PDA

View Full Version : Remote for dust collector?

Jerry Dickens
09-08-2007, 7:54 AM
I am in search of a remote to put on my Grizzly G1029Z dust collector. The unit is 220V. My total shop length is 28 feet so that is total distance unit would have to pick up signal. I would not be afraid of building my own if I knew all the parts to get before hand but leaning toward a store bought one. Any suggestions?

Doug Mason
09-08-2007, 8:59 AM
Do a search and you'll find a thread (by Dennis Peacock??). I used a remote for my DC briefly--but converted to a switch as I found it (strategically located) makes my life much simpler than fiddling/finding the remote.

Nancy Laird
09-08-2007, 9:23 AM
We've had two remotes for our Oneida, and both of the receivers have died - one lasted about 7 years, the other about 6 years. We are currently turning the circuit breaker on and off to use the DC. When we upgrade our system later this year, we will upgrade to a better remote unit. With our large shop (24x36'), we like having a remote--keep it on the top of the Bies fence.

Nancy (104 days)

Jim Becker
09-08-2007, 10:59 AM
IMHO, the "best" solution, especially for long term, is a contactor (a kind of "relay") controlled by whatever method you prefer. I use a centrally located switch in my shop as I don't feel that a carry-around remote is worth the trouble. But low voltage switching or even an inexpensive RF remote can be used to switch the contactor on and off. Like Nancy, I previously used X10 control for my cyclone(s), but they have a tendency to die after a period of time. The contactor is nearly bulletproof and can be sized for virtually any motor horsepower and amperage draw. The thread referred to above by Dennis Peacock was what inspired my own adaptation.

If you do want something "off the shelf" the Long-Ranger is available to service a 220v DC, but check the amperage draw of your intended DC to be sure it's within the capability of the remote.

Jeff Wright
09-08-2007, 11:04 AM
I always wear my heavy canvas shop apron when working. I like the convenience to my most often used hand tools and the added chest protection in case of a flying object. I attach my Oneida remote to the upper shoulder strap; haven't lost the apron . . . so I haven't lost the remote either. I would happy to get 7 years or more of use from this original equipment remote.

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.ecogate.com/

Worth every cent.

Carl Crout
09-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Woodcraft has one that works well. I think I paid $51.99 for it on sale.
The remote has a clip that you can connect to your belt loop. Its always handy. It is fairly directional like a tv remote in that you need to point it in the direction of the receiver.

The X10 is junk. The one that came with my Oneida only worked half the time from the start.

I didn't want to build my own. I want to spend my time wworking not building other stuff.

Dale Lesak
09-08-2007, 2:21 PM
I've used this system for about 10 -12 years now with no problems except changing battery's every couple of years. I have the long ranger. I have a remote on the TS , velcroed to the bies, one on the RAS velcroed to the front of the arm above the saws switch, and one on the waste gate that services the sanders. I can turn the DC on from one station and off at any one , saves a lot of steps and never have to look for the remote. :) Dale

Jerry Dickens
09-08-2007, 2:26 PM
I like the idea of multiple remotes. I will loose it if just one is to be located in a central location in my shop or if I carry it in my pocket it will end up in the wash room or in the washing maching one. OOOOPPPPPSSSSS.

Mark Engel
09-08-2007, 5:33 PM
I use the X10 remote control system. I have my dust collector and air cleaner both plugged into the system. There is one RF receiver plugged into an outlet in the shop and I have several RF transmitters attached to the walls in strategic positions and one small keychain RF transmitter attached to the TS fence.

My dust collector is currently the HF 110volt unit, but the 1 hp unit I used to have was a 220volt. You can get both 110volt and 220volt modules from SmartHome.com.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-08-2007, 5:51 PM
I have switches installed in front of each machine that turn on a relay to activate my 2hp dust collector. It's about a brutally simple and rugged as one can get. Also, no searching for the remote control!

I also built some electrically activated dampers that also use power from each machine's dust collector switch. When I activate the damper for the specific machine, the dust collector relay closes to start the dust collector. 17 years old and still going strong.

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Damper2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Damperwmf.jpg