PDA

View Full Version : Probably stating what everyone else already knows

Ken Shoemaker
09-08-2007, 8:09 AM
A couple weeks ago I was at the Borg and saw a large rool of rubber "SHOWER PAN". It's the material you'd put down before bathroom shower tiles. It comes in a 5' width and you chose the length you need.
Anyway, I covered my new workbench with it before glueing up my latest project. The glue went flying and with a simple cloth it cleaned up spotlessly!!! I like it so much, I've left it there until I need the benchdogs, when I simply roll it up and stash it in the corner. I put it back when I'm done. In short, I pretty much beat the crap out of it and it looks as good 4 months later as the day I bought it. The best part, so does my workbench!!! Anyway, I'm a bit slow, how many of you use a similar system??

Doug Shepard
09-08-2007, 8:21 AM
That beats the heck out of taping down long strips of waxed paper to cover everything up. I'll have to remember that one.

Carroll Courtney
09-08-2007, 8:23 AM
Ken,I must be slower.Never thouht of that,but,since I have a gift card I'm going shopping.Very good ideal.Thanks

Bob Levy
09-08-2007, 8:33 AM
I've used a large sheet of linoleum for years on top of my work bench. They normally last 1 to 2 years before I ruin it and have to replace it. I've spilled a ton of stuff on it, oil, cleaners, etc. and they've kept the oak top of my work bench looking like new.

scott spencer
09-08-2007, 8:37 AM
My TS surface is larger and flatter than my bench so I like to glue up panels there, but obviously don't want glue leaking on it. I cover it with hardboard or paneling, but never thought of anything like the stuff you described....I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Mitchell Andrus
09-08-2007, 8:42 AM
Now THAT'S a great idea. I've been using that salmon colored rozen paper.

Al Willits
09-08-2007, 9:10 AM
I watched Marks use what looked like brown construction paper on his table, figured if he could do it, why not..
Seems to work ok, but your idea might be a little easier.
Nice thing about the paper is I can write on it, nice for taking down measurements and designing stuff on.

Al

Lee DeRaud
09-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I watched Marks use what looked like brown construction paper on his table, figured if he could do it, why not.Might be the same stuff Mitchell's talking about. Don't remember the exact name for it but big rolls of it are over in the paint section next to the masking tape. I assume it's covering for mid-sized chunks of floor when a regular drop-cloth would be too big or whatever.

Jim Becker
09-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Very nice tip...I"ll have to check it out as I hate cleaning glue off my bench even though it comes off easily given the BLO treatments the bench gets a few times a year.

Michael Schwartz
09-08-2007, 1:16 PM
Might be the same stuff Mitchell's talking about. Don't remember the exact name for it but big rolls of it are over in the paint section next to the masking tape. I assume it's covering for mid-sized chunks of floor when a regular drop-cloth would be too big or whatever.

Is it Craft Paper?

Jack Ferrell
09-08-2007, 4:05 PM
Thanks Ken, I'm going to check it out for sure.

Ted Calver
09-08-2007, 10:57 PM
I use red rosin paper from the roofing section--works good, then toss it

David G Baker
09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Ted,
I use the rosin paper as well, it provides more protection than the brown craft paper. I like Ken's idea and will give it a try. Thanks Ken.

Jim C Bradley
09-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the idea. I'm heading for BORG tomorrow to check it out.

Enjoy,

Jim

Spencer Hochstetler
09-09-2007, 1:12 AM
Newspaper or brown kraft paper here. I have linoleum on one workbench which I use to mix/thin/handle/clean all my finishing stuff. Cheap (remnants) and durable.

joe greiner
09-09-2007, 7:03 AM
I'm checking the borg, too. I also use old newspapers, especially stacked several thicknesses for hand cutting with a utility knife. In lieu of newspapers per se (covered with ink, small size sheets), you can also get tail ends of the blank newsprint from your local newspaper printing plant. It runs through the press at about 30mph. The press usually holds two or three rolls in advance, with automatic changeover to avoid needing to manually thread a new roll. I've never measured the length of remnant, but it's about 1/4" thick on the 4" core. Our local rag leaves about 30-40 rolls on the loading dock each afternoon for free pickup. Some newspapers charge about $2 for the tail ends, but still a pretty good price.

Joe

John W. Willis
09-09-2007, 9:55 AM
Great tip, thanks! I usually use butcher paper on a big roll with one of those cheap "roll holder /cutters".

Brian Weick
09-09-2007, 10:08 AM
A couple weeks ago I was at the Borg and saw a large rool of rubber "SHOWER PAN". It's the material you'd put down before bathroom shower tiles. It comes in a 5' width and you chose the length you need.
Anyway, I covered my new workbench with it before glueing up my latest project. The glue went flying and with a simple cloth it cleaned up spotlessly!!! I like it so much, I've left it there until I need the benchdogs, when I simply roll it up and stash it in the corner. I put it back when I'm done. In short, I pretty much beat the crap out of it and it looks as good 4 months later as the day I bought it. The best part, so does my workbench!!! Anyway, I'm a bit slow, how many of you use a similar system??

That is exactly what I use Ken- I was making some sconce framework for under a shelf - Mosaic tile work going on the sconces and I had a 4x4 sheet of that bed liner and decided to use it- it's great, I can roll it up and store it and bring it out whenever there is something I am working on that I don't want getting all over the work bench.
Brian