PDA

View Full Version : Kim Residence Wins Honor Award 2007

Mark Singer
09-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Last Night at the American Institute of Architects Annual Awards Gala the Kim Residence won The Honor Award 2007. It was the only Residence that won an award of any level. The Honor Award is the hightest Award given. This is the home where I made most of the furniture and posted it or tutorials as it was being made. I was very excited to win this award. I have not submited for 7 years and it is good to see I still have it. Prior to that I won 11 consecutive years garnering 27 awards...that is the record for any residenial firm in the Orange County Chapter. So all the hard work (I never call it work:rolleyes: ...was worth it!)

Lars Thomas
09-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Mark, congratulations on the well deserved award. AND thanks for sharing it with us as you went along. Lars

Joe Unni
09-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Hats off and congratulations! You certainly deserve it!

-joe

Tom Ruflin
09-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Mark, congratulations and as Lars mention above, thanks for sharing your knowledge and skills.

Pat Zabrocki
09-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Congratulations, everything you build is just beautiful! The awards are very well deserved, your posts are must-reads and your work is just plain inspiring.

cheers
Pat

Mark Singer
09-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Thank you!
Interesting that 2 of the Jurors were from the mid west and the third from San Fransisco......I guest The home was not "Too California" for them:confused: http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Jurors

John Peterson
John Peterson is the principal of Peterson Architects as well as the founder and chair of Public Architecture. Established in 1993 and based in San Francisco, Peterson Architects focused initially on residential projects involving challenging design and land use issues. John has subsequently developed the firm into a design-intensive practice enriched by the contributions of a diverse group of professionals with expertise in architecture, education, graphic design, journalism, landscape architecture, law, and publishing. John and his firm have also dedicated substantial amounts of time to arts institutions, city agencies, community development corporations, and social service agencies. In 2002, the firm's unorthodox pro bono work evolved into Public Architecture.
In addition to his service via Public Architecture, John serves on several nonprofit boards, including Urban Solutions as well as the South of Market Business Association. He is a mayoral appointed member of the City of San Francisco’s Green Vision Council and was a mayoral appointed technical consultant to the City’s Partnership for Affordable Nonprofit Space.

During the 2005-2006 academic year, John was a Loeb Fellow within the Harvard Graduate School of Design.

Paul Mankins, FAIA, LEED AP
Paul Mankins, FAIA, LEED AP was educated at Iowa State University where he received a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture, and at Yale University where he received a Masters of Architecture. He began his career in1985 in the office of Charles Herbert & Associates – Iowa’s most celebrated design practice. Following his graduate studies he returned to Iowa in 1991 working with Herbert Lewis Kruse Blunk Architecture where he was named a Principal in 1999.
Since returning to Iowa, Paul has directed the design of projects recognized with 25 Honor and Merit Awards for design from the Central States Region, Iowa and San Francisco Chapters of the AIA. Major projects include the Meredith Corporation Expansion in Des Moines, winner of a National 2002 Honor Award for Architecture, and significant corporate projects on both coasts. In recognition of his contributions to the profession, Paul received the Design Achievement Award form Iowa State University in 1998 and the Young Architects Award from the AIA in 2003. In 2004, at the age of 40, he was elected to the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects.

Stephen Knowles, AIA
Stephen Knowles studied and practiced graphic design before returning to Iowa State University to receive a Master's degree in architecture in 1993. From 1989 to 2000 he practiced with AIA's 2001 national firm of the year recipient Herbert Lewis Kruse Blunck Architecture in Des Moines, Iowa. During this time, he produced projects that received local, regional and national AIA award recognition. His work for Praxair Distribution, Inc. and Sticks, Inc. has been highlighted in Architecture, Architectural Record, Business Week, Fortune Small Business (FSB), ID Magazine and a Watson-Guptill Publication, Extraordinary Offices. Stephen's strong support of architecture in the community includes past efforts as associate editor and editor for AIA Iowa's publication Iowa Architect magazine.
In 2000, Stephen joined Walsh Bishop, a Minneapolis-based architectural design firm founded in1984. Today, Stephen, as design principal, leads a studio dedicated to searching for cultural context and its affect upon the form of architecture. His studio generates designs that encourage a dialogue about the capacity of materials, assemblies and routines that diverge from contemporary building practices. His studio is currently focused on projects for corporate clients, the hospitality industry and large mixed-use entertainment complexes. Stephen continues to support art and design in the Twin Cities with his activities for AIA Minnesota, Walker Art Center and his efforts to curate a 2007 exhibit, highlighting new voices from the back of the napkin.

Jim Becker
09-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Mazel Tov, Mark!! That's a wonderful achievement and certainly well deserved. And thanks for letting all of us share in the experience along the way, too...that's even better than the award!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Congratulations Mark! I am not surprised, however!

