PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Houston

Chris Foley
09-08-2007, 6:48 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am wondering if anyone out there might know of a woodworking coop in the Houston area? I travel a good bit for work and have had to move into an apartment. That does not leave me any room for my woodworking fun!

Thanks,
Chris

Dennis Peacock
09-08-2007, 7:51 PM
Welcome to SMC Chris.

There's lot's of woodworkers in your general area and I'd be real surprised if someone close by couldn't point you in the right direction. :D

Chris Foley
09-09-2007, 4:24 PM
Thanks Dennis!:)

Chris Foley
09-10-2007, 9:42 PM
Hmmm...I was afraid of that. I spent a good amount of time searching the web and found nada. How about a votech school where I could "take" a class (which really means "I will pay them to let me use their shop!")

Todd Willhoit
09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Google Woodworker's Club of Houston. One of the members may know of shop space for rent.

Good luck.

Todd

David Duke
09-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Which side of town are you on Chris?

Chris Foley
09-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I am in NW Houston now. However, I am moving next month down towards Clearlake. I will still work out near Katy however.

David Duke
09-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't know of any coop for shop time but you may check with Woodcraft or Rockler they may be able to help you out. I was going to offer you a chance to get in a little time at my place but I'm afraid that I'm probably too far from you (about 30 minutes north of IAH on Hwy 59).

Chris Foley
09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
David,

Thanks for the offer! lol I would definately not want to put anyone out. This is the one aspect of apartment living that sucks. I travel overseas several months out of the year which makes keeping up a permanent residence a bit rough. I will check with the guys at Rockler (been dying to visit the store since I stumble onto their website!!)

David Duke
09-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Don't know exactly where you are but if your on the NW side of town Woodcraft is on 290 at Hollister (just inside the SH tollway). Another option could be (and I shudder to say it; if you haven't visited the turners forum be careful strange things going on over there;) something about the vortex or is it the abyss) is to get a mini lathe, I know there are several turners who are living in an apartments, or possibly even scroll work.

joe greiner
09-11-2007, 7:59 AM
Your idea of taking a course at votech isn't so far-fetched. I worked with a fellow in Long Beach CA who was in a similar situation lodging-wise. He utilized the local community college. After taking an initial course to establish safety, etc., the instructor was familiar with his workmanship. Subsequently, whenever he had a project, he signed up for the same course (more or less), and the instructor let him have free use of the shop (subject to educational demands, of course). Working from about 25-year-old memory here, so some of the details might be off.

Joe

Chris Foley
09-11-2007, 8:00 AM
I know absolutely NOTHING about turning (although I would love it I am sure). I really like furniture but I have not made anything other than a drafting table, a gun rack and a few other odds and ends. I really enjoy nice woodwork with clean lines and beautiful joins. This is my problem! I want to do much more than I have the tools and space for!

Chris Foley
09-11-2007, 8:02 AM
Thanks for the input Joe. I have googled around but have yet to find anything other than a local high school. I think I will take David's advise and talk to the folks at Rockler this weekend as a backup.

Greg Crawford
09-11-2007, 8:43 AM
There's also The Cutting Edge on Beltway 8 around the SW Freeway.

I'm not much closer than David, right at the North end of the Hardy Toll Road, just South of the Woodlands. You're welcome to come over and use anything that's not being used on a job. TS, CMS, DP, band saw, planer, jointer, Performax 12/32, nice router table, mini-lathe, hand sanders, hand planes, hand saws, etc.

Chuck Lenz
09-11-2007, 9:01 AM
I know you guys are just trying to help a guy out and I hate to bring this up, but, there is no way I'd ever let a stranger have his way with my shop, especially when I don't know what his skill level and safety record is. Infact, I don't even let my friends run my equipment. You could be exposeing yourselves to a lawsuit if the guy gets hurt in your shop.

Chris Foley
09-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Chuck,

That is precisely why I would not intrude on anyone else's shop like that unless I knew them very well. It works both sides as well. While I really appreciate the offers (as it means alot) I also do not know them or how well the equipment is maintained (not that I expect anyone here to have such things!). This was the reason for looking for a coop environment. That way, an interview would be required for both parties.