PDA

View Full Version : The death of a diving board..a turning soap opera

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2007, 8:14 PM
(Jet VS Mini temporary bench) "Why are you even thinking of dumping me?" she whispered in my ear (my deaf ear) "I've served you well" pounded in my brain. "Nobody would have served you as well as I have" "I've performed well at everything you've asked of me" she said in a husky voice (2x12s have husky voices) "Look at my beautiful strong legs" she said. (Little Giant Ladder system halves at each end of the 2x12) "After all I've done for you I deserve to be treated better than this!" she wailed. "I suppose you're dumping me for a younger prettier woman" she cried. (Yup...a new bigger mustard that can stand on it's own two legs)...."No.....No!.....No!" she pleaded as the last of the tools were removed from her body and the dust was blown off...........

As I moved her from her 18 month resting spot she got one more jab in.....and poked a hole in the sheet rock in the ceiling!:(

Now she's stacked with all the rest of the remnants left over by the contractor when he built the shop!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Jim Becker
09-08-2007, 9:32 PM
Well, at least she's stacked...:eek:

Joe Mioux
09-08-2007, 9:36 PM
She needs to find a new home with a owner who will appreciate her, Ken.

Steve Schlumpf
09-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Ken - I hope your lathe and bandsaw show up REAL soon - your conversations are starting to worry me!!!

Looking forward to the pics!

sascha gast
09-09-2007, 2:59 AM
whatever Ken is having.........i'd like some of that, too:D

Karl Laustrup
09-09-2007, 6:28 AM
I'm reading words here, but I don't SEE anything.

Karl

Christopher K. Hartley
09-09-2007, 6:43 AM
I'm reading words here, but I don't SEE anything.

KarlYou too Karl? I thought it was just my eyes getting old.:cool: You'd have thought he'd have learned by now.:D

Harvey M. Taylor
09-09-2007, 7:14 AM
Hey, Ken, dont retire the diving board and ladder just yet. Put it behind you and put turning tools, faceplates, chucks, finishing bottles, tubes,cans, face shield,extra turning blanks, buffing systems, the mini-lathe[is it sagging yet?. after all it is a flat surface, isnt it? Just a thought or two. Max

Bob Hallowell
09-09-2007, 7:52 AM
whatever Ken is having.........i'd like some of that, too:D

MOXIE, I think Andy gave it to him.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2007, 9:53 AM
Ken you better make sure you stacked it some place out of site and out of mind. She could jump out and trip you as you walk by.:eek::rolleyes::cool:;) Oh wait that could be the moxie doing that.:eek::D

Gary Garmar
09-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Ken; is your splinter injury completely healed? Seems you might still be a little toxic from the infection. At least it could provide a good excuse for all the extra purchases you MIGHT make in the immediate future. Its that or either you read to many pocket novels.

Scott Donley
09-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Ken, all I can say is-----Scott, sitting here in Washington, just shaking his head :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I'll post some pictures later today. I worked until 9:30 last night. Moving and cleaning. I only had 3 35 gallon trash bags of shavings to sweep up. I moved most of the "stuff" to the east half of the shop and then I did some caulking on the plywood walls. I have 1 gallon of PVA primer that I bought some time ago. I'll see how far that gallon goes and then off to the BORG to buy more, probably in 5 gallons cans. I'll probably buy some regular latex paint too. If I can get the west half primed tomorrow evening I'll start putting the final coats on.

Andy Hoyt
09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Well it's about dang time ya finished that shop.

But what I find most disturbing is how clueless you were waaaaay back when it all began.

Giving away spin wood! Sheesh! The gall! The arrogance! The ignorance! (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8904)

This Andy in Maine......... in the airplane crash position ........... shaking his head.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2007, 11:53 AM
MOXIE, I think Andy gave it to him.

Bob

It wasn't Moxie.......Andy ain't speaking to me since he found out I joined the Mustard Revolution!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Well it's about dang time ya finished that shop.

But what I find most disturbing is how clueless you were waaaaay back when it all began.

Giving away spin wood! Sheesh! The gall! The arrogance! The ignorance! (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8904)

This Andy in Maine......... in the airplane crash position ........... shaking his head.

Yeah.....I was totally clueless. Made the mistake of trying to be civil with a bunch of degenerates that hang out here in the turner's forum. Next thing I know the idiots shoved me into the Vortex. If it hadn't been for the Mustard, I'd probably have to buy a new Little Giant Ladder to paint the house in 4 or 5 years.

Nancy Laird
09-09-2007, 9:31 PM
So, Ken, how's the shop coming along? Progress report is due.

Nancy (103 days)

Dennis Peacock
09-09-2007, 10:53 PM
So, Ken, how's the shop coming along? Progress report is due.

