PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly and delivery

Tom Ruflin
09-08-2007, 1:04 PM
I'm getting ready to order a g0490 jointer, but after reading a previous thread on UPS's delivery problems I am hesitant. I e-mail Grizzly and got a quick response that UPS would be used for delivery to my home. I replied and asked if they could use another company for delivery, they replied that they could use New Penn Transportation. Does anyone have any experience with them?? I have had good service from Yellow and Wadkins for machinery but bad service from UPS for small packages (they were all beat up even when marked fragile). I would appreciate any comments.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2007, 1:14 PM
Tom.......I can't answer your question but I'd sure appreciate your feedback on the G0490 jointer after you've had it and used it for a while. It's on my short list!

Good luck!

Justin Bukoski
09-08-2007, 1:37 PM
Tom,

I suggest you call New Penn and talk to them about your concerns. They are much smaller than UPS and you might get to talk to the delivery person.

Lance Norris
09-08-2007, 3:28 PM
I have had 2 Grizzly deliveries from Overnite Express(UPS Freight) and both have been fine. If you read the posts about Grizzlys customer service, I would not worry about damage because Grizzly will take care of you, Remember, nobody is going to post about how good a job UPS does, only the horror stories are going to be posted. If UPS damaged everything that Grizzly shipped, it wouldnt be long and Grizzly would be shipping with someone else. I say go ahead and give it a try and post if you have a problem.

Rob Haskell
09-08-2007, 4:15 PM
I just received a Grizzly 8" jointer delivery from UPS, they came when they said and I could see no harsh treatment of either box. Good Luck
Rob

Nate Rogers
09-08-2007, 7:44 PM
I would not worry about it, if there is any problem Grizzly will make it right..Just order it, and enjoy it!!

NAte

Tim Morton
09-08-2007, 8:26 PM
New Penn rocks!!!

keith ouellette
09-08-2007, 8:27 PM
The best advice I can give you is to be home when the delivery occurs and make sure you note the smallest amount of damage to the crate when you sign. My 8" jointer was delivered on the wrong day (I can't remember the trucking company used) while my wife was home and the driver had such a hard time with the crate and was so bothered by the ordeal she was afraid to complain about the damaged crate and was not informed about noting damage on the invoice. The crate had actually been dropped on end and broken open. I wanted the thing returned but grizzly could do little for me because no damage was noted. I argued for a month with various employees but had to unpack and test the machine. I could have lied and said I had examined the jointer but thats not my way. If damage had been noted from the start I could have sent it back at the deliverers expense without opening it or if I had been home just refused delivery. Who wants a jointer that has been dropped of a truck.

Bartee Lamar
09-08-2007, 8:46 PM
I just had a G0593 delivered, but I made the decision to have it delivered to a friend's commercial business with a dock. Then a group of my friends and I used a pickup truck to get it to my house.

It came via UPS freight ( old Overnite ) with NO damage at all. I told my friend to make sure he noted ANY damage and to take pictures if it had any damage. This is your ONLY recourse. Grizzly is very specific about this in their communications with you.

A couple of weeks earlier I had a G0441 DC delivered to my house. ( web album ) (http://picasaweb.google.com/bartee/200708CycloneDelivery) I paid the extra $32 for the lift gate. It was delivered to the foot of my driveway. I simply unboxed it and carried the pieces into the basement. Again NO damage at all.

If you are going to receive a jointer you will need a plan to get it into your shop. It took 4 guys to pickup the top of the jointer. We used a furniture dolly stapped to the box so we roll on the flat parts and only pick it up when we had to. Here is the web ablum of the jointer install. (http://picasaweb.google.com/bartee/200709Jointer)

Tom Leasure
09-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Tom,
I recieve a LOT of freight at my business & we have a golden rule about deliveries - If it's damaged - don't sign for it & send it back. Grizzly is great on customer service & so are the majority of the other tool companys but when you spend a decent amount of money on a tool you expect to have for a lifetime you do not want rebuilding it before you get to use it.

Tom Ruflin
09-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I figure that UPS can't be all bad but when a number of people have problems in different parts of the country it makes me a little leary. With Yellow and Wadkins (or is it Watkins) both machines were brought up my driveway and put in my garage ( I had liftgate service) and both drivers inspected the crates with me. The driver from Yellow Freight even wrote down some minor gouges on the crate of my Sawstop that I would not have bothered with, he just wanted to be sure I was covered if anything was damaged inside the crate. I may try New Penn Transportation and see what happens in a few weeks.

Jim Becker
09-09-2007, 11:11 AM
New Penn delivered my G1276 sander a few years ago. No problems, but it was a large truck and had to park across the road. Fortunately, my Kubota has a FEL and it was no problem taking the box off the back of the trailer and transporting it about 250' up the hill to my shop.

Vernon Taylor
09-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Tractors are a wonderful thing,I use mine with a boom pole and or a 3 point hitch utility lift)works like a small fork lift. Every shop needs one.

Steve Rybicki
09-09-2007, 9:04 PM
I recommend reading this thread and following the advise - no matter who delivers the box.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64186