PDA

View Full Version : glue question

tom chapman
09-08-2007, 3:56 PM
i am glueing up a 4'x8' table top . i will do it in 3 sections then glue them together . however , the wood is hickory and given what i have read about glueing it i dont know what type of glue to use or if i should use an epoxy . any help would be great !

thanks
tom

Brian Jarnell
09-08-2007, 5:42 PM
From the horse's mouth......

http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductIntroTB.asp

Jude Kingery
09-08-2007, 7:44 PM
Ditto on Titebond - has worked extremely well for me for years! Jude

Dennis Peacock
09-08-2007, 7:50 PM
DAP Plastic Resin glue....and avoid glue creep. I built a large kitchen table with Titebond II and 2 years later, I'm still getting glue creep. With plastic resin? No glue creep.

Dwain Lambrigger
09-09-2007, 12:00 AM
What is glue creek? Just curious. I built a couple of small table tops last year and used titebond II (the waterproof one) and was very happy with the results. If have read that it is the best overall glue as well. Besides, short if elmers, it is really pretty cheap. If you clamp properly, you should have no problems.

Gary Keedwell
09-09-2007, 12:53 AM
What is glue creek? Just curious. I built a couple of small table tops last year and used titebond II (the waterproof one) and was very happy with the results. If have read that it is the best overall glue as well. Besides, short if elmers, it is really pretty cheap. If you clamp properly, you should have no problems.
Glue creek is south of the glue factory.:eek: :D Sorry couldn't resist.:cool:

Glue creep is when the parts that are glued, will gradually move a little. With the plastic resin, it sets harder, therefore more stable. Disclaimer: I have never seen it but have read about it on forums like this.:)
Gary K.

David George
09-09-2007, 8:58 AM
As Dennis stated, Dap's "Weldwood" plastic resin glue is what I see furniture builders using. Been around for a long time. Always consistent.
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=42

Here's a link to Daps web site on Weldwood.

Steve Clardy
09-09-2007, 8:23 PM
Titebond Original is all I use;)

Jim Kountz
09-09-2007, 8:45 PM
Same here Steve good ol Titebond is hard to beat. That being said, I know of some very prominent cabinetmakers near me in Berryville, VA who use nothing more than regular WHITE glue for all their furniture. With their rep on the line and the clientele they have if it’s good enough for them it’s good enough for me!

Brian Jarnell
09-10-2007, 2:36 AM
If by chance you see a small island going past you all in the USA,it's probably due to glue creep as 90% of funiture makers here in NZ use Titebond.

David George
09-10-2007, 9:58 AM
TiteBond also has there #3 glue which they term "Ultimate wood glue" for exterior applications (water-proof) that many of you may already use.

Lee Schierer
09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I made a pedestal bed frame, and two dressers form hickory about 25 years ago. I used elmers carpenters wood glue and not one joint has failed. I did have one desig error that caused the side panels to split in dry weather, but the wood broke in the middle of a board. All the joints held just fine. No special preparation was needed for the glue joints. In fact, they were just ripped edges as I didn't have a jointer back then. There is no noticeable glue creep that I've seen.

Jerry Olexa
09-10-2007, 1:10 PM
I vote for Titebond also ll or lll...