PDA

View Full Version : PRL table mounting question.

Jim O'Dell
09-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Anyone here have the PRL of Unilift from Woodpecker? I'm looking to see how wide the lip is in the table top for the plate to sit on. I'm going to make mine 3/4", then cut out, if need be, for the plate mechanism to fit. But if that is too big, it would be nice to know before I start, then have to modify after the ledge is cut. Thanks! Jim.

Chuck Lenz
09-08-2007, 11:04 PM
I think it's 5/8" Jim. Woodpeckers sells a MDF insert template and a 5/8" template router bit for the installation of their router plates.

Jim O'Dell
09-08-2007, 11:12 PM
It's a router lift from Woodpecker. 71518 Stands for Precision Router Lift. The Unilift is very similar...better in some ways,(I like the multi posts better) but it's not made for the PC 7518 router I have for the table. Sorry I didn't specify what it was. I take it you don't have an answer for my question? :D Jim.

Dick Bringhurst
09-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Mine is 3/4". I also lined that ledge with 3/4" steel strap because the leveling screws were a little pointed and would sink into the MDF I used for the table top substrate. Been in 5 years now with no problems. Dick B.

Chuck Lenz
09-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah I think I had the answer, just a bit slow tonight. I bought a Woodpeckers cast aluminum plate, ring set, the template and the template router bit this summer but I'm in the same boat as you, haven't got to building a table yet.

Chuck Lenz
09-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Good point Dick, I'm thinking about doing the same with the ledge, either steel or formica.

Brent Grooms
09-09-2007, 7:28 AM
I have this lift and one of their tops... what they use is small flat head wood screws into the mdf under the leveling units... alot easier than dealing with strap material.

Jim O'Dell
09-09-2007, 9:24 AM
Brent and Dick...good points about the levelling screws. I have been contemplating whether I should route the opening before I laminate, or after. If I do it before, I will be the thickness of the laminate too deep, and would need to put laminate on the lip. Sounds like that might not be a bad thing to do. The screws might be easier, and could be added in later if need be. Hmmmm........ Thanks!! Jim.

Byron Trantham
09-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Brent and Dick...good points about the levelling screws. I have been contemplating whether I should route the opening before I laminate, or after. If I do it before, I will be the thickness of the laminate too deep, and would need to put laminate on the lip. Sounds like that might not be a bad thing to do. The screws might be easier, and could be added in later if need be. Hmmmm........ Thanks!! Jim.

Jim, I have the PRL mounted on laminate covered MDF (two 3/4" pieces laminated together). I bought the template and glad I did. I just went out to the shop and measured the lip; it's 5/8". You are going this thing. It's heavy to lift out for oiling but that's the point. Interestingly enough I just looked at the plate surface relative to the table top and it was out a bit. As was already stated, there were little dimples in the MDF lip where the leveling screws contact. The idea of putting in a couple flat head screws as a contact point is a good one. Enjoy!:D Oh, I forgot to mention, I cut my hole AFTER I did all the laminations.