PDA

View Full Version : Project: Custom Framed Artwork

Joe Unni
09-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey all,

Here is a project I delivered yesterday.

Project: custom frame for hand painted ceramic tiles for a very talented artist. The picture is called "San Remo"
Design: other than discussing wood choices, the client gave me free reign
Size: ~34"w x 45"h
Materials: purples heart with curly maple plugs.
Joinery: half lap (or almost half) with a plugged single screw
Details: rails and stiles have shaped and smoothed, random undulations, the tiles are fixed to 1/2" baltic birch ply substrate that is let into back of frame via rabbet and then surface cleated top and bottom to hold the tiles into the frame.
Finish: 3 coats Arm-r-seal semi with a coat of wax
Firsts: random shaping

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking,
-joe

Jim Becker
09-09-2007, 2:13 PM
The undulations on the frame are quite eye-catching...really a nice uniqueness to set off the tiles!

Glenn Clabo
09-09-2007, 4:52 PM
Joe...
I like it. The frame is interesting in itself...what did the customer think about how it works with the art/tiles?

Jason Tuinstra
09-09-2007, 5:56 PM
Joe, nice random undulations :p Seriously, nice job on this project. You've made an ordinary frame extraordinary.

Joe Unni
09-09-2007, 7:10 PM
The undulations on the frame are quite eye-catching...really a nice uniqueness to set off the tiles!

Thanks Jim. I wanted something that was soft and organic and was very pleased the way the frame complimented the artwork.

Joe...
I like it. The frame is interesting in itself...what did the customer think about how it works with the art/tiles?

Thanks Glenn. The customer really liked it...well she said she loved it about 20 times during the install. Does that count? ;)

Joe, nice random undulations :p Seriously, nice job on this project. You've made an ordinary frame extraordinary.

Jason. I sense a bit of sarcasm with my descriptors ;) :D . Really, I didn't know quite how to describe what I did. Thanks for your kind words.