PDA

View Full Version : Finishing over a las'ed photo?

Waymon Campbell
01-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Is it acceptable to put a coat of finishing wax over a lasered photo, or should it be left alone?

Waymon...

Keith Outten
01-30-2004, 9:24 PM
Is it acceptable to put a coat of finishing wax over a lasered photo, or should it be left alone?

Waymon...

Waymon,

I have used paste wax over engraved wooden projects in the past and it works reasonably well. I do prefer to use laquer though, it provides a long lasting protection and seals the engraved surface. Since laquer is sprayed on there is less risk of disturbing delicate areas of an engraving as well.

Barbara Gill
02-01-2004, 3:40 PM
Waymon,

I have used paste wax over engraved wooden projects in the past and it works reasonably well. I do prefer to use laquer though, it provides a long lasting protection and seals the engraved surface. Since laquer is sprayed on there is less risk of disturbing delicate areas of an engraving as well.

How delicate is the engraved area? I just finished turning a magnolia plate and was planning on contacting you about engraving a magnolia flower on it. I need something to show people when I tell them about laser engraving. Eventhough I plan on not selling the piece, I would like to know if it can still be used.

Keith Outten
02-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Barbara,

Delicate areas are based on your graphic. If when viewing your particular graphic there are tiny raised areas...areas that are engraved all around a small delicate spot then the area that is not engraved will have a higher surface. The deeper the engraving the more delicate the area will be.

Generally this isn't a problem unless the graphic is very detailed and engraved at low speed and high power levels. This will provide a 3D kind of surface, the high spots could be a problem for projects that are designed to be in service. Pictures designed to be hung on a wall aren't a concern.