PDA

View Full Version : "Critique Requested" Rustic Lidded Box (new pics)

Christopher K. Hartley
09-08-2007, 3:19 PM
Base to Finial Peak 9 1/2 "; Base length 5"; Box 3" diameter. Spalted Red Tip Photinia for box and base. BLO and Buffed Box and Base.
The Box - I did this sometime back and wanted to finish it. In person the lines in the box look fine but the photo makes them look unfinished to me. Red tip is funny it looks rough inside but it is very smooth.
The Base - Part of a Red Tip branch with the bark stripped away and cleaned but otherwise natural. I cut the ends bnd bottom finished with a coat of BLO and buffed, but other than that nothing. Going for a rustic look.
The Finial - I thought the contrast of Deer Antler might give it a little something but now I'm not so sure.

I'm not married to any of this so no one will hurt my feelings, on the contrary, if all I get is fluff it won't help me improve this concept. I really am counting on your honesty. If I need to I'll scrap the idea. Thanks:)

Jon Lanier
09-08-2007, 3:42 PM
I really like the concept. I would like better pictures :o
I like everything but the Finial the contrast is way to much. I would have just kept the wood all the same. Did I say I like the concept? ;)

Tom Sherman
09-08-2007, 3:48 PM
Chris I really like this box. The wood is spectacular I think the lines of the box are fine. The finial I feel is a bit heavy, I agree that the contrast of the antler works well but would like to see the shape a little more delicate. Overall an excellent effort.

Keith Cope
09-08-2007, 3:51 PM
I too like the idea; I agree with Jon that the contrast may be a bit strong. Might be interesting to try the same concept with a bit of a chunkier/less refined form for the box itself.

Mike A. Smith
09-08-2007, 4:27 PM
I love and I mean LOVE the box! The wood looks like really cool and IMHO the form is wonderful. I'd like to hold this one in my hands.

I'm not sure about the finial either, but I don't think it's the color so much as the texture that bothers me. I know that antler should match the rustic look you're going for, but in the pictures it looks more like ivory and kind of clashes with the rest of the piece (it may match better in person). That being said, I don't have a good suggestion. I don't think ebony would work, but I can't picture something lighter either.

Can't decide about the base. It looks good and I like the concept, but something seems off. I'm not a stickler for symmetry, but maybe something short on the other end for more balance? Maybe a rest for the lid when it's off or something...?

You asked, so I was as picky as I could be, but I feel funny offering critism Chris. All of your stuff is head and shoulders above any of mine.

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2007, 5:35 PM
Chris absoulutely love the box. The finial I would have did a bit different. It does overpower it but I think it is because it is the same diameter from bottom to top at least as I see it. I would have left the base as is but tapered it from bottom to top so the top would be maybe a 1/4" long and maybe 1/8 to 3/16" thick. I think with a thinner more delicate finial it would be just fine. I would have also slimmed down the base with the same features but that is just me Chris. Just my $1.298 Chris.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-08-2007, 5:50 PM
Thanks for the help guys, here are some new pics as requested. The comments about the finial are very helpful and something I think I can change pretty quick. Anyway see if these pics help you see it any better.:)

Bobby Perry
09-08-2007, 6:57 PM
I like it the way it is. But how did you turn that base???:D

I like the deer horn finial. I did a small cedar box with a deer horn finial.

Robert McGowen
09-08-2007, 7:25 PM
Hi Chris,

Love the box. Finial seems too bulky and not the right material. Don't really understand why you need the base. Just my thoughts.

Robert

Larry McCumber
09-08-2007, 7:38 PM
What Robert said. I really love the (beautiful) box, but I think that finial and the base detract. That said, I would still display it prominently even if you didn't want to change anything.

Curt Fuller
09-08-2007, 8:31 PM
Chris, I really like the entire concept, especially the way you mounted the box onto the log. The only part that I'm not crazy about is the antler finial. I put an antler finial on a box a while back and had the same problem. With just a small amount of the natural surface of the antler left showing it makes it look more unfinished than natural. I really like the color and texture in the antler but on my next one I'll make it more delicate and turn away all of the natural surface. I think yours might look better that way too. That's just my 2 cents worth though.