Nancy (103 days)

Get him Nancy!!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Well.....Let's see...

Most everything has been moved over to the east half of the shop. I'd move some of this to the patio but we're getting ready to host 20-30 people for a cookout following a day-long jet boat trip into Hell's Canyon and Sharon will kill if I make a mess outside of my shop. I got all the caulking done on the plywood walls, swept and shoveled about 110 gallons of shavings and bagged them. Cased and trimmed 2 of the three windows. Was going to start priming tonight but realized I didn't have all the supplies I needed. I'll probably put tools away in the shed (table saw etc) then go ahead and trim out the third window and call it a night. With a little luck if things go right at work, I'll pickup what I need to paint and start priming tomorrow night after work.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2007, 8:58 PM
The west half of the ceiling is primed. The walls, outlets and corners are cut in.......

More to follow later.

Joe Mioux
09-10-2007, 9:08 PM
Are there pictures of the progress, Ken?

PICS!!!!! :)

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2007, 9:43 PM
Are you doubting my honesty MR. MIOUX?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Photos to follow later tonight......I want to get another wall painted.....

David Duke
09-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Can't really blame Joe for questioning you Ken, after all this is the turning forum and any discussion about flatwork must be verified as pertaining to the spinny world or else it is pure heresy.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Okay.....How about a sea story.......I just ran out of paint. I put on 3 gallons of primer on 1/2 the ceiling and over half of the walls. Now this is a no ....uh....well......I took my wifes Nikon out there and when I took the lens cap off, the lens immediately fogged over....I kid you not. I'll take some photos in the morning when the tempature in there has cooled down a bit. The only lighting I have is 2 500 watt halogen construction lights on a stand. Yup....that's what I've been turning with for the last 18 months...A diving board with construction lights.......The heat in there is tremendous and I've been sweating fiercely....Photos in the morning.....I can't believe how much brighter it is in there with the ceiling and walls primed with white paint.......And then there's the 11 8' 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures and 2 boxes of bulbs sitting there gathering dust all this time. What was I thinking? How did I let this happen......:confused:

Brian Weick
09-11-2007, 12:43 AM
(Jet VS Mini temporary bench) "Why are you even thinking of dumping me?" she whispered in my ear (my deaf ear) "I've served you well" pounded in my brain. "Nobody would have served you as well as I have" "I've performed well at everything you've asked of me" she said in a husky voice (2x12s have husky voices) "Look at my beautiful strong legs" she said. (Little Giant Ladder system halves at each end of the 2x12) "After all I've done for you I deserve to be treated better than this!" she wailed. "I suppose you're dumping me for a younger prettier woman" she cried. (Yup...a new bigger mustard that can stand on it's own two legs)...."No.....No!.....No!" she pleaded as the last of the tools were removed from her body and the dust was blown off...........

As I moved her from her 18 month resting spot she got one more jab in.....and poked a hole in the sheet rock in the ceiling!:(

Now she's stacked with all the rest of the remnants left over by the contractor when he built the shop!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Well,Well- Look what I found~ Bourbon, whiskey- (interuption) correction-"scotch" continued~~~ Oh my god ~ The word's - your killing me Ken! and you think I'm bad with the my stories- you top the cake buddy and,,,,,,and ~ your putting frosting on it too boot ~ WOW ???????? - I think that is absolutely hilarious and your writing-absolutely creative,and clever-that's great ken! I'm telling you ken- it's a gift! ! You see ,I'm not alone Ken! :D oh my god, that's scary! seriously~ I love the way you animated your tools and their personalities with words - you out verbalized me on this one! Great job-Seriously- Kudos Ken! But beware Ken there are more "Tool 's From The Crypt" episodes coming :eek: all I can say is WOW~ !!!!!!!!!! That's Great! :D
Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2007, 1:56 AM
Can't really blame Joe for questioning you Ken, after all this is the turning forum and any discussion about flatwork must be verified as pertaining to the spinny world or else it is pure heresy.

Ah but David.....I'm making a home befitting a beautiful blonde with the following figure measurements 35 20 B......and thus it's turning related!

Besides....18 months ago I was about a week from completing that shop when the inmates here in the turning forum decided they could shove me into the Vortex! All I did was tease a little during an itty bitty contest they were having. Little did I know who or what I was teasing with......Well they gave me the Bomb (Jet VS Mini) some tools, videos, some wood...and it's cost me plenty. Prior to ordering the PM 3520B I had spent at least 3 times what they donated to me. Now with the PM...uh...let's see .......that's about 600% interest they gleaned from my billfold for turning related "things". I'd say they've gotten even with me for teasing them!............Of course, I've found a new passion but I want the shop finished and fitting for some serious turning and dare I say it...there's that f word too!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Well.......after my integrity taking a beating...here's photographic evidence......BTW.....the last photo.....it really did fog the lens in there last night.....