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Mark
How terrific!
Just wonderful !
It looks beautiful from the photos.
Best regards
Daniel :)

Jim Dunn
09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Congrats' Mark. While it's Californified for me it's beautiful just the same. Again Congratulations.

Byron Trantham
09-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Just plain great, Mark!! You got to feel quite good having your peers recognize your efforts. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us.

Eddie Watkins
09-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Very impressive, Mark!! Congratulations.

Eddie

Jeffrey Makiel
09-09-2007, 1:00 PM
Mark...Bravo!

I recall your previous post when the project was just finished. It looked spectacular.

It must be satisfying to see that your work was recognized...as it should be. I don't think there are many architects that design a home, design the furniture AND build the furniture. Well done!

-Jeff :)

Nancy Laird
09-09-2007, 2:59 PM
Congratulations, Mark. Way to go!!

Ken Shoemaker
09-09-2007, 3:14 PM
Mark,
I marveled at your skill as you posted your tutorials. As a new woodworker I knew I was seeing great work. This award certainly it certainly affirmation of that. This award could not ave been given to a more worthy recipient. Your work, and generosity in sharing those tutorials, certainly earned it.... Well Done.

Matt Meiser
09-09-2007, 3:22 PM
Congratulations Mark! That has to be a very special honor considering just how much you put into that particular house--way above what would be typical.

John Shuk
09-09-2007, 3:22 PM
Maestro Maestro!!!!

Jamie Baalmann
09-09-2007, 4:01 PM
I don't think it is a surprise to any of us... Your work is phenomenal. Congratulations!!

Bob Childress
09-09-2007, 4:03 PM
A well-deserved honor and could not have been given to a nicer guy. Enjoy it! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Lori Kleinberg
09-09-2007, 4:07 PM
Congratulations, Mark. That is quite an honor.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Steve Roxberg
09-09-2007, 5:08 PM
Congrats on the award. I remember several of the articles and was always amazed at the quality of the work.

Jason Tuinstra
09-09-2007, 5:53 PM
Congrats! I'm glad to see your hard work is being recognized.... again :D

Mark Valsi
09-09-2007, 6:18 PM
Hey Mark,

Congrats and a lot of Kudos to you.

maybe your first name helped sway the judges <g>

Great job !!

Dan Larson
09-09-2007, 6:42 PM
Way to go Mark!!!

Dan

Jim O'Dell
09-09-2007, 8:17 PM
Congrats! Well deserved!! Jim.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-09-2007, 8:32 PM
A well deserved award. Congratulations Mark!

Richard Wolf
09-09-2007, 8:48 PM
Great work, Mark.

Richard

Larry Fox
09-09-2007, 9:49 PM
Congratulations, Mark - fantastic recognition of your outstanding work.

John Schreiber
09-09-2007, 9:54 PM
Congratulations. It's been exciting to follow along on your projects. A well deserved award.

Peter Pedisich
09-09-2007, 9:58 PM
Congratulations Mark!

Your work (in both fields) has been an inspiration to me, and I thank you for sharing both your knowledge and photos!

Pete

Zahid Naqvi
09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
That's great, the bar stools look familiar ;)

Roy Wall
09-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Congrats Mark !!!!

Very well deserved......the furniture is excellent!

Rick de Roque
09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Congrats Mark. Job well done.

Rick

Mark Singer
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful comments. To be honest with you I am not sure the jurors knew that I designed and built the furniture. It is mentioned in the description , but they have lots of projects to review in only 8 hours. I won this one for the architecture of the home and that is how it should be. I know a few architects that are woodworkers, however they are not nearly as into the craft as I have been... It is just coincidence. As most of you know I don't build furniture for clients ....this was very unusual and quite a comitment since I had to keep pace with the house over the last 9 months and that was a lot of stuff to make. So I am very pleased. It was a critical jury.

Mark Singer
09-10-2007, 12:03 AM
This is truly a great feeling to be honored here tonight. I remember the initial sketch of the Kim house and thought it is essential in its qualities of a home....."a haiku for living"
From that moment to this seems only a the blink of an eye and often the hard work of many goes forgotten and unreccognized.
So I would like to take a moment to do that.

First the design team:
Neela Katshup
Yu Ping Chang
Monica Lee
Three brilliant and talented women that really deserve a great deal of credit .

My wife , Myriam who has been a terrific sounding board for my work over the years played a large part on the interior selections

My son,Ryan, who has his own practice,and is very talented ... not a day goes by where we don't seek advice from each other

Ms. Kim the client: Great clients make for great projects here support and direction and trust was key! She even trusted me to design and build most of the furniture for the home which leads me to my final note of appreciation

My Father...built my first workbench when I was 5 years old and set me on this life long path of building and designing..... For me it was the correct path...Every award I have won makes me think of both my parents and their support....nothing in my life has seemed like work just living out the passion they instilled in me!
Thank you!