Gordon Seto
09-08-2007, 8:48 PM
Chris,

I am also struggling in this regards. I think I would approach it differently.
You are using a rustic base; but we usually see finials in more delicate, elegant, ornate, classical turnings. Bringing these two together is not easy. It is difficult to start a new trend. This may be a good idea, but we need get used to seeing more of them first - just like coloring wood years ago.
I would also eliminate the stem and barely sunk the box into the log to go for a cleaner look.
From the new picture, the exterior of the box looks like two straight lines. I would go for a continuous curve to match the interior of the box.
I would also use some of the same decorative features on both the box and lid to tie them together. For me I would use them sparingly.
I would change the finial to a tree branch as a knob. I hope it can tie the whole design together.

I like your concept and the finish; just I have a different taste. You can tell, I also like your base.
At lot of time, I don't agree with me the next day.

Gordon

Ernie Nyvall
09-08-2007, 8:53 PM
Chris, I keep coming back to this. I like the box... pretty wood too. I think the base of the finial should be a little bigger and have a contour that fits the top of the box. Also if you could make the box flow better into the limb. It sits up too high or something... can't put my finger on it. Nice idea though.

Barry Elder
09-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Chris, I think the box is very good but the finial in color and shape contrasts rather than compliments the box. I think the base sets the entire theme of "rustic".

joe greiner
09-08-2007, 10:44 PM
My first impression was that the base doesn't bring anything to the party; but as a general concept, combining precise and rustic, I could like it after all.

The contrasting finial color looks fine to me; a similar contrast occurs when folks ebonize a finial with a light wood vessel. I think the shape of the finial could be slightly more gradual, instead of same-diameter elements.

The profile needs only a slight bit of fairing to make a softer curve.

Looks pretty good so far.

The lid, however, looks like it belongs on another box. The equal-stepped beads have no reference with the grooves on the box itself. I'd go for a couple grooves near the bottom of the lid, then sort of a triple ogee curve up to the finial, or maybe a shallower reflection of the box itself.

You asked for it; you got it. Splendid effort on design and workmanship, though.

Joe

Steve Schlumpf
09-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Interesting idea Chris! Been thinking about this one for a few hours now and this is what I came up with.

Like everyone else - I like the shape, color and finish of the box. I agree with Gordon in that the use of a finial in a rustic piece seems to be a conflict in styles and probably the main reason why so many here are having problems with the finial (shape, color, texture, etc). The stark contrast between the white finial and the darker color of the wood draws all the attention to the finial. Thats OK if that is your intention. If not - may I suggest using the same color somewhere else on the box - like the second ring down from the top. Just a little something to tie the two elements together.

Last suggestion - shorten the post that secures the box to the base. Lowering the box would give the piece more of a flowing form and feel a little less segmented.

Like I said in the beginning - interesting concept! I look forward to see where you take this!

Mike A. Smith
09-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Thats OK if that is your intention. If not - may I suggest using the same color somewhere else on the box - like the second ring down from the top. Just a little something to tie the two elements together.

Nice idea Steve, I think that might help alot.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-09-2007, 6:30 AM
Guys, this has been very helpful and I really appreciate it. Thanks for being honest with me about this,:)

Jim Becker
09-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Very nice work. I think that the finial is way too heavy, however...it looks "applied" rather than being part of the piece overall. I also agree that the lid is a little out of character with the body of the vessel.

Dennis Ford
09-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I really like the concept and the box, the finial could be slimmer but looks good as is. You might consider shortening the box just above the log. The wood and finish is beautiful.:)

Paul Engle
09-09-2007, 6:31 PM
Very nice box and lid. but the final ...ahhhh ...not so much on this piece Christopher. It would be at home on a hilt for a large carving knife or fork / or stroping steel for a carving set . :D

Christopher K. Hartley
09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
OK thanks, I have a Live Oak lidded box coming up that I may try to incorporate some of these thoughts on. Again thanks for the help.:)