What a mess!

Here's what it looks like after 1 coat of primer....much brighter

It really did fog the lens last night.....

Jeffrey Fusaro
09-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Well.....Let's see...

I'd move some of this to the patio but we're getting ready to host 20-30 people for a cookout following a day-long jet boat trip into Hell's Canyon and Sharon will kill if I make a mess outside of my shop.

assuming that 10-15 of those guests will be of the male persuasion, you could have some male bonding time consuming moxie and swinging paint brushes.

that'll git'er done quick! ;)

Jeff Bower
09-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Ken, it was pretty dark in there with the diving board:eek: But I guess if you can see the thing spinning, why do you need to see anything else?

Great update to the shop! After paint I guess you need to dust off the new lights?

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2007, 10:42 AM
OMG!!!! It's Trrruuuuuuuueeeee!!!!!!

The diving board is dead!!!
The lathe is unplugged!!!!
The shop has real paint on it's walls!!!!!

What is this world coming to? http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/staff_muttley.gif

All I gotta say is this Ken.....CONGRATS on the Progress and can't wait to see it all done and some new machines to decorate it's floorspace.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/dancing_banana.gifhttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/dancing_banana.gifhttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/dancing_banana.gifhttp://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/dancing_banana.gif

Nancy Laird
09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow, Ken. Isn't a marvel what a little paint can do? That first picture with no paint makes your "shop" look sorta like a cave - or Stu's dungeon? Looks a lot better already. So where's the PM gonna go?

Nancy (101 days)

Karl Laustrup
09-11-2007, 3:03 PM
This is Karl.........in the Dells..........looking down..........saying.........will wonders never cease...............and...............

HALLELUJAH!!

Looking good Ken. Wasn't sure if I was going to live to see the day though. ;) :)

Karl

Art Mulder
09-11-2007, 3:09 PM
Well.......after my integrity taking a beating...here's photographic evidence.....

one.. two.. three.. four..

Hmm, Gee Ken, I thought that one step ladder was enough. ;)

Tyler Howell
09-11-2007, 6:02 PM
It's about time!!!!!:D

Keep up the good work.;)

Bill Wyko
09-11-2007, 6:53 PM
I'm just wonderin' were you smokin somethin or drink somthin':D Actually I got a kick out of this. I think my JET mini is echoing the same saga.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Well the corpse was still in the shop when the new replacement arrived. A tree trimmer showed up about 6:30 this morning and parked his lift truck in the drive going to my shop. He proceeded to trim the limbs on my neighbors maple tree that shades my shop. I talked with him and he said he'd move his truck when the lathe delivered. About 930 or so, the co-owners, husband and wife of the Spokane Woodcraft Store showed up with a very nice low riding trailer and the PM 3520B. I showed him where it was going and the tree trimmer was yelling at me from way up in the maple tree next door...he'd move his truck...I waved him off. They backed the trailer onto my carport and unloaded the lathe in its carton using a pallet jack. My oldest son, myself , a couple of the guys who work for the tree trimmer got plywood from my shop and from the tree trimmers truck and we made a plywood highway from my carport across the backyard and a ramp through the insulated garage door leading into the shop. 5 minutes later "Melba" was at home.

Here's proof for all you doubters....and you'll notice my oldest son and I hung the first two of 11 8' fluorescent fixtures. Those $600+ lights and fixtures have been gathering dust for 18 months.....Turners..........

Ed Scolforo
09-20-2007, 5:57 AM
Congrats, Ken. You're a lucky guy!

Patrick Taylor
09-20-2007, 6:03 AM
Sweet! Now unbox it! :D

Tony De Masi
09-20-2007, 7:20 AM
Congrats Ken. Now get to work and start her spinning.

Tony

Jim Becker
09-20-2007, 8:58 AM
CONGRATULATIONS, Ken!!! Whoda thunk a little forced vortex induction would have resulted in this just a couple years back... :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2007, 9:08 AM
The sad part is it'll be 3 or more weeks before I'll be able to use either one. I have a long day planned on a CT scanner today. Tomorrow morning, early, Sharon and I fly out to southern Illinois for my 40th HS reunion. We get back late Monday evening. Next week is month end, quarter end and I have a lot of work stacking up. Friday of next week, 24 people, coworkers and families, are descending on Lewiston. Saturday, we take a day long jet boat tour of Hell's Canyon on the Snake River, followed by a cookout that evening at our home. Sunday...I'll be wasted. So, it'll be a couple of weeks before I get back into the shop. Then move all the "stuff" over to the west side and paint the east half. Get the new lights installed and then order from Onieda.

