PDA

View Full Version : Chucks

Bobby Perry
09-07-2007, 10:12 PM
If you had your choice of one of these chucks, which one would you get and why???

One Way Talon

Supernova 2

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 10:25 PM
The OneWay...which I happen to own and would buy again. I just happen to like the OneWay jaw design "a lot"...great quality product, too. But I've never used the SN...

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Bobby.......Jim and I are the same but different?

I own a SN2 and like it alot. I've never knowling used a Oneway.

Patrick Taylor
09-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I've never used either, so there!

I use the Nova midi and in general I like the nova chucks. I like that all nova jaws fit all nova chucks.

Dick Strauss
09-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Bobby,
I've used both and IMHO the Talon is the better unit because of the jaw shape (I own the Stronghold). Either way, make sure you get the serated jaws if you plan to turn wet wood. Patrick does make a good point in favor of the SN2 regarding interchanging jaws if you anticipate having multiple chucks.

FYI-I spent the extra money and bought the Stronghold figuring it would be the last chuck I bought.

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2007, 9:56 AM
Bobby I don't have either but have used both but will throw another one out there. I have the Vicmarc which has a bunch of jaws and I also have 2 of the Grizzly $99 chucks (Vicmarc knockoff I am told) of which the Vicmarc jaws will fit it. I don't like changing jaws. Anyway just a thought. All three are excellent chucks.

Bobby Perry
09-08-2007, 10:43 AM
My wife just told me she has already ordered me a chuck for the new lathe. She saw me looking at them and talked to a friend that is also a turner. She ordered the Oneway Talon on his advice. He has been teaching turning for 35 years until last year. He retired.:D

Mike A. Smith
09-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Bobby, congrats on the new chuck and the wife!

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2007, 1:00 PM
Wow Bobby you had better turn her something. Congrats on the chuck.

Dennis Peacock
09-08-2007, 1:55 PM
Congrats on the new chuck Bobby!!! It's a nice chuck.

Curt Fuller
09-08-2007, 11:56 PM
My wife just told me she has already ordered me a chuck for the new lathe. She saw me looking at them and talked to a friend that is also a turner. She ordered the Oneway Talon on his advice. He has been teaching turning for 35 years until last year. He retired.:D

Wow, good choice on the chuck and the wife. Any wife that will buy her old man a chuck is definitely worth keeping!

Harvey M. Taylor
09-09-2007, 7:29 AM
Although the Vicmark wasnt in the mix I would choose that one. Why? Because it is completely enclosed. The back of the Talon is exposed to all the dust, chips, etc. flying around when you are turning.Dust is the bane of woodworking. Sure it has dovetail jaws, along with many others, but we should try to learn something when we are turning, arent we? I have both, so am speaking from experience. At csusa they are priced the same.
Just my own observations, Max.