

Thomas Canfield
09-09-2007, 9:22 PM
Tom, Welcome tothe vortex from another Tom. You have made a good start on the piece of 2x2 and things will get better and easier when you have sharp tools and learn some techniques. There ought to be several in the Houston area that can give you some guidance. The latest issue of Wood Magazine has a good article on getting started in woodturning for under $600 and mentions some tools, grinder, and sharpening system that can get you started on the slippery downhill slope of needing more, and bigger, and ..., and,... and... Be on the lookout for the "found wood" from trees and others will often be willing to share.
Again, welcome - your flatwork will definitely see less of you.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2007, 9:25 PM
Tom..........You have successfully completed your first spindle project....and you are hooked! Congrats and enjoy.

Bobby Perry
09-09-2007, 9:56 PM
Howdy from Galveston area. I don't know where in Houston you are but there are several of us that dab in the vortex around here.

Here is a club that has some of the best around that will be happy to show you anything you need to know.
http://www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org/

George Guadiane
09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Greetings experienced Turners from a very inexperienced Turner:

But the tools are confusing. I've got this bunch of old Buck Bros turning tools, some work and most don't.

So the questions:

How do you sharpen these babies. I tried to "scary sharp" them but that was not efficient. The books say get a grinding jig. Do you all have a recommendation? Wood Mag thinks the Penn State Ind version is a buy. Anyone have experience this one?

Second, are these old tools users or display. Would a new set hasten the learning curve. Again Wood Mag likes the Benjamin's Best set. Any support for this brand in the Creek? Or any other brand.

Finally, any Houston turners who want to teach a private lesson or several?

Best regards,

Tom, in Houston, happy to be in the vor....Tex
Cindy Drozda, Beth Ireland and other including me use allen wrenches, cut off and sharpened, and they get "pretty good results.":D My point is, almost anything that can take an edge can be used for turning, so your tools COULD be used. Scary sharp is good when properly done. It's not just a sharp tool, you have to present it properly.
A mentor would be the fastest way to get the information you want, but ask why and how, not what (so much). There are so many products, and some work for almost everyone, some... not so much.

OH, and not that I was good at it, but PATIENCE is important. Not just because it reduces the mistakes, but it might save an injury. Turning is FUN, and it will still be fun when you "know what you are doing" (not that we ever know it all).

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Tom welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. You have already gotten some good advice. Join a turning club or get together with another turner. That's the best way to learn and if that is not possible get some books and videos.

Rich Souchek
09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Welcome Tom to the vortex....
What part of Houston?
I live now on the northeast side of Richmond, which I consider as Houston. Work up by 290 & Beltway 8 on the west side. Quit a few of us turners in Houston.
Best place to learn something real soon is next Saturday morning (Sept 15 @ 9:00 am at the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft) at the Gulf Coast Woodturners Assocaiation monthly meeting.
Check out the Sept newsletter on the club site. http://www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org/
Believe Chris Hartley lives in Spring and there are others here. May be time to have a Houston wood turners barbaque somewhere for all of us.
Any other interested?
And Tom, yes I would be glad to gieve you some free leasons and pointers. Dick S. & I turned for about 2 hours in my shop recently and it was amazing what we both learned from each other.
Rich S.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the Vortex my friend! You are in the Big Black Hole now for sure. Nice setup you have there and I can see you are well on your way. If you have a need for some turning wood I have plenty and you are welcome to come and get some. I have some bowl blanks and other stuff that will fit your lathe just fine. I look forward to meeting you.:)