PDA

View Full Version : New toys for the store today...

Stephen Beckham
09-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Small gloat here - picked up two new pieces for the store today. The new Epson 1400 (Epson 1280 replacement) with six ink bags and the DK20 (Swingaway).

I've been struggling with my 8.5 X 11 image from the HP 4550 and my JP12 9X12 heat press.

Now I'll be able to print 13X19 and press 16X20.... YEA....:p

BTW - got the total package for $2500 since they were display models for the INDY show. About $250 off of retail plus no shipping costs... The only thing that sucks is that I have to drive back up there tomorrow to get them!:eek: It's going to suck having new toys in my car for three hours without being able to do anything with them... Then I'll get back just in time for Church... And Sunday is booked also.... Darn - I'll have to wait till Monday.

Mike Hood
09-08-2007, 10:07 AM
VERY Cool Stephen!

I just got into Dye Sub a few months back (Epson 4800 Hybrid). It's a TON of fun, and only regret is not having enough time to get everything done I'd like to do :)

Stephen Beckham
09-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Cool - I've been doing the Laser Sub for metal plates on the trophies, plaques and picture frames. This will allow me to expand to larger items.

I'm trying to get my wife to take her place in the "Mini Mall" concept. The original plan was to offer a little bit of everything for our "Mall-less" small town. Offering the engraving and others to include Awards, Plaques, Trophies, Embroidery, Sublimation, the plan was to keep growing from there. She decided it was too risky and kept a "real" job. Now that she can do this part time out of the basement, I'll get her hooked and reel her in to be a full partner some day.

The end goal would be to buy her a 15 needle embroidery machine - the model we picked out will set us back about $16K after software and all. Once she's happy and sees that we can make money and afford to expand the business - it'll be an offering to her to seal the deal...

It's a pretty free market right now for this area - you've got to travel at least 25-30 miles to find anything nice for a gift. I'm fixing that one customer at a time... For once - it's the little guy that's taking customers from the big guys. There's still something to be said about personal relations in a retail environment. This town is eating it up...

Linda Tetreault
09-23-2007, 4:45 PM
Steve,

Go to http://www.equip-used.com/, you can get a newer machine with lots of xtras @ real nice prices. I've used this site for 2 machines, maybe you can get your wife reeled in sooner than later.:D

Stephen Beckham
09-23-2007, 9:15 PM
Linda - sweet, the first one on the list is the one we were looking at - for half off!!!

Might have to dig deeper in the pockets sooner... Thanks!!!

Mike Null
09-24-2007, 8:18 AM
Steve

Congratulations on your new equipment.

A word to the wise. Try to print something, even one sheet, everyday with your new toy. I didn't and I think mine's permanently clogged.

Stephen Beckham
09-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Mike - great tip - I saw someone else mention that he does his logo or other logos with a color bar on the bottom of the print. He said he did it once or twice a week to keep things clean. Then instead of throwing it away, he put the logos back in a stack so he'd have them when needed...

Appreciate you confirming that it's more of a neccesity than a waste of ink.

Steve

Keith Outten
09-25-2007, 4:11 AM
Nice gloat Stephen, show us some project pictures. I am new to dye-sub myself , trying to learn the ins and outs using different materials. Other than Corian I haven't done much dye-sub work yet.

Stephen Beckham
09-25-2007, 9:49 AM
Aw Keith - calling a brother out like that... Will do! But first I must set the darn thing up!

I bought the stuff knowing it won't fit in my retail store because of space - so I'm reclaiming some space in the basement to turn back into an annex of Becks Mini Mall. I figure I'll do the shirts and stuff there because that's not a order and wait item which I sell mostly from the store. Besides the National Guard Troops (my kids) will likely be doing most of the pressing for extra allowance... WHAT? WHO SAID CHILD LABOR????

I'm also wanting to play with the Corian. My father has bunch of piles of the original corian (when they only had three colors to choose from) sitting in storage. Bunch of scrap pieces - mostly 1/4" pieces used for wainescoating (spelling). He's going to bring me some since he doesn't work corian anymore to see if I can do something with it...

Either way - my wife is buggin me to set it up as well because she's dying to try some stuff... Take care....

Keith Outten
09-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Stephen,

Take your time, I'm a patient guy :)

Stephen Beckham
09-25-2007, 8:28 PM
Keith (et all),

Not from the new printer, but from the old laser printer. I've always had problems with anything when trying to press it. Using the new DK20 - I've had tremendous success... Shouldn't have skimped on the heat press for the first year of business...

Pardon the quality of the pictures... I'm using old camera and bad lighting...

Sorry - for those wondering - that is a scrap door with Dynasub Silver using Laser Toner.

Steve

Keith Outten
09-26-2007, 1:09 AM
Good looking stuff.

What is the difference between your old press and the new one?

I have a large press that is very old and doesn't have digital controls and I also recently purchased a used DC16 that I haven't used yet due to my shop schedule. I won'r have any feel for the difference in these two presses because they will be used for different purposes. The older larger press is used only for thermal bending and Corian dye-sub and it takes forever to get up to temperature.

Stephen Beckham
09-26-2007, 8:47 PM
I started out on the cheap - I budgeted for a DC16, but dropped back to the small JetPress so it'd fit on the craft bus better.

Even though it's a Knight product - it has given me nightmares since purchase. Now it only heats up half the press at full heat and the temp guage is stuck on 200 degrees (even when off). I can still use if for small plates on trophies and plaques - but I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the DK20 for my full color images.

This press is three times the size and I have full knowledge of the temp that I'm working at. It's got a pressure sensor and easier timer to use.

Beyond that - not much difference really. The customer flipped over the door this morning and ordered four more for tonight. Shamefully - I haven't purchased any new Dynasub Silver or White thinking it wasn't worth a flip. Now that I know it's the press - I'll be getting some more for future jobs.