PDA

View Full Version : Finally had a chance to turn something

Tim Malyszko
09-09-2007, 8:51 PM
I'm back from Eau Claire, WI this weekend and finally got an opportunity to turn something. Since I have to go back on Tuesday and had to take care of a bunch of other stuff at home, I only had time to turn a pen, but here it is.

The bottom of the pen is Lacewood and I'm not sure of the top. At first I thought it was Cocobolo, but after turning it, it became obvious that it was not. When turning it, the darker top gave off a smell that I can best describe as a jar of pickles. Anyone have an idea of what it may be?

It was nice to get back into the shop and make something. Hopefully, things will slow down in about a month at work and I'll have more time to enjoy my hobbies.

Happy Turning.

Nancy Laird
09-09-2007, 9:15 PM
It looks like bocote to me. Each half is very nice; I'm not sure I like the pairing of the two woods in one pen though. Sort of like wearing stripes with plaid. :D What happened to the other halves of the two blanks?

Nancy (103 days)

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I am with Nancy I think it is bocote. I have to agree it is a nice pen but not sure I would put those woods together. It is always nice to get back to turning.

Keith Cope
09-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I agree on the bocote, though it is a bit hard to tell from the photo.

It is always good to find a little shop time after being out for a while.

-kc