PDA

View Full Version : Curly Cherry King Size Bed w/pics

Jason Tuinstra
09-08-2007, 2:08 PM
Here is the bed I finished up yesterday. I was in a huge hurry to get it set up so I didn't take any pics of it before it was installed. Needless to say, I was sick of sleeping on the floor. Nothing like starting your day by having to fight gravity. I prefer it to work in my favor when getting out of bed :D (My wife has been waiting for this bed frame since early April. The main reason for my haste.)

The design is my own so I have no idea what style it would be called. Shaker furniture is the standard in my home, but I haven't found anything in the Shaker style that I thought would look good in a king size bed. So I drew up some ideas and came up with this. A bit of an Asian/So-Cal Surfboard look??? I don't know. I'll let you be the judge.

The four frame legs are 1 7/8 and all the rails are 1 5/8 to give it extra heft. The frame is held together with bolts that I finished with gun blue and sprayed with lacquer.

There are three angled "legs" (1 3/4" square) in back of the actual headboard, only two of which you can see. I didn't like the look of the center leg showing, so I cut it off far enough down so that you can't see it. Sorry I don't have any pics of the back. The legs are held on by two bolts per leg.

Anyway, it was a fun project to finally get done. Best of all, the mattress sits a glorious 31" off the ground!

Blessings!

Jeffrey Makiel
09-08-2007, 2:14 PM
Jason,
Regardless of gravity issues, that's one nice bed to lay down on...and get up from. It looks sturdy as a champ too.

Well done!

-Jeff :)

Alex Elias
09-08-2007, 2:21 PM
very nice pieces you have on your room. Nice clean desingn.
Congrats

Jerry Dickens
09-08-2007, 2:31 PM
Did you put in any type support in the middle of the bed? I don't see anything at the foot, so I am quessing nothing there but how about the middle?

Jason Tuinstra
09-08-2007, 2:46 PM
Did you put in any type support in the middle of the bed? I don't see anything at the foot, so I am guessing nothing there but how about the middle?

Jerry,

Sorry I didn't include a picture of this. Yes, I have a center rail for support. I need this due to the fact that there are two twin size foundations that I built to support the mattress (two twins are easier to move than one large foundation). I have a center leg for the center support, but I haven't put it on yet. Sorry the pic isn't the best.

Byron Trantham
09-08-2007, 3:01 PM
Very, very nice! You must be very happy with the results.

Gail O'Rourke
09-08-2007, 3:13 PM
Gorgeous Jason, as always. Nice work. What did you use for finish?

Jason Tuinstra
09-08-2007, 3:16 PM
Gorgeous Jason, as always. Nice work. What did you use for finish?

Gail, I sprayed a pre-cat lacquer. Love the stuff.

Larry Rasmussen
09-08-2007, 3:19 PM
I'd be working 24/7 on a king bed. Nicely done, thanks for posting. I am interested in the finish as well, the cherry glows.

Keith Cope
09-08-2007, 3:47 PM
Very nice, Jason!

What a way to show off the figure, too--nice big expanse of beautiful wood!

Keith

John Buzzurro
09-08-2007, 3:48 PM
Jason,

I really like the bed. You do outstanding work.

Tom Henderson2
09-08-2007, 3:53 PM
Gorgeous. Simple and understated, the spectacular figure in the wood does all the talking.

The surroundings enhance it further; the wall coloring, the nightstands, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill Arnold
09-08-2007, 4:59 PM
Jason,

Great design! Great execution! Beautiful wood!

You've made another winner!

:)

Gary Herrmann
09-08-2007, 7:16 PM
Another wonderfully executed project, Jason. I am soo jealous of all the beautiful curly cherry you find.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-08-2007, 7:43 PM
Fantastic Jason! You have a wonderful way with wood.

Dennis Peacock
09-08-2007, 7:53 PM
Outstanding and beautiful are the words that quickly came to mind Jason!!! Very pretty indeed. :cool:

Dave Ray
09-08-2007, 9:57 PM
Jason, talent, skill and craftmanship come thru on your work. I always look forward to seeing pictures of your work. Again, this is a beautiful piece

Jim O'Dell
09-08-2007, 10:34 PM
I wondered what you had been up to. Very, very nice indeed! I don't know, Modern Mission? California Mission? Jason Mission???:D What ever category anyone wants to put it in, it's beautiful! Jim.

Craig Thompson
09-09-2007, 1:10 AM
Jason,

Very, Very, Very, Nice work....

Ernie Kuhn
09-09-2007, 1:16 AM
Jason,
What everyone else has said, exquisite!
By the way, did you also build the desk and chair? Both look kind of neat.
Ernie

Jason Tuinstra
09-09-2007, 1:58 AM
Jason,
What everyone else has said, exquisite!
By the way, did you also build the desk and chair? Both look kind of neat.
Ernie

Ernie, thanks for the comments.

I built the table a bit ago. Here's the link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24881

I built the chair a little while later. Here's the link for it: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25627

Ernie Kuhn
09-09-2007, 2:55 AM
Jason,
It was the top of the chair and desk corner in the pics of the bed that caught my eye. So glad I asked. Both are exquisite.
Ernie

Jim Becker
09-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Woha..."Tuinstra-style" hits the market!!! Awesome! And frankly, it fits quite nicely with your Shaker-style pieces.

That's a really fine bed design Jason. I'm really tempted to build one like it someday when I get skilled enough to do so...

Martin Gerber
09-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi Jason,

Beautiful bed! I am getting ready to build one this fall.

A question for you on the design - - did you angle the headboard? I cant really tell from the photos. if so, what angle.

Thanks.

Art Mulder
09-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey Jason,

Nice bed. I think you did an excellent job on grain matching the two(?) pieces that make up the headboard. Are they from the same tree?

About the legs and bolts... are there stub-tenons to help orient and position the side rails, or is it strictly butt-joined and held by the bolt? I've been pondering my own bed, so I want to know what works for others.

No door on the ensuite? Wouldn't work here... too often I get up and hop in the shower when she's trying to sleep in. :p

Michael Weber
09-09-2007, 1:19 PM
Beautiful and unique. I was also curious if the headboard is angled or if it's just the picture making it look like that. I love it.

Jason Tuinstra
09-09-2007, 5:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement! You guys are very kind.

Concerning some questions:

1. The head and foot board rails were loose tenons. For the side rails I used dowels along with the bed bolts. Due to the size and weight of the rails, I figured this was the easiest and best option.

2. Yes, the headboard is angled. The exact angle, I'm not sure. Sorry. But I've attached pictures of what the leg detail looks like and how I laid it out. They're taken from my CAD drawings. Nothing fancy. I cut them out using a combination of the table saw and bandsaw. I then made them exactly the same by cleaning them up hand planes while they were clamped together.

3. Art - you're right. Two board. Good eye. I don't think they are from the same log even though they are pretty close in color.