PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Wood

Mike McCann
09-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I live in Cincinnati and I am a beginner woodworker. I have made a few poker tables and I am now making toy chest for my two little girls using the new yankee workshop blanket plans. THe only places I have found locally to buy wood is either the big box stores or Rockler/Woodcraft or Paxtons. They are really expensive. Does anyone know any place within a 2 hour drive from Cincinnati where I can puchase wood I am looking for pine, cherry and walnut. Any direction or leads would be appreciates.

thanks
Mike

Jesse Espe
09-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Have you tried woodfinder.com yet?

Nancy Laird
09-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Mike, I'm not sure just how far the drive is from Cincinnati, but if you could do an overnight, Hanafee Bros. Sawmill Co. in Troy, Tennessee has a NICE selection of cherry and walnut--not sure about the pine. Lumber prices are down now, so you could pick up some real bargains there. We just bought red oak at $1.00 bd/ft and hard maple at $2.10 bd/ft. He also has some 2' cutoffs that he's trying to get rid of--for free, in some nice cherry and walnut. We overloaded the truck with what we bought, so bring a BIG truck if you decide to go. They aren't open Saturdays.

Nancy (104 days)

James Phillips
09-08-2007, 4:14 PM
Lots of places in Dayton. You can also order for Frank Miller Lumber if you fall within 100 miles of his store (which I doubt, I think Dayton is on the edge). In Dayton there is the Hardwood Store ( www.thehardwoodstore.com ) and muterpaw lumber ( crlumber.com ). I have bought from both and both are good. They hardwood store sells s2s and muterspaw is rough, but will mill it for a little extra $$

Good Luck

Mike McCann
09-08-2007, 9:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Wjile the price is right Troy, TN is a little too far. I will have to check out the place in Xenia it seems to be the closest one to me by woodfinder. I will have to check out the shipping prices of Mike's here on the SMC site who makes wood runs.