PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rack, Chuck Holder, sanding disk

Brodie Brickey
09-07-2007, 11:41 PM
I rarely get a chance to post anymore, so I thought I'd get these out of the way.

The tool rack is 3 horizontal 1x4x24" pieces. On one of those pieces, mark the center and using a forstner bit drill out a 1" hole every 3 inches. Rip that board down the middle on a table saw. Mount one half roughly center on the vertical set towards the back and the other at the bottom towards the back also.

The lower rack is a 4x4 ripped at a 45 degree angle. I then drilled a couple holes and inserted pegs. Now my face plates, and chucks rest on the lower rack securely. I drilled a couple holes for live centers, drill chucks, and odds and ends.

The final item is my sanding disk. It helps me with pen blanks and hopefully will work with half rings for some segmented turning I'm planning on. Just a faceplate, plywood and some sand paper.

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2007, 9:44 AM
Brodie that is a good looking setup. Simple and functional.

Mike Peace
09-08-2007, 4:50 PM
I was looking to make a similar tool rack. I like the slanted approach vs. using a magnetic tool strip. Do you find the 1x4 base gives you enough slant to keep all of your tools secure? I was thinking it might need to be more of a slant.

Ron McKinley
09-08-2007, 5:33 PM
Nice setup. I've been looking for a good tool rack. Thanks for posting this......Ron

Brodie Brickey
09-10-2007, 7:16 PM
I was looking to make a similar tool rack. I like the slanted approach vs. using a magnetic tool strip. Do you find the 1x4 base gives you enough slant to keep all of your tools secure? I was thinking it might need to be more of a slant.

Mike,

You want to slip a little board under the back so that you already have a slant. You can also drill out some of the area where the bottom of the tool will rest using a forstner. I drilled out 1 1/4" and then stepped down even further with another forstner at 5/8". This gave me a nice resting place for the bottoms of the gouge handles.