Mark Singer
09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
I wrote the project description....

Kim Residence Images (http://www.aia-awards.com/AIAOC/gallery/projDisplay1.php)DescriptionCredits (http://www.aia-awards.com/AIAOC/gallery/projDisplayCredits.php)http://www.aia-awards.com/AIAOC/genImg/clearimage.gifClient:

Ms. Kim is a single woman who imports art from Asia and other parts of the world. She wanted a quiet home with a pool to relax between trips to other countries.
Context:

The Laguna fire of 1993 swept through this area and destroyed the home on the subject property as well as all of the neighboring homes. The development pattern changed over time from smaller homes sitting on flat pads and a sloping large yard to 2 story homes with a retained lower level. The streets are only loaded from one side which allows for view corridors from each home. The homes are developed adjacent to each other on 80’ wide lots. With the constraints of a 14’ height limit (from the upper street) this design followed the newer approach of excavating to develop a two story program.
Cost:

Withheld at client’s request.
Design Approach:

The adjacent homes suggested walls with few windows to create privacy within. The solid nature of the side walls “bookend” the interior space. One end is a core of exposed sandblasted masonry containing the powder room, storage and fireplaces on both levels. The street and view facing walls are of a different character utilizing floor to ceiling glass to unite living space to the patio and deck. The garage door is integrated seamlessly into a panel of redwood siding, muting its presence. A linear roof overhang floats over the masonry columns, creating a filter from the street and homes above. Electric shades and bamboo further enhance the privacy of the home. On the upper level, the master bedroom is separated by a glass partition allowing the light from a central kallwall skylight to permeate. This design is well suited to both the property and the climate. Natural ventilation and day lighting provide a “green” environment that utilizes nature in a sensitive way. The use of the masonry abutting adjacent structures recognizes the potential of fire and also acts as a solar mass to capture and retain heat gained from the winter sun.
The stairway is used to define the entry path, and then drops to a family room below. On the lower level two additional bedrooms share the integral colonnade of masonry columns and covered shade structure. The pool enjoys direct sunlight at 9:00AM in the early summer due to the terracing of the upper level of the house.
The architect designed and built most of the furniture in the home at the client’s request. This includes wenge dining table and chairs, coffee table, 3 beds and side tables, bar stools, cabinets, sofa and other pieces.

The home creates a bit of a dichotomy: it feels modern and yet old, it seems open and transparent and yet instills a feeling of silence that is difficult to explain for this setting. Once inside, all questions seem distant. The house speaks of the now; of this day and this moment in a clearly defined language of simple parts …..… a haiku for living.
http://www.aia-awards.com/AIAOC/genImg/clearimage.gifhttp://www.aia-awards.com/AIAOC/genImg/clearimage.gifhttp://www.aia-awards.com/AIAOC/genImg/clearimage.gifhttp://www.aia-awards.com/AIAOC/genImg/clearimage.gif

Craig Thompson
09-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Way to go... There is a great big tally mark for the old Chalk Board ....
No doubt it will be a 'job getter'. Much deserved award. Congrats

Cary Swoveland
09-10-2007, 1:55 AM
Congratulations, Mark. The recognition is well-deserved. I'm envious of your ability to create lasting structures and furnishings of such great beauty. Your work is truly inspirational.

Cary

Dan Forman
09-10-2007, 2:01 AM
Congrat's Mark, a lovely home indeed.

Dan

Stephen Stokes
09-10-2007, 6:50 AM
Well deserved recognition!

Stokes

Don Bullock
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Congratulations Mark!!!!! I'm, however, not surprised. That is definately a beautifuly designed house and the furniture you made for it is "first class" in both design and craftsmanship.

Dan Mages
09-10-2007, 9:15 PM
Mazel Tov Mark!! It is well deserved as the house is just too cool for words. Who knows, maybe they saw your name attached to the house and just conceded the award to you. :rolleyes:

Dan

Steve Wargo
09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Congrats Mike. Very deserving. I love the house, and your tutorials. Glad to see that your work is still recognized as the cream of the crop. Beautiful.

Lou Morrissette
09-11-2007, 4:30 PM
Congrats Mark. Indeed, the award is very much deserved.

Lou

Glenn Clabo
09-11-2007, 5:51 PM
Yawn;) ...another award;) ...how boring, eh;) ?

Doesn't surprise me...you are the best Left Coast Architect in this area of consideration...and most importantly...you clearly love what you do.

Now...everyone think about that...

(p.s....time for another beer/wine exchange? :D )

Scot Ferraro
09-11-2007, 8:41 PM
Congrats, Mark -- way to go and well deserved. Thanks for sharing with everyone!

Scot

Allen Grimes
09-11-2007, 8:45 PM
Wow, thats great Mark, I know we haven't talked much, but I've always admired your work, whether woodworking or architecture. Very very cool. Congrats.