PDA

View Full Version : Had a close call today....

Chuck Wintle
09-08-2007, 8:20 PM
Nicked the end of thumb pretty good on my table saw. It's funny because I am not a novice at using one either. All it took was to be distracted by other thoughts and "wham" into the saw blade went my thumb. On the lucky side it did not touch the bone. I learned a good lesson learned today: PAY ATTENTION at all times. :eek:

Stephen Beckham
09-08-2007, 9:20 PM
Charles glad you lost more pride than flesh... I clipped the end of my finger pad a couple months back doing the same old same old sharpening. Looked away and sliced away. I was sharpening Guillitiene blades for my partner. Never thought I could get such a clean cut. Of course - I never questioned why these blades slice through solid oak like butter... Now I shiver each time I touch one - still gives me goose bumps (done about 30-40 blades total - I'm back up to four since last slice - Osha is watching;) )

Point taken about being a novice versus rookie. We tend to relax more when we are "in-the-zone." Take care.

Bill Zollinger
09-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm glad you're alright. Does any one use a Sawstop saw?

Jared Cuneo
09-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Charles, glad to hear it wasn't too serious. Could you provide us with some details such as what operation you were performing, any safety equipment in use, and methods of prevention?

Thanks!!!

JC

Don Bullock
09-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Charles, I'm glad to hear that your cut was rater minor. That's one of my biggest "fears" working in the shop. I've made it a point to never use my power tools unless I'm well rested and have nothing else, but what I'm doing on my mind. It's far too easy to get distracted by other thoughts like you did. Thanks for safety the reminder.

... Does any one use a Sawstop saw?

Yes, there are a few of us on here that have them, but they still have to be used safely. One can't depend on the saw to make them safe. I always use a guard/riving knife unless I'm doing a cut where it can't be used like the cuts I'm currently doing with a tenion jig. Fortunately the blade guard is easy to rempve and replace. My feeling is that's there's no such thing as "too safe" when it comes to my power tools.

Chuck Wintle
09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Charles, glad to hear it wasn't too serious. Could you provide us with some details such as what operation you were performing, any safety equipment in use, and methods of prevention?

Thanks!!!

JC

I was performing a few test cuts after installing a new blade. The biggest problem was not paying attention to what I was doing as there were other things on my mind at the time. I am not a novice at using the table saw and should have been more careful. The cut did require a trip to the hospital for stiches and a tetanus shot. I experienced what it was like to go into shock. Everything started spinning around me and I felt like being sick to my stomach. I had to lie down to let that pass. My kids phoned 911 and the medics arrived within a minute which was great. I was all bandaged up for the trip to the hospital in an ambulance. That is were things bogged down. I spent 5 hours waiting to see a doctor and whn I finall did I was out in 15 minutes. The waiting was worse than the cut.
From now on I will use push sticks only and won't operate machinery when not in the right frame of mind. :o

Brian Weick
09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Charles -glad you are alright- I always keep my eyes posted on what I am working on - machinery law 101 to me. I also use push sticks to slide my material through as well ,on my TS, as to not get my hands near that blade~ My hands are my livelihood- safety!
Glad you didn't loose any extremities.
Brian

Larry Fox
09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Charles, I am glad to hear that yout injury was not more serious. Thaks also for the safety reminder.

Heal quickly!!!

John Schreiber
09-10-2007, 11:36 AM
. . . and won't operate machinery when not in the right frame of mind. :o
I think that is the key, but it is hard to follow when our lives are as complex as they are.

Mike Heidrick
09-10-2007, 2:44 PM
I'm glad you're alright. Does any one use a Sawstop saw?

Glad you are not seriously hurt Bill.

I do use a sawstop. It is an awesome saw IMO. I still am very very careful using ALL my saws/tools though. I do like the quality of my sawstop though compared to my previous Delta Hybrid (36-752 original hybrid).

Lori Kleinberg
09-10-2007, 4:15 PM
Glad it wasn't more serious.

Ray Bersch
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
....and thanks for not posting pictures - I'll take your word for it. - Oooh that hurts just thinking about it.