I hope to be turning again by mid-October.

I will show some self discipline this time...I will show some self discipline this time........I hope I can show some self disicpline this time...:o

Brian Weick
09-20-2007, 9:19 AM
Hi Ken,
You know- that shop of yours is really going to be great when your done,I will have to get mine looking better after seeing what you have done. on a side note ~ not to bring up my prior thread, but I again I see a craftsman working in a squaller type environment with all those boxes and tall crates in his way - I can rectify that situation for you if you'd like- I,ll take those boxes and crates write out of your shop for you - no charge! That way you'll have more room to do,,,, well - what do ya think?, by the way - I thought you got a mustard- that looks more like a tan color- have they changed their color and design recently? I don't see the usual headstock or tail stock designs-it's rather a square design ~ let alone no mounting holes, and they forgot to cut out the middle on that bed for the tail stock ~ all I see is the large tan bed (defective by the way - someone forgot to finish the machining) and it really doesn't resemble any of the mustards I have seen- did they forget to put legs on it or is that their new kneeling lathe design ????????Just a thought~ maybe the lathe is actually INSIDE THE BOX,AND NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OUT SO WE CAN ALL SEE IT!!!! just a suggestion Ken :D LOL WTG!
Yours Truly,
Brian

Mike Ramsey
09-20-2007, 9:47 AM
CONGRATULATIONS KEN!!!!! I think your diving board should be inducted
into the "WOODTURNERS HALL OF FAME"!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi Ken,
I again I see a craftsman working in a squaller type environment with all those boxes and tall crates in his way - I can rectify that situation for you if you'd like- I,ll take those boxes and crates write out of your shop for you - no charge! That way you'll have more room to do,,,, well - what do ya think?,
Brian

Brian....It seems to me that New York to Idaho is a long way to drive just to haul the boxes and the tall crates out of my shop! We have trash pickup here in Lewiston and a couple of public and private dump sites. Save your gas.....that alone will pay for the new tools!:D

Because of previously planned events, it'll be a couple of weeks before either one of those tools see the lights in my shop. I have to finish painting and get those lights up.....DUH! If I can stand the wait you'll just have to wait also. If you have any problems with this let me know....If you PM me with the name and phone number of your psych...er doctor...I'll let him know that your prescription for librium has run out.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
CONGRATULATIONS KEN!!!!! I think your diving board should be inducted
into the "WOODTURNERS HALL OF FAME"!!!

Mike.....Just look at that diving board...and the new Mustard as a testimony to all those who chose to "gift"....(I won't use the "B" word) me last year. I was 7 days from finishing that shop 18 months ago....2 weeks ago I was only 6 days and 7.5 hours away....

I really want that shop finished and totally cleaned out. Then on with some serious woodworking!

Brian Weick
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Darn,
I've been able to hide that for a long time now, but you're to intelligent to pull that over your eyes, your write - I'm all out! Suffering:( !
Seriously Ken-$600 for the lighting- /11 that's roughly $55.00 per light string- those are the 8' lights you have? Ken- where did you get them? I have to re-do my lighting in the shop as well- that's a great price! - can you tell me where you got them from? -------please:)
Thanks Ken,
Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Brian....I bought an article about lighting from FWW. It was written by a Creeker who is a retired lighting engineer. He describes how to calculate how much lighting you need based on age....you need twice as much if you are over 40...and I am......He also tells you what to look for as far as ballasts, bulbs....color...etc....I bought the bulbs and the fixtures with the quietest solid state ballasts at my local HD. The fixtures were around $34 IIRC...I bought the bulbs there too by the case....it's much cheaper by the case but there are other places on the net where you can find the bulbs cheaper.

Brian Weick
09-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks Ken,
Do you have a URL to that article pertaining to light calculation estimating or any information on how to calculate how much light you need- did I just say the same thing twice, only in reverse-:eek: LOL. I am definitely lacking in this area. :(
Thanks Ken,
Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Brian....The article was "Lighting for the workshop" by Jack L. Lindsey in the January/February edition of Fine Wood Working magazine. Jack is a member here. It tells you how to calculate how much light you need and how to space the lights.....differences in ballasts......bulbs......etc. Very well written.

Brian Weick
09-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Brian....The article was "Lighting for the workshop" by Jack L. Lindsey in the January/February edition of Fine Wood Working magazine. Jack is a member here. It tells you how to calculate how much light you need and how to space the lights.....differences in ballasts......bulbs......etc. Very well written.

thanks Ken - I'll look into that -ohhhh, theres a knock at my door , sorry to cut this thread short - its my meds - gota go! :D