PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bosch jigsaw baseplate

Louis Brandt
09-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Hello,
I’ve been using my new (but inexpensive) Black & Decker jigsaw to remove the bottom couple of inches of a length of 1x6 cedar fence pickets, and I built a wooden jig for the saw to ride on, so that I can get a clean, straight cut along the entire length of the fence. To make the cut, I stand the saw vertically and rest the baseplate against the side of my jig and move it along. The problem is, after I cut a few inches, I find that the adjustable-tilt baseplate has moved out of its original locked-in position. On this saw, you lock the baseplate into whatever angled position you want by tightening a plastic knurled wheel. It seems that the pressure that I exert when running the saw along the jig causes the baseplate to get out of its locked position.
My question is, if I bought a Bosch 1590 or 1591 jigsaw, would I be sure that its baseplate would lock in more securely? I know that Bosch jigsaws have a great reputation, but I’m wondering whether anyone has used either of these enough or in such a way as to be sure that the Bosch 1590 or 1591 jigsaw baseplate will hold its position, even under pressure.
Thanks,
Louis

Steve Clardy
09-09-2007, 8:15 PM
My bosch, and I assume, all have a hex head screw for the base lock/tilt.

It takes an allen wrench to loosen/tighten it. Mine has never had movement issues.

Bill Huber
09-09-2007, 9:23 PM
I have never had mine come loose of move at all. I have used it with some long blades on some really bad 2x4s and had no problem.

Tom Henderson2
09-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Louis-

I have a Bosch jigsaw and love it -- I don't know the number but it is 10 years old or so and has been bulletproof.

BUT -- the problem with jigsaws in general is that the blade itself is a bit flexible, and even if you move the saw base in a perfectly straight line, the resulting cut may have some waviness.

So I'd suggest taking a close look at the Bosch and making your own judgement about its construction. But don't expect too much out of any jigsaw; they do a great job of cutting curves, but won't be as straight as a circular saw on the straight stuff.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Michael Schwartz
09-10-2007, 3:44 AM
Cheap jigsaws are an annoyance. All they really do is vibrate alot and frustrate the user. Do yourself a favor and get a beter one. The bosh is a very good choice, and so is the dewalt which is cheaper.

The cons of a cheap jigsaw is that they are going to have poor adjustments, are going to run very rough and vibrate alot, and have lousy blade support.

A good jigsaw is going to run very smoothly, be ergonomic, have good adjustments, and is going to have good blade support.

Good blades are also essential, and use the largest and thickest blade for the application as it is going to be less likely to wander.

Take the cut slowly, forcing the saw will only incourage the blade to wander or follow the grain.

For some reason the cuts you are making sound like something you could use a circular saw for.

Bob Aquino
09-10-2007, 7:53 AM
Louis-

I have a Bosch jigsaw and love it -- I don't know the number but it is 10 years old or so and has been bulletproof.

BUT -- the problem with jigsaws in general is that the blade itself is a bit flexible, and even if you move the saw base in a perfectly straight line, the resulting cut may have some waviness.

So I'd suggest taking a close look at the Bosch and making your own judgement about its construction. But don't expect too much out of any jigsaw; they do a great job of cutting curves, but won't be as straight as a circular saw on the straight stuff.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

The current crop of Bosch jigsaws as well as most of the other new designs support the back of the blade so they should do fine for what he wants to do. I would use as large and aggressive blade that would fit on the saw for this job. The base plate on all these new saws will work fine. B&D stuff IMHO is mostly junk, and a tool like a Bosch will make all the difference.