PDA

View Full Version : How would you repair a small problem in a french rub?

Bill Wyko
09-08-2007, 1:19 PM
The Manager of the Mercedes dealership here in Tucson has asked me to make a repair in a Humidor that I believe has a French Rub finish. It looks as though the finish came off but the spot is only about 1/16th" long and less wide. It has another problem too. He had to return it because the Humidifier was not working properly and the store put adhesive backed Velcro to hold the new one. Unfortunately that fell off and it has that sticky residue left on the Spanish Cedar. This is a very seasoned Humidor so I can't use any chemicals to get the residue off. I'm probably going to start with a scraper but if anyone has a better suggestions by all means please post them. Thanks everyone in advance.:)

Bill Wyko
09-08-2007, 4:14 PM
I guess if no one is going to help I'll go buy a book.:confused: ;) :p

joe greiner
09-08-2007, 9:33 PM
Scraping sounds best to me for the residual adhesive. Definitely not sanding, because the goop will just clog the paper and get smeared around. Even if possible, chemical treatment would do the same.

I've read conflicting information about continuity in French polishing. Some say it should be done on entire surfaces; others say it's easy to rebuild and blend scratches. Probably just slightly different techniques with the same name. A book on finishing won't hurt you.

Joe

Steve Schoene
09-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Repairing French polish is basically a matter of repolishing the surface, using the French polish technique of padding on shellac, lubricated with mineral or other non-drying oil.

What is it that makes you think it has a French polish finish? And, why do you think a part of the finish came off. Shellac has a very good record as far as adhering to surfaces so it seems a bit unusual to me unless you are talking about a scrape or some kind of mechanical damage. It's also VERY unusual for commercial products to have been French polished. Commercial products usually have been lacquered, with many products in recent years have been finished with catalyzed lacquer or other more advanced spray finish.

Larry Fox
09-09-2007, 12:07 AM
I agree completely with Steve. If it bought commercially (as opposed to a custom job) it is likely lacquer as opposed to French Polished shellac.

Bill Wyko
09-13-2007, 8:20 PM
Your right, it is a laquer. any recomendations